PDA

View Full Version : Sony Sat-T60 that won't boot up.

jwmghf
01-13-2004, 06:05 AM
Hi guys:

The drives are fine. They boot up fine in a different T60. I run Xtreme on them again and put them back in the problem unit and all I get is the "Powering Up" screen and after 30 seconds or so, its reboots and does the same thing. Sometimes it reboots faster than that. It will say, "Powering Up" and then reboot immediately. I removed and re-installed the power ribbon cable but that didn't do anything. I'm not sure if there's anything else I can try. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

jwmghf

GREEK
01-13-2004, 08:07 PM
boot with the 25 xtreme cd and press enter twice. at the second prompt :

# edit_bootparms hd? -i

then press enter and you should come back to a # prompt

control alt delete and pop them back in. The ? in hd? is b c or d (your drive location)

jwmghf
01-13-2004, 11:49 PM
So you want me to hook up only the A drive and not Both A and B drives?

Boot up the computer with A drive attached to hdc (in my case). Let Linux load up and then hit enter twice.

So it should like this:

#
# edit_bootparms hd? hdc (enter)

ctrl-alt-del

Linux begins its shutdown. Once finished then...

Take the drives out put them back in the T60 and start it up.

Does the above look correct to you. If so, I will give it a shot tomorrow.

Thanks,

jwmghf

PS. I PM'ed you.

GREEK
01-15-2004, 01:03 AM
yep, just the A drive. If you have a voltmeter you can try AFTER that to tweak the supply. It should ideally be be 5.10 on the 5 volt lead. sometimes a tiny bit up or down will smooth things out. First thing you should do is check all 10 leads for their voltages and record them on paper, that way you know what changes were made if any and to where, in case its unstable and you go back.......

GREEK
01-15-2004, 01:04 AM
you forgot the -i option on you command line

edit_bootparms hdc -i

hdc in YOUR case, not everybodys..........

jwmghf
01-15-2004, 11:54 AM
Thanks Greek:

I'll give it a whirl this afternoon and let you know how I make out. I'll look around for a volt meter but I think it packed away. We just moved in recently.

jwmghf

bluegecko
02-13-2004, 01:03 AM
boot with the 25 xtreme cd and press enter twice. at the second prompt :

# edit_bootparms hd? -i

then press enter and you should come back to a # prompt

control alt delete and pop them back in. The ? in hd? is b c or d (your drive location)

I am having the same problem with my SAT-T60. Will the above procedure ONLY work when booting off the 25Xtreme CD, or can i use ANY Linux bootup CD. Is edit_bootparms something that is only available on the 25Xtreme CD?

GREEK
02-14-2004, 03:10 AM
works with any bootable linux cd.........

zrdan
02-28-2004, 03:12 AM
I'm having the same problem with a t-60. It's been working fine for many months, and today I had it unplugged for several hours (got new carpet). When I hooked it back up, it keeps rebooting. "Welcome...Powering Up" for about 5 seconds, then reboots.....same process over and over. I've read all the info I can find on this, and tried several things. The edit_bootparms hda -i didn't seem to work, but I'm not 100% sure I did it correctly. I've checked the 5vdc going to my HD (120Gig Maxtor) and it reads 5.10 vdc. Any other suggestions?

cali
02-28-2004, 08:50 AM
bump it up to 5.25 and try again.
Try a diff drive/reimage.
You gotta try the basic stuff listed in this section first.

zrdan
02-28-2004, 09:28 AM
bump it up to 5.25 and try again.
Try a diff drive/reimage.
You gotta try the basic stuff listed in this section first.

I can't locate the potentiometer on the pwr supply....how do I adjust 5v?

NEVER MIND I found it! duh....