PDA

View Full Version : S2 DTivo drive bracket problem

captain_video
01-17-2004, 01:45 PM
I just discovered a problem in the way the hard drive brackets on a series 2 DirecTivo are installed. The bracket is attached to the chassis with double-sided tape. No other hardware is used to mount and secure this bracket. I found out the hard way when several Philips DSR7000's I ordered from Orbitsat.com arrived with the hard drives bouncing around inside the cases.

They had placed two DTivo boxes in a single larger box for shipping. In order to do this, the two DTivo boxes had to be inserted in the larger box by standing them on their sides with the DTivos inside standing vertically rather than horizontally. The extreme cold weather we've had here in the northeast caused the tape on the drive brackets to freeze up and lose their adhesive properties. That, coupled with the excess vibration induced during shipping, shook the drive brackets, with hard drive attached, free from the chassis.

The IDE and ribbon cables were both dislodged and in one case the ribbon cable was completely disconnected from the mainboard. One hard drive had thrashed around so violently such that it cracked the power supply board and broke two of the nylon standoffs securing the board to the bottom of the case. I'm still waiting to hear back from Orbitsat as to what they will do about this. Fortunately, the other three DTivos were fixable by simply repositioning the drive bracket and reseating it with the tape and applying pressure along with reseating the dislodged cables. The 4th unit with the broken PS board is DOA.

GREEK
01-17-2004, 11:24 PM
thats nuts, too bad you werent close to here I could swap out some bad parts on that one :D I took a look at a couple that are here, and only 1 out of the bunch (hdvr2,dsr700,dv39) is like this. The rest have a screw mount to the chassis, I never even noticed the double sided tape before. Whats the manufacture date on those? This one is the oldest of the bunch, Jan. 03, its a philips. I'm thinking these are prelim design or maybe refurbs? Most guys dont even have the non RIDs anymore, Ive looked around north NJ and only a local expo had 2 in stock, all are RIDs anymore...........

captain_video
01-18-2004, 12:55 PM
The date on all four units is 07 Sep 03. I first noticed that something was fishy about the way the bracket was mounted on one of my HDVR2's when I noticed it was mounted at an angle. I didn't confirm that they were mounted with sticky tape until the units just came the other day. I could probably fix the power supply as it's probably just a couple of broken tracks. Soldering jumpers on a PC board is no big deal but as this is a brand new unit I'd rather get a replacement. Something tells me that Orbitsat will want to file a claim with UPS but it was clearly not the fault of UPS. The darn things were placed in the shipping container standing vertically. Coupled with the vibration and thge cold weather, the sticky tape just couldn't hold up to the stress and the bracket gave way. I was lucky the other units weren't damaged as well. FWIW, Orbitsat has the DSR7000 listed on their website for a multitude of various packages which leads me to believe they've got a ton of these in stock.

GREEK
01-18-2004, 03:50 PM
I agree, dont even bother trying to repair. Who knows how banged up things got inside there, a drive is very heavy for the fragile components, maybe trouble down the road. Its amazing they would even use tape at all??

tytyty
01-18-2004, 03:57 PM
GREEK I was looking at the S2 internal (HDVR2 and DSR 7000) looks like with a little finagling this could be done, as I have a spare bracket :) Im going to buddies machine shop tommorow.

Hmm keep the fan?

GREEK
01-18-2004, 04:10 PM
so yours are taped too? WTF? I never thought the 99 discount was that tight! Thats a good idea, post your results, I got a milk crate full of brackets..........

petah
02-02-2004, 05:27 PM
wish I'd read this before I upgraded my parents tivo. they sent it to me, I threw in a second drive and on the way back the original mount came 'untaped' and destroyed the white ribbon cable. and even better - the d@#n thing won't even boot. no fan spin, bothing. he claims the power supply looks ok though.

so now i can't find another white cable,

and

doesn't seem like the tivo will boot even if i do.

any suggestions?

captain_video
02-02-2004, 05:34 PM
You might consider hardwiring a ribbon cable between the two boards. Unsolder the existing ribbon cable sockets and get an old ribbon cable from a floppy drive or IDE connection and cut out a small section. Strip it down to the same number of conductors as the Parlax cable and solder the ends to each board. If you wanted to get reall fancy you could get a header to solder to one of the boards and add a connector to the end of the cable so you could easily disconnect the boards from each other. As long as the drive or the power supply weren't damaged it should still boot fine.

petah
02-02-2004, 05:59 PM
Thanks Captain video, those are good ideas, but unfortunatley I don't think my parents would want to give it a shot, and after paying usps 20 bucks to destroy it in route I'm not really keen on shipping it back and forth again and risking more damage :)

It's unlikely that replacing the ribbon cable going to the ir port will fix my power problems, isn't it? its a tivo 240080 model, and currently there's no fan spin/ green light when it gets plugged in.

such a bummer.

Thanks

captain_video
02-04-2004, 01:39 PM
Check the power supply board and see if it was damaged. I had one get smashed by a hard drive that broke free during shipping. I'm still waiting on the replacement unit from Orbitsat. You might also want to check the fuse on the power supply board to see if it blew due to the bad ribbon cable. I'd completely unplug the ribbon cable that goes to the front panel at the mainboard socket and try powering it up.

Hi8
02-04-2004, 05:07 PM
can you say "POP-Rivit!"

captain_video
02-04-2004, 10:38 PM
I just looked at a brand new Philips DSR704 today and darned if it's not mounted with the sticky tape! I think someone stated that the newer units are fastened down with hardware. There is what appears to be a nylon standoff protruding through the bottom of the case in the left rear extreme corner but it's not going through the bracket flanges. I don't see anything that appears to be securing the flanges to the case, including spot welds or connecting hardware. The assembly line for these units must consist of a total of 3 or 4 caballeros and a burro!

petah
02-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Check the power supply board and see if it was damaged. I had one get smashed by a hard drive that broke free during shipping.

My parents said it didn't look busted up, but it must have been cause even unplugged there was no fan. Oh well, thank god I insured it when I sent it.