PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Purpose???

whynodss
01-19-2004, 12:37 PM
hi everyone!!! just trying to figure out what the purpose of reinstalling 3.5 on the ird and going thru all that trouble if within 8 hours it crashes and goes to a black screen...and i would assume at some point reverts back to 3.7 anyway........

can somebody please explain to me why everyone re programs thier drives with 3.5 sw...

am i misssing something???

mine worked perfect and then i woke up and have a black screen with nothing...

whynodss
01-19-2004, 02:51 PM
this sucks

JJBliss
01-19-2004, 03:28 PM
Yes it does, but talking to yourself does no good.

djohn
01-19-2004, 03:35 PM
There are no legitimate reasons to revert back to 3.5.

If you had problems running 3.7 it would be best to call 1-800-DIRECTV and ask them to fix the problems you were having so you could watch TV successfully.

whynodss
01-19-2004, 05:16 PM
i am asking a technical question......and i did call them..they cannot program your hard drive....especially when a new one has been put in..they will not support it..which is why i am here.....

legitimate?? i am sure you paid for winhex also....

sure u didnt use a key generator??

klassic
01-19-2004, 08:17 PM
I don't get your question.... :confused:
If you put in a new hard drive in your UTV it will want to dial in to MSN and downlaod 3.7 automatically..... if you don't want 3.7 you put 3.5 on with win hex....

You use 3.7 with a P4 card....
If you have to ask why people want 3.5 I don't think you will want to use it

whynodss
01-19-2004, 08:32 PM
I don't get your question.... :confused:
If you put in a new hard drive in your UTV it will want to dial in to MSN and downlaod 3.7 automatically..... if you don't want 3.7 you put 3.5 on with win hex....

You use 3.7 with a P4 card....
If you have to ask why people want 3.5 I don't think you will want to use it

i have 3 different utv units..i just got one from a friend and it has a p3 active card....and it went down..which is why i was asking....

from what i read...instead of going thru waiting on a new card etc...i could just reapply the 3.5....that was my question...

i dont use web tv and dont order movies....i watcvh dvd...and record sitcoms....

so not sure why i would dial in....

klassic
01-19-2004, 08:36 PM
In that case the easiest thing to do would be to phone DTV and tell them to send a P4 card PRONTO....
Then when it is inserted the UTV will upgrade on its own through the sat.

cyberbob25
01-19-2004, 09:49 PM
Getting a P4 card from DirecTV takes a lot less time than what it takes to figure out how to revert back to 3.5. When you call DirecTV, they overnight the card, so you should have it either the next day, or the following day, depeding on the time you call. Plus, you get the advantages of 3.7...much better than 3.5.

djohn
01-20-2004, 07:27 PM
i am asking a technical question......and i did call them..they cannot program your hard drive....especially when a new one has been put in..they will not support it..which is why i am here.....

legitimate?? i am sure you paid for winhex also....

sure u didnt use a key generator??

Actually for your information I do have a winhex license and I also use 3.7. You asked why go back to 3.5, if you are trying to use a P3 card which is no longer supported in UTV and has not been for awhile now you need to call DTV and have them supply you with a P4 so you can use 3.7.

Getting a working OS on your UTV is about as easy as possible. There are no other receivers that will dial in themselves and download the newest version of software when you screw them up. Guess what...you don't even have to have a copy of winhex, licensed or not.

edit: The only reason to not let your UTV dial in and update is if you want to use 3.5 so you can use it for illegitimate uses. That is why I mentioned the only legitimate way to fix it was to call DTV. Also from what I understand they will no longer activate a HU card in any receiver, they force you to use the P4 they will send you.

ronmojohny
02-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Newer isn't always better. That's why sites like www.oldversion.com are so popular. I liked realplayer 8 better that the new realplayer 1. So I reverted back to version 8. Same may apply here.

cyberbob25
02-09-2004, 11:25 AM
In some cases, older is better. But this is not the case with the UTV. 3.7 has more features, crashes less, and is much more responsive than 3.5. Other than the ability to use an HU card, which as DJohn stated is only needed for illegitimate reasons, there is absolutely no point to use 3.5.