PDA

View Full Version : ir-blaster numerophobia

Santos
01-12-2004, 11:37 AM
I'm figuring this is a straight hardware problem, but I thought I'd bounce it off the wall here and see if anyone else has run across it. I've got a Series 1 Tivo using the IR blaster to control a Motorola digital cable box (sorry, don't know model 'cause Comcast seems to have removed all identifying marks.) Everything's been working fine for over a year. Last week I noticed that the Tivo was recording the wrong channel, not always but occasionally. After a little investigation, it appears my Tivo can no longer send the number "6" over the IR blaster. After trying other remote setups I've ordered a replacement blaster, but has anyone out there had a similar experience?

nfoote
01-14-2004, 10:43 AM
I have the same problem with the number six.

captain_video
01-14-2004, 11:10 AM
I remember having similar problems back in the days that I had a SA Tivo. Aside from finding a different set of IR codes that work, try setting delays between each number as it's being transmitted. One of the biggest problems I found when using an IR blaster setup is that the receiving device isn't able to respond to the input codes as quickly as the transmitting device can send them. Inserting a short pause between each digit allows the receiver to respond properly.

I just ran across this link that talks about setting up your Tivo with a Motorola digital cable box that you may find to be of interest:

http://tivohelp.swiki.net/6

nfoote
01-14-2004, 11:50 AM
I have had my tivo since the year it was first available. I know how to set up the tivo to work with the cable box. I know about trying slower speeds. The lash-up has worked fine until a couple of months ago. All other numbers and combination of numbers work fine except any with a six in it. The six is not being transmitted. If I am on a channel and use the channel up or down on the remote and the next channel has a six in it it will skip that channel. The cable box can be set to any channel using its remote and then the tivo can record that channel fine. A programable remote for the tivo also has the same result, so it is not the remote.

Santos
01-16-2004, 03:06 PM
One mystery solved, another appears. Got the new IR Blaster. Hooked it up. Still no 6's. Cussed some. Started going through all the Motorla codes again, and was shocked to find one that worked. I swear it wasn't there last week, but I've been wrong before (well, just once.) The number was >1000, but I don't remember it right now. I'll check when I'm next around the Tivo and post it here.

Which leads me to this question. Does the unit get new Remote codes as part of the DailyCall or just programing info?