PDA

View Full Version : Dialing WebTV won't stop - HD upgrade

BigHatGMW
01-16-2004, 01:08 PM
I know there have been many threads on this subject, and I believe that I have read them all.... BUT!

I purchased a DWD490RE off ebay, and while the Demo Mode issue was happening, I decided to play around with it (before doing all the reading. DOH! :eek: ) I managed to fry the orignal HD, so I started doing my reading...

Here is where am at...
Computer:
Win XP
I have winhex

New Drive from Best buy = Seagate Barracuda 80 gig (ST380013AR)
UTV 3.5 file from web
New browser file from this awesome site for 80 gig HD.

Last night I was able to load, and save the 3.5 OS to the new drive at offset 13480600.
I also loaded the new browser file at offset 126c570000.

Plugged the new drive into the UTV, and powered up...
DIALING WEBTV. I cannot get out of it...

I can't dial in 'cuz I have no land line, nor do I have any connection to the net, so I can't go that route.
Most threads have said this is due to something wrong with the 3.5 image from the web, and or the IDE cable, and or something I did to the drive while in winhex...
I do have one thought... when I was playing with the original HD, the OS was at offset 15480600. Last night I forgot about this, and put it to the other offset. Would this make a difference? The UTV has not been plugged in for a week or more, and this is an entirely new drive... Wouldn't the UTV unit just go to the first Fsno, and go from there?

Should I re-image this to the 15480600 offset?
Do I need to hotswap this since it has been plugged in, and fired up in the UTV?
Should I zero out the drive, and only put the OS on? Not the browser?
Would jumpering the J1103 spot do anything for me on this?

What should I do first?!? Please help this newbie out!

Thanks in advance!
BigHat

cyberbob25
01-16-2004, 02:10 PM
I can't answer all your questions, but I can help you out a little bit.

First and foremost, the demo mode problem is no longer an issue. As of January 12th, DirecTV put the required file back into the stream. This eliminates any issue of you having to apply the browser file yourself.

Secondly, I don't know if this would cause your particular problem, but when that browser partition DID need to be applied, you could not do it at the same time that you were applying the OS. You had to apply the OS, boot up the UTV to the welcome screens, then do the hot swap to apply the browser fix.

My recommendation is forget about the browser partition for now and reapply your OS. You can do this either by the hot swap method or pulling the drive, running mhd3 on it and then copying the image over. As for where to apply the image, it should be applied at offset 13480600, which is sector 631811 (don't confuse these two). Because it's a new hard drive, it will always look for the OS at the first location. As for the image itself, where did you download it from? The images located at Tivostuff.com have been verified to work, so if that's where you downloaded the image from, then your image is fine.

Hope this helps!

BigHatGMW
01-16-2004, 02:41 PM
I did get the image off of tivostuff, so I guess that I do not need to worry about that.

I will load the new drive up again, and get rid of the browser portion.

I will make sure of the sector that I wrote the OS to. I know what offset I did it in, and it is 13480600, so I am quite certain that it is in the right sector. There were no posts that I found saying that the OS would go elsewhere unless you got over 120 GB's...

I will post back to let all know what happened.

Also - I have tried to use MHD3 a couple of times, and ( :confused: 'puter) will not boot from the disk I have made so I am out on that... wish that I could find a win98 'pute to use for this moment!

cyberbob25
01-16-2004, 04:44 PM
In winhex, when you use the clone disk function, you MUST type in the sector #, not offset #, for where you want to write the OS to. If you typed the offset # in this window, that's your problem.

As for your MHD3 problem, in XP, if you go to "My Computer", right-click on your floppy drive, and then click on format, there will be an option at the bottom that you can check that says, "Create MSDOS boot floppy", or someting to that nature. Just create a boot floppy that way, and extract MHD3 onto that disk. Works great.

BigHatGMW
01-16-2004, 06:14 PM
I did not use the Clone Disk option of winhex.

I DL'd 3.5 from Tivostuff.com

opened the new drive in winhex
chose goto position, and offset 13480600
then opened the file that had the 3.5 OS, and chose edit, select all, copy sector - Normal
clicked on the window that is the new HD
Made sure that I was still at 13480600
chose edit, clipboard, write.

