PDA

View Full Version : TURBO net on dial up

martin18152
01-13-2004, 09:32 AM
What do you have to do to get TIVO to use a computer gateway on a dial up ISP? I have a friend who would like to use a turbo net card on a dial up ISP. I know how to share out, or network computers on a dial up using a single gateway computer on a dial up connection, but how, or can you do the same thing with a TIVO? I know how to set the IP static, which is the first step, but what else do you need to do, or can you do.

Thanks

dpmohne
01-13-2004, 10:13 AM
What you are asking for here would be dial-on-demand, the way that I set this up is I have a gateway for the house that supports this. I didn't personally do it with a tivo, but other devices.

Duane

What do you have to do to get TIVO to use a computer gateway on a dial up ISP? I have a friend who would like to use a turbo net card on a dial up ISP. I know how to share out, or network computers on a dial up using a single gateway computer on a dial up connection, but how, or can you do the same thing with a TIVO? I know how to set the IP static, which is the first step, but what else do you need to do, or can you do.

Thanks

martin18152
01-13-2004, 10:53 AM
What you are asking for here would be dial-on-demand, the way that I set this up is I have a gateway for the house that supports this. I didn't personally do it with a tivo, but other devices.

Duane

At one time, before I had wide band, I had one computer on a dial up and hooked up to a linksys router with 3 other computers. It was a simple matter with winxp to share the other three computers out to the dial up, by assigning the dial up computer as a gateway on each computer. It was on demand, if any individual computer required access, the gateway computer would dial up and connects, this was a problem at times due to spy ware request, and you need something like zone alarm to fix this.

I'm assuming something like this can be done with a TIVO as a client computer on system.