PDA

View Full Version : custumizing the remote

Lure
08-15-2001, 09:58 AM
anyone that knows if there is a way to reprogram the remote to behave differently?

erm...what do I mean by that..let me explain a little more.

I love the ir button and the skip 30sec/skip to realtime button. they come in mighty handy. but i need a couple of more buttons JUST LIKE THAT!

I want to skip 4 sec backwarts and 8 sec backwarts 12 sec backwarts and 12 seconds forwards ect.

the nummeric buttons would be fine to program that way.

any suggestions are welcome, I hope someone has been there before or has seen a thread pointing in that direction.

TheDoctor
08-16-2001, 12:04 PM
I have not tried it, but the Remote Control port on the tivo is just an Stty port. It should be possible to repoint it to a filtering process that could watch for certail combinations and run sendkey commands. For instance, you could set it up so that after the play button is hit, the number keys get new functions until the stop or guide button are hit. Number 1 could then be set to hit the instant replay button 4 times, Num2 eight times, etc...

Of course if the filter process dies, you are going to lose your remote intill it is restarted. I am up to my eyeballs in slice file building riht now or I would take a look at it....

Lure
08-16-2001, 02:05 PM
At least it's a good idea to let the nummeric buttons change function after play is pressed. Probebly it would be even better to do the same with a different button and activate a function like that by pussing the [enter] button 3x times or something like that. In this way the skip function would also be available while whatching live tv with out recording.

Ok this is as far as Idea's are concerned. still waiting for some one how already been alone this path. but of course any opinion is welcome.