Then looking at the window, I could see that it dropped the info in the correct location according to the threads that I was following.

I have created a boot disk for the 'puter I am using, but when I reboot, it falls on it's face, and cannot recognize the disk.
I did it with the MHD3 file on the disk, and also with it as a blank standard boot disk... the 'pute is a piece of $%^*!!!

I will let you know what I find...

geminicat
01-16-2004, 06:37 PM
Not sure about the clipboard thing but this is what you should be doing

Anyways if the drive is zeroed out you then need to open Winhex
Select Tools, Then Disk Tools, then Clone Disk.

The dialog Clone Disk(Copy Sectors) will appear

Click on the button next to Source file

A new window will appear that says Select Disk. Make sure the line"Read sectors from image file." is checked. Click OK.

Now find the 3.5 or 3.7 image on your hard drive and select it.

In the dialog Clone Disk(Copy Sectors). Make sure "Copy entire source file." is checked

In Start sector(dest. disk): Put in 631811 (this is LBA 13480600 or sector 09a403 in Hex).

Click OK. It will write the sectors and the drive should be showing the data starting at 13480600. NOTE: You will get warning messages about writing to your drive

At the end it should say. 65536 sectors copied

cyberbob25
01-16-2004, 09:35 PM
Geminicat is exactly right. Try using this method instead, as this is the way that it seems everybody else has been doing it and succeeding, including myself.

As for the boot disk, what exactly do you mean by "falls on it's face"? If you create a boot disk, and can't boot off of it, then it makes absolutely no difference what operating system you run...windows 98 wouldn't save you here. Again, without a little more detail, can't help you in this respect, other than to say that you need to check your BIOS boot order, though it doesn't sound like this is the problem. Does your floppy drive work when you are booted in windows? This is the only other thing I can think of is hardware failure.

As I stated before, you really don't need to use the MHD3 method, just use the hot swap...it's a bit more of a pain in the ass (in my humble opinion), but it works.

whynodss
01-18-2004, 11:16 AM
i have a brand new 80 gb wd.....how do i zero this drive out...i have read a hundred posts and cant seem to find it..i have seen posts on how to unlock and erase current utv drive.....

geminicat
01-18-2004, 11:31 AM
and never been formatted no need to zero it out. However if it has some sort of formatting or partitioning on it zero it out using winhex it will take a few hours.

whynodss
01-18-2004, 12:47 PM
ok i am using a drive with old win 98 on it...40 gb...i am in winhex..how do i zero it out.....

geminicat
01-18-2004, 03:27 PM
You now want to go to offset 0. To do that look down to the bottom of the window. It should show "Offset: 0". Click on the box that says "Offset: 0"
A dialog box will open titled "Go To Offset". . In "New Position" put 0. Make sure "relative to beginning of file is checked. Click OK". Hit Ctrl a and everything should be highlighted. From the Edit Menu. Select Fill Block. The Fill Block Dialog will appear. Select the first option and make sure it says 00. Click OK.A new window will appear warning you that you are writing directly to disk. Click OK. couple of more boxes will say somwething about "writing to disk". Like I said above it will take awhile for an 80GB drive.

whynodss
01-18-2004, 09:15 PM
i got mine to work....i am still having a problem unlocking a couple drives but i did get one to work and the instructions were perfect

thanx again

BigHatGMW
01-19-2004, 09:08 AM
Finally found out why the 'pute would fall on it's face with the boot disk... You need to hit F2 on a Dell after the initial BIOS screen, it will then boot from the boot disk... I do not know if this is due to the BIOS boot order, or not, but I have been able to make it work.

Booted from floppy, and ran MHD3, unlocked, and cleared original drive, loaded OS, and put it back in the UTV, it works, just as all the people have said.

Since this is my first UTV, I will leave the original drive in for a couple of weeks, and then try some other testing before upgrading to the 80 GB that I bought. I will have to work on the warm boot method so the I do not need to zero out the drive again...

Just as a thought, is there a program out there that will just Unlock the drive, and not go through the Zero out process? MHD3 was a fast tool, but it will kill out all on the HD... just a thought.

Nokraden
02-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Please Delete Me