PDA

View Full Version : Show 40 posts from this thread on one page

SR712
01-10-2004, 10:25 AM
Vadim-

Would it be possible to change the Show 40 posts from this thread on one page option back to Show ALL posts from this thread on one page, the way it used to be? I like to archive Threads, and found that saving as a printable page, and then selecting Show ALL posts from this thread on one page allowed me to get a complete listing of the Thread. I could also search the entire Thread for a certain string in one search. That's helpful with some of these multi-hundred post threads. The way it stands now, since the forum upgrade, I can only get 40 posts per page. Just wondering.... :D

MuscleNerd
02-29-2004, 06:27 PM
I second this idea.

Vadim
02-29-2004, 06:29 PM
vbulletin have disabled this features themselfs, to keep resources low.. I'll see if I can edit the script myself to make it show all.

MuscleNerd
02-29-2004, 06:42 PM
I sorta figured that was the reason. Ironically enough, when I went to the vbulletin.com forums and tried to search on this issue, I kept getting timeouts because their system is too wimpy to do searches in a reasonable time :)

JJBliss
02-29-2004, 09:21 PM
vbulletin have disabled this features themselfs, to keep resources low.. I'll see if I can edit the script myself to make it show all.

So, if they disable the feature by default, to keep resources low, why would you forceably edit a script that will eat up resources?

rc3105
03-01-2004, 02:05 AM
how in the world would that limit resource usage? surely forcing folks to thrash among 40 post pages is harder on the server than the ocassional full thread dump

btw, once that works again we can attach zipped archives to the start of really long threads & update them ocassionally (download the archive, read & search with any old browser, click the next link at the end to catch the posts since the last archive update)

bato
03-01-2004, 10:11 AM
btw, once that works again we can attach zipped archives to the start of really long threads & update them ocassionally
Maybe put a limit to N for 'normal' users but the option to create the zip for longer threads by moderators?

I don't think many users will select the show all feature if they are going to read long threads anyway.

w2kr
12-23-2004, 06:36 PM
I thought I'd bump this thread and see if this limit of 40 pages is going to be extended soon.

rc3105
12-24-2004, 08:49 PM
not a vb guru, but I understand that's related to one of the security holes that's hopefully fixed :eek:

utils exist for mass-archiving forums, but lets not post links here, they're way to easy to abuse and the googlebots are allready doing a decent impression of a DDOS attack :eek: