PDA

View Full Version : XBOX Power Light Flashes Red and Green

knottydrd
01-11-2004, 01:43 PM
Hello all,

I have not modd'ed my XBOX at all. I simply booted up one day and the power light was flashing red and green. There is no display on the Television. Anybody know where to start in an effort to fix this?

--Knottydrd--

chino
01-16-2004, 08:23 AM
Hello all,

I have not modd'ed my XBOX at all. I simply booted up one day and the power light was flashing red and green. There is no display on the Television. Anybody know where to start in an effort to fix this?

--Knottydrd--

Not Modded? Do you have sound? Do you still have a waranty?

knottydrd
01-18-2004, 05:07 PM
It is out of warranty and there is no sound.

pkpss
01-18-2004, 11:55 PM
FRAG is definately a hardware failure. When soldering on the mobo and testing a boot up, if you FRAG, you most likely cross solder. Since you didn't mod you box, it's hard to tell. I would pop that sucker open if you feel comfortable (and also since the warranty is up) and have a look around. Just check and see if the DVD and HDD are inserted correctly and look for other basic problems.

learjet
01-29-2004, 11:34 PM
Hello all,

--Knottydrd--

I can fix it. Contact me at learjet@xbox-extreme.com if your interested

PixelFreak
04-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Just an idea, not saying this is the fix.

I had a FRAG one day, no mods on mine. I started freaking out, looking all around, only to find that my A/V cable in the back of the box had partially come undone (not completely, but wiggled out a little) and simply reinserting the A/V cable fixed the FRAG.

I know it's obvious, but you didn't mention checking all cables and connectors in your troubleshooting, and there's no need to open until you have done all the obvious stuff.

Good luck!
PixelFreak

pkpss
04-09-2004, 06:04 AM
That usually leads to an Orange/Green (correct if wrong) blinking.

Torg
04-10-2004, 04:40 PM
Well pkpss, you are correct orange-green means no AV pack.
Other errors:

Solid red, overheated.
Flashing green, bad bios load.
Flashing red-orange, bad video output
Flashing red-green, system faliure (can be alot of things)

BTW the boot three times, then flash red-green is usualy referd to as "Chrismas Lights". If you look arrounf xbox hacking sites, look for that specificlly. It is often casued by an improperly installed mod chip.

In knottydrd's problem tho there is no telling what caused it (he said he never opend it). It could be as mundane as a loose cable, or as bad as a cracked motherboard.

ycrazyy
04-14-2004, 04:43 PM
i've had this problem on 2 un-modded xboxes. i took them down to china town in nyc to see if they could fix them, but they wanted something like $99 to do it. my recommendation is for the cheap price of new xboxes, go out and get one that comes with a warranty. :)

yougotdeals.com
06-21-2004, 06:23 PM
Well pkpss, you are correct orange-green means no AV pack.
Other errors:

Solid red, overheated.
Flashing green, bad bios load.
Flashing red-orange, bad video output
Flashing red-green, system faliure (can be alot of things)

BTW the boot three times, then flash red-green is usualy referd to as "Chrismas Lights". If you look arrounf xbox hacking sites, look for that specificlly. It is often casued by an improperly installed mod chip.

In knottydrd's problem tho there is no telling what caused it (he said he never opend it). It could be as mundane as a loose cable, or as bad as a cracked motherboard.

Thanks for that tutorial, I didn't realize that.

unashamed
06-26-2004, 08:03 PM
i've had this problem on 2 un-modded xboxes. i took them down to china town in nyc to see if they could fix them, but they wanted something like $99 to do it. my recommendation is for the cheap price of new xboxes, go out and get one that comes with a warranty. :)

just curious, but where in chinatown did you find this. im from long island and might go pay them a visit to pick up a chip. or do you know any other sotres locally that stocks mod chips?

all4artz
07-31-2004, 02:56 AM
You know it could be you HArd DRIVE
got to ebay, and get a hard and mobo for about 50 bucks

kungpaomaster
09-01-2004, 01:48 PM
If you want to get rid of it, I'll buy the dead xbox for $30.

KPM

clvgy
11-09-2004, 05:38 PM
my xbox started flashing red and green lights. i havent modded anything but it has this horrible clunking sound coming from the hard drive. doesnt any one know what this is and how i can fix it

kungpaomaster
11-11-2004, 03:25 PM
I'm guessing a dead hard drive. It shouldn't be making that kind of sound. The only way I know to fix it yourself is to install a modchip and put in a new hard drive. You won't be able to slap a new HDD in without the modchip since the stock xbox and HDD are linked by a lock feature. The modchip defeats the HDD link check and will allow you to unlock and lock the HDD at will. I've read some hard drives are picky about being locked. Might want to check xbox-scene just to be sure.

Otherwise, I'll give up $30 for that paper weight if you're not willing to go through all that hassle. :)

Powerstride
12-21-2004, 10:24 PM
This happened to my unmoded XBox recently as well. I was getting a blank screen and a blinking red-green light. Did some playing around and found that if I hit the power button and immediately hit the eject button the screen displayed a message that I should contact support. The error code at top left was 07 (Hard drive access failure). Could be anything from loose cable to bad drive. MS wanted $80 + shipping from my end to have it repaired. I figure I might as well buy a new one at that price.

Might even buy a mod chip and play around with this one. Apparently once the mod chip is in place I could replace the HD with a new one... but not until I have a chip.

Hope this helps.
All my info on xbox was gathered from xbox-scene.com

Yevano
12-15-2005, 10:00 AM
This happened to my unmoded xbox as well. I got so pissed that I had divine intervention that inspired me to put the box in the fridge. 20 minutes later i took it out, turned it on and it worked just fine. wow. it only works once though, if you shut it off you have to "chill" it for about 20-30 minutes before the next use. MS said the same thing to me: $80 + shipping. the heck with that. I live in Northern Michigan so I'll just stick it outside for 20 minutes before use.
good luck!

Narf54321
12-15-2005, 10:41 AM
You don't necessarily need a mod chip. Look for a download called xboxhdm. I believe v1.9 is the latest, but check around. You'll also need Slayer's Evox for the original drive files, if you can't recover them from your own drive.

Anyway, it now contains a utility for creating a new HDD for your xbox from scratch (you'll need a model which "locks", so I suggest sticking with seagate or something).

The modchips aren't really needed these days. Of course, the makers and vendors will tout how much "better" they are than a softmod, but in reality they both accomplish the same thing. Some newer modchips have some utilities built-in to make your life a tiny bit easier, such as drive-formatting and drive unlocking, but how many times are you really going to use those features? Just softmod Krayzie's Ndure using an Action Replay and old copy of MechAssault (or Splinter Cell, the original one).

kungpaomaster
12-26-2005, 05:38 AM
xboxhdm is great. But this guy can't even access his xbox's original HDD. Pls correct me if I'm wrong. If your stock, unmodified xbox's HDD dies, your only home option to recover is a modchip. Softmods depends on you using a game exploit to initially access the xbox to get the EEPROM for use with xboxhdm (or whatever utility you want to use to lock the new HDD). If the xbox doesn't even power up correctly how do you get the EEPROM info to lock the new HDD?