PDA

View Full Version : DSR6000 motherboard problem

singingfrog
01-14-2004, 11:20 PM
Here is my problem,
My unit will not boot whatsoever. It hangs on the welcome screen and will go no further. I replaced the hard drive, ribbon cables,etc. etc.
After hours of troubleshooting and comparing my findings with a working unit that I also own, I discovered that the power input connector on the motherboard has a short to ground on pins 2 & 3.
I do believe this is where my problem lies because (and I'm assuming) that is the only thing I found that was different between the two boards.

Has anyone had this same problem? Can anyone tell me what needs to be replaced? or steer me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance

GREEK
01-15-2004, 12:56 AM
Are you talking about C256 and C259? This is the 30 volt line and is the supply to the tuner modules. You probably have some other problem as well. I am yet to see that stick a tivo. Either the ground is hard and keeps the supply from kicking in, or it just holds down whatever is on that line, in your case the tuners. I would grab the schematics and look over some other voltages. Do you have any damage to the modem circuit behind the phone jack, there are some small voltage regs and a medium and large size IC both left and further left that may have some damage. U13 is the large one to the left, if thats bad it will hold the tivo at welcome screen. Otherwise try the edit boot parms trick and let it sit for a few minutes to initialize.......

singingfrog
01-15-2004, 01:23 PM
(Quote)Do you have any damage to the modem circuit behind the phone jack, there are some small voltage regs and a medium and large size IC both left and further left that may have some damage. U13 is the large one to the left, if thats bad it will hold the tivo at welcome screen. Otherwise try the edit boot parms trick and let it sit for a few minutes to initialize.......

All the ICs look as good as new. No discoloring, bumps or signs of cold soldering.

I stumbled upon a post earlier that suggested removing tuner 1 to see if thats where the problem lies.

Will try that and report back.

singingfrog
01-16-2004, 12:32 AM
Well im here to report that following a prior post left by Greek, I removed tuner #1 and sure enough the system booted to the next screen "almost there a few more second please" but still will go no further, so I am making some progress.
Removed tuner #2 and had the same problem. Replaced the power supply-no luck.
Replaced both ribbon cables-no luck.
Replaced(swapped out with a working one)the HD and still hangs @ a few more seconds please.
I installed a used tuner in slot #1 just to see if maybe it required at least one tuner to boot and found the same problem.(stops @ a few more second please)

Should I lift the legs on the lnbp chips?
Will the unit boot with both lnbp chips removed?
All the modem chips look good, no signs of being burnt or bubbles on the tops.

I'm getting there, just need to know if I'm barking up the wrong tree by removing the legs on the lnbp chip.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

GREEK
01-16-2004, 02:07 AM
I would now make sure modemtest is removed first, its in /tvbin
just rm modemtest and type reboot. After that I wouldnt lift the legs, your just gonna break them. If you plan on popping new lnbp chips on there go ahead, but the legs are REAL delicate. A lift and then a nudge back down will often snap them. I think you have a main chip problem, but you SHOULD have 29 volts on C256 and C259 regardless. Test like I told you before, and give me the voltages on all TEN of the caps (including the ones above) by the parlex ribbon connector, starting from the top down. ie 12.1, 29.6, etc.............

singingfrog
01-16-2004, 02:45 PM
Greek,
If I remove both lnbp chips, and tuner#2 is removed, will the system still completely boot?

GREEK
01-17-2004, 06:53 PM
you can remove just about everything except for the 3 main chips and it'll still boot and function somewhat. MAKE SURE your modem is disabled. I usually do a component at a time if I'm really stuck and no voltages show problems. tuners and chips are fine being off, if thats the problem, it will boot after the bad part is free from the board........

singingfrog
01-17-2004, 08:12 PM
Thanks again Greek,
You have been the only one to respond on any of my post's.
Do you have a Paypal account?
I would like to say thank you with a little of the green stuff.

NutKase
01-17-2004, 08:24 PM
Thanks again Greek,
You have been the only one to respond on any of my post's.

Can you post what happens or what the results are. Although, I don't know much about hardware I'm learning and like reading about it.

