PDA

View Full Version : Remote no longer responsive.....

jesta
01-17-2004, 07:48 PM
OK, been reading all morning and just finished my upgrade and hack from a 40gb to 120gb in my HDVR2. However I have a small problem and am looking for answers after searching this forum for it.

My remote control is totally unresponsive after installing the new harddrive. The front panel buttons and alll still work but absolutely nothing from the remote. I threw the old drive back in to see if I could locate where the problem was coming from and I still have the same situation where it does not work at all.

I have swapped batteries and all to make sure, anyone have any idea at all what I may have done? Thanks.

mrblack51
01-17-2004, 08:05 PM
most likely you accidently unseated the white ribbon cable between the front panel and the motherboard when you installed the new drive. there is a known issue when that occurs, and it burns out some of the circuitry. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105719

that thread discusses the issue, and you can fix it by soldering a short across the inductor - there is info later in the thread

jesta
01-17-2004, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the point in the right direction. After inspecting the inductor at L30 and not noticing anything I tested it a few more times without sucess by reseating the ribbon cable. Decided to try it out and ran a ground from the middle leg of the IR sensor to ground and that did not work. So replaced L30 with a short piece of wire and still no sucess.

So not, totally frustrated with this I start digging into the menu on the Tivo and everything looks normal. Picked up the remote again and it's still unresponsive however I hear a noise behind me. Behind me on my other TV, the ReplayTV Menu system is up. I look down and see that I have had the replay remote in my hand the whole time :)

Oh well, if not for totally humiliating myself, at least it was a good soldering experience :)

There's probably a moral here somewhere but I'm not even going to attempt figuring out what it is after today :) Thanks for the help.

NutKase
01-17-2004, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the point in the right direction... Picked up the remote again and it's still unresponsive however I hear a noise behind me. Behind me on my other TV, the ReplayTV Menu system is up. I look down and see that I have had the replay remote in my hand the whole time :)

Oh well, if not for totally humiliating myself, at least it was a good soldering experience :)

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you...

Your post has been the most fun, hilarious, thing I've heard so far in tivo hacking...

Sounds just like me :) Don't take this the wrong way, seriously, I've made some things happen just like this. Beautiful!

You've just made my 'buddy' list for making an error and admitting it :)

See you around.

NutKase

PS. We could all be less serious sometimes. :)

GREEK
01-18-2004, 12:14 AM
I did the same thing last night, couldnt find a sony remote around the work bench so I dug for the spares. someone must have "borrowed" the batteries, it took me 15 minutes of a voltmeter and the panel pcb board to realize the red indicator light was NOT coming on, and then the remote suddently felt a little "lighter"...........I hate the brain freeze, considering its below 0 in NJ, it is expected :)

NutKase
01-18-2004, 01:08 AM
I did the same thing last night, couldnt find a sony remote around the work bench so I dug for the spares. someone must have "borrowed" the batteries

Yeah, maybe we all can contribute to the 'goofy things I've done while hacking my tivo' thread :)

NutKase

PS. I'm sure I'll be able to post about a thousand!

tytyty
01-18-2004, 01:34 AM
Hmm perhaps this is why wife dosent "respond" anymore.
Im pushing wrong buttons???