PDA

View Full Version : Turbonet stopped working



grog54321
01-12-2004, 04:56 PM
Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded my Hughes DTivo running 2.5 to 3.1 using Kraven's 3.1 Tivolater. After the upgrade my Turbonet was still working fine. However, I hit a problem when I mistakenly re-ran the guided setup and it kept hanging after the satellite signal test. I eventually traced the problem back to my modified boot299.btl so after temporarily restoring the original all was well. However, after getting it running again I noticed my Turbonet no longer works. Running ifconfig shows that eth0 isn't even present. Trying to insmod the ax88796.o driver returns "device or resource busy". I checked the kernel log and found this:

Jan 12 20:29:38 (none) kernel: Configuring network...
Jan 12 20:29:38 (none) kernel: Loading 8390 driver
Jan 12 20:29:38 (none) kernel: Probing for Ethernet card
Jan 12 20:29:38 (none) kernel: NE*000 ethercard probe at 0x300
Jan 12 20:29:38 (none) kernel: not found (not an 8390).
Jan 12 20:29:38 (none) kernel: tivone.c: No NE*000 card found at i/o = x300
Jan 12 20:29:38 (none) kernel: /lib/modules/tivone.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
Jan 12 20:29:38 (none) kernel: ax88796: updated tlb entry 3 to 1M
Jan 12 20:29:38 (none) kernel: ax88796: NIC not found at 0xf4000000
Jan 12 20:29:38 (none) kernel: ax88796: driver installation failed
Jan 12 20:29:38 (none) kernel: /lib/modules/ax88796.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
Jan 12 20:29:38 (none) kernel: No card found

I don't know what the heck happened because like I said it was working fine before. I didn't even open the Tivo up while I was messing around so I highly doubt something happened to the card.

Any ideas?

chinhster
01-13-2004, 11:04 AM
Don't know if this will help but I had a similar problem. I have 2 DTivos with turbonets and they both stopped working about the same time. I rebooted both of them to no avail.

I figured it was a network problem (router, hub, or wiring) and pretty much ignored it. However, I replaced the fans in both of the DTivos a while back and while my primary one was open, I reseated the card. That seemed to help but eventually, the turbonet on it stopped working.

Well, the other day while putting my primary DTivo on a UPS, I had to disconnect it and lo and behold, the turbonet started working again. I haven't verified whether my 2nd DTivo's turbonet card is working again because it's disconnected from the network and I don't like rebooting it if I don't have to, it's very finicky.

grog54321
01-13-2004, 05:31 PM
Well, I got it working again. Since you had similar experiences I thought maybe these cards can be a little flaky so I opened my machine back up and checked the card to make sure it was seated well. It appeared to be fine but I gave it an extra push anyway. Booted back up and then it was working again. When I was reassembling things I noticed my second hard drive was pushing against the card quite a bit so I maneuvered things the best I could to keep it from pushing on it so hard. Once it was all back together it was still working fortunately.

I assume that must've been the problem but it really didn't seem like I did much of anything. I hadn't even taken the thing apart when it first stopped working, although I had a couple of days ago to do the 3.1 upgrade so I'm thinking it may have had a somewhat loose connection from then.

Anyway, it's working again so I'm happy. At least I avoided rebuilding the whole damn thing again. Thanks for the advice.