NutKase

PS. Greek has the hardware hacking all but whipped :)

GREEK
01-18-2004, 12:08 AM
information is free, thats generous, thanks, but keep it for parts. were all here to help eachother, I read stuff everyday I didnt know, the day I stop, I'll be dead.........

singingfrog
01-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Can you post what happens or what the results are. Although, I don't know much about hardware I'm learning and like reading about it.

NutKase

PS. Greek has the hardware hacking all but whipped :)

Thanks NutKase
Haven't had a chance to look into this unit further. Once I get a couple of hours to toss to the wind, I'm going to remove some more parts to see what happens & then I will let you know. :)

singingfrog
01-18-2004, 09:31 PM
information is free, thats generous, thanks, but keep it for parts. were all here to help eachother, I read stuff everyday I didnt know, the day I stop, I'll be dead.........

Thanks Greek, I'll let you know what I found with this unit when I get some time.

The more I learn, the more I will be able to help someone else as well.

singingfrog
01-24-2004, 01:34 AM
Well here's the scoop,
Removed both LNBP chips.(I found replacements from Chazbell-Thank you Chazbell!) & booted up the system and found that I cannot get past the "welcome powering up" screen again.(am I having fun yet?)

I used a hard drive with 3.1(no modem check) from a good working unit, but still no luck:(
Tommorrow when I can keep my eyes open i'm going to take a closer look @ my desoldering job just to be sure I did'nt mess up the works.

I'll let you know what I found.

GREEK
01-25-2004, 02:44 AM
you've got a hard short on U13, you need to remove the chip and REALLY clean up the solder so NO pads are grounding out. That should free up your problem. Be careful with the tuner/chips, get it booting with the tuners off, and then put back on one at a time. If you already got 2 lnbp chips then pop the old ones off and new ones off with the tuners removed, then make sure it boots, and add a tuner at a time.................

singingfrog
01-25-2004, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the last post Greek,
Removed both tuners, both lnbp chips and the ic @ u13 and still stuck @ "welcome, powering up"
I know it's not the hard drive because I'll take the same hard drive and place it in my other Tivo, and the unit boots just fine.
I have checked the power supply for proper voltage per the schematic that I have for the sat-t60 and everything is as it should be.

I have replaced the ide cable as well.

Next step?

singingfrog

Loopie111
01-25-2004, 07:17 PM
This might be a shot in the dark but take your HD and burn a new image of 25xtreme on it. If this machine has not had the prom flashed from the 25xtreme image and you try to install a working xtreme version from a different tivo you will be stuck at the "welcome" screen.
Good Luck

singingfrog
01-25-2004, 07:34 PM
This might be a shot in the dark but take your HD and burn a new image of 25xtreme on it. If this machine has not had the prom flashed from the 25xtreme image and you try to install a working xtreme version from a different tivo you will be stuck at the "welcome" screen.
Good Luck
You da man Loopie111,
Nothing like feeling like an idi*t. Re-imaged the hard drive w/ 25xtreme and the system booted up all the way.
I have reinstalled tuner 1 then rebooted-all ok.
I installed a new lnbp chip, then rebooted-all ok
I installed a new lnbp chip for tuner #2, then I rebooted-all ok.
Reinstalled tuner #2 and the system booted fine.
I guess my problem was in the U13 i.c. that Greek suggested I remove.
Now I just need to see if both sat inputs will receive and lock in the sat signal. will let you know.
Thank you Greek & Loopie111

GREEK
01-25-2004, 09:41 PM
technically, if your prom isnt flashed, it wont hang at welcome, it will actually display "cannot boot kernel" but loopie is on the right track, I have seen corruption from continously hot plougging the tivo trying to get it boot and hose the image, that was great advice. Hope you get signal, at least you can get to the signal test screen now right :D

singingfrog
01-26-2004, 02:33 PM
Hey Greek,
I'll bet I did hose the image by hot-swapping.
After installing both tuners, I found that tuner #2 was bad.
I replace #2 tuner & all is well.
Are the tuners available for purchase anywhere?

GREEK
01-26-2004, 06:41 PM
look in the forsale section, theres a guy named greek that has a thread in there with any parts you need..........