PDA

View Full Version : extracting guide data, subscribed unit

martin18152
01-08-2004, 04:02 PM
I know this topic is a touchy, but I am going to ask it anyhow. I have two TIVOs, pay for both, $24 dollars total per month. I want a third, but refuse to pay anymore. I donít want to go to the Canadian sites to get guide data, I red through that whole process, although I may have to. All I want is to do is share guide data between my units. Manual transfers are fine, I can automate it later. I am a semi newbe, I have a turbo net card installed in one unit. I donít have any software installed for telenet communications, but I can get there. I have upgraded my two units with larger drives. Thatís the sum total of my experience.

What I need are scrips, Iím not a programmer, but I do know how to follow instruction. I am a little weak on linux, windows works for me, if possible. From what I have read, I have to extract/intercept the data, convert it to slice files, transfer those files to my server, then have my tivo call my server, and upload the files for use. From the few posts that I have red or been able to find on this subject, this is not so easy, because the guide data is not just a simple stored file, it is downloaded, integrated into the program, then the slice files get deleted.

What I am focusing on right now is intercepting or uploading usable data from my subscribed machine. This must be possible, because the Canadians are doing it and posting it.

I know of the machine clonning methode, don't want to go there, even though I am pretty good hardware man.

A point in the right direction would be great. Thanks in advance for any help.

sanderton
01-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Sorry, but that's just stealing. You can make a case for the legality or otherwise of craeting your own guide data from scratch, but copying it form another TiVo is wrong.

I would think this site woudl be at risk of action (and we could expect TiVo's attitude to teh hacking community to change dramatically) if instructions for this were made available.

martin18152
01-09-2004, 09:39 PM
Sorry, but that's just stealing. You can make a case for the legality or otherwise of craeting your own guide data from scratch, but copying it form another TiVo is wrong.
I would think this site woudl be at risk of action (and we could expect TiVo's attitude to teh hacking community to change dramatically) if instructions for this were made available.

You might have a point on theft, me paying 24 dollars for two units in the same household, and then 36 total for 3 units. Well thatís the free market system; I donít have to use the service, if I donít want to pay. At least they could give you a reduce rate per unit, like the satellite TV companies do.

TIVO needs to get a little more completive, and user friendly. Itís my understanding that TIVO is having a little trouble in the financial area, they are freaking about losing the Direct TIVO contract. I love the service, and have invested in the hardware, which by the way is over price, really, a cheap computer, modem, and hard drive for 350 dollars, thatís why so many are buying old unit and upgrading to larger drives. Itís going cost me if they go out of business, but I can see it happening through incompetence. They really canít afford to adopt the same tactics that DTV has.

You defiantly have a point on tivo coming down on the site; this might be the most single important reason for not answering my question. From what I have read, TIVO is adopting the same black mail tactics that DTV has been using for years. They are forcing sites to delete their drive images. I bought TIVO the first year it was offered, did not buy the lifetime membership, couldnít see a hard drive running 24 seven lasting much longer than a year. But it was tempting, and would have done it if I knew what I know today. My unit failed one week after the warranty was over. Smart thinking on TIVO, have a planned obsolesce to two years, offer a lifetime subscription for 200 dollars (most people that donít read, think this is their life time, not the units, lol), the service is 100 dollars a year, what a deal. If it werenít for drive images on the net, I would have been forced to buy a new unit, and most likely would have just canceled my sub, therefore stopping the real meat and potatoes of the TIVO Company. This site is cutting into TIVO profits by just telling people how to upgrade, and save their original images, donít be surprised if it doesnít eventually get lawsuit black mailed by DTV, oops, I mean TIVO.

No flame on you Sanderton , itís probably a good Idea to not answer me on this public forum, I like the site, hate to see it shut down.

I still think the stealing issue is a matter of opinion, and not so plain and simple. I donít know if the data is encrypted, thus, violating the digital millienum act. Thatís some of the things that I will discover as my inquires are responded to. My take on it is, I paid for the data, and am using it for its intended purpose, not selling it, not trading it, or distributing it. When I give, or get a drive image, itís a repair item, you canít steal the service with a drive image, oh, I forgot that lifetime membership thing, and I guess it should be illegal to fix the modem, which is also a failure item, which would halt that lifetime membership. Forget about sending the unit in to be repaired, its 150 dollars minimum plus postage and insurance for anything, that includes a failed drive.

Sorry for the soap box, itís just that I get a little peeved when free speech is at issue, or even worse, Americaís greatest past time (the rest of the world included), watching TV, lol.

With all that said, I need a hack that will allow you to select multiple shows or movies and play then in one continuous segment.

If anyone needs a drive image for a SA series 1, send me a message.

mrblack51
01-09-2004, 11:01 PM
regardless of your moral standpoint on the issue, sanderton is quite correct in that this is blatant service theft. generating your own guide data from freely available sources on the web is fine, but taking data from one tivo and putting it on another is flat out stealing. tivo chooses to have a fee structure for various reasons, and just because you dont agree with their pricing structure doesnt mean its anything other than stealing.

we at ddb do not support service theft, regardless of what some people seem to think. the tools on ddb are all meant for legitimate use, and they are (unfortunately) abused at times.

cojonesdetoro
01-10-2004, 12:56 AM
I have an unsubbed Tivo and would love to get guide data on there. Is there a way to do it with publicly available data? I've actually messed around with slice files in attempts to populate the menu items list. It's hard to find any information on how to manipulate them. I found another way to get done what I wanted.

mrblack51
01-10-2004, 02:00 AM
I have an unsubbed Tivo and would love to get guide data on there. Is there a way to do it with publicly available data? I've actually messed around with slice files in attempts to populate the menu items list. It's hard to find any information on how to manipulate them. I found another way to get done what I wanted.

the tivo canada and the aussies have been doing this for a while. check into their stuff. be aware that, at least for the canadians, their stances on what is considered 'theft' may be different then ours. while ddb's stance is that generating your own guide data is fair game (number of good reasons, including making guide data to fit your apartment complex's headend), the canucks feel its dirty pool since we can subscribe legit.

eastwind
01-10-2004, 06:40 AM
With all that said, I need a hack that will allow you to select multiple shows or movies and play then in one continuous segment.

The hack you are looking for is merge.tcl and can be found by reference at TC if you can't find a link to it here.

ew

n4zmz
01-10-2004, 04:16 PM
The reason it is hard to find the information to manipulate them is that it is too easy to abuse the information. Most of the areas which need the information don't want people who really could subscribe to the tivo service to abuse their tools and information to not pay tivo. They want tivo to make money and new software and products.

The best information on the different slices is to use readguide or slicedump to tell you what is going on. I prefer readguide. You do need a current schema.txt file to get the most out of readguide.

martin18152
01-12-2004, 08:44 AM
The hack you are looking for is merge.tcl and can be found by reference at TC if you can't find a link to it here.

ew

Thanks, this program worked great, I just made a 6 hour tape of teletubbies to keep the baby happy.