PDA

View Full Version : MAC Address error with 3.1

1080i
01-20-2004, 02:06 PM
Using xtreme with 3.1 upgrade and xpz

I need to change the macid because i have cloned the serial number from box a to box b for reasons not to be discussed in this forum.

with 3.1 i know that the MAC address is set with the last six of the tivo serial number. Well i used "search" which i know is my friend to finding answers around here.
From BAsh

insmod -f /lib/modules/ax88796.o macaddr=010203 timing=5

Error from bash:

Warning: kernel-module version mismatch
/lib/modules/ax88796.o was compiled for kernel version 2.1.24-TiVo.1
while this kernel is version 2.1.24-TiVo-2.5

/lib/modules/ax88796.o: a module named ax88796 already exists

How can i fix this error step x step.

I have tryed all that i know including replacing the ax driver with one from silicondust package.

WHat am i doing wrong here?

At first both boxes had same IP address and were fighting with router because of same id. i changed rc.net to reflect diff static ip and that fixed the problem. *thank you search button" but i cant get the one box to show up in router because the mac address is identical. I know it works cause i can unplug either box and it the router picks it up fine. but with both it doesnt see it in the router.

Im sure this is an easy fix. I just know enought about tivo to be dangerous.

Thanks 1080i

vu2vu
01-20-2004, 03:03 PM
rmmod

I have taken liberty of locating man page for you.

http://hegel.ittc.ukans.edu/topics/linux/man-pages/man1/rmmod.1.html

1080i
01-20-2004, 05:58 PM
anymore answers in english.

From what i read does it need to be unloaded and since that is the turbonet driver as far as a windows person would know ...is that gonna work while in a telnet session over turbonet?

thanks for the link though. i tried to understand the bits and pieces

BubbleLamp
01-20-2004, 07:30 PM
The MAC address is set using the macaddr= portion of the command line you posted. So all you need to do is edit the rc file where that line executes, change the numbers to anything else, then reboot.

vu2vu
01-20-2004, 11:56 PM
EDIT: If you can locate the insmod inside the rc.sysinit as BubbleLamp suggested that would be the best way to do it. If not you can follow my guide down below and get the same results.

You only have one shot at it via telnet, for obvious reasons. You need to edit the rc.sysinit then reboot. You need to add the following commands to your rc.sysinit in the order they are listed.

rmmod (http://hegel.ittc.ukans.edu/topics/linux/man-pages/man1/rmmod.1.html)

insmod (http://hegel.ittc.ukans.edu/topics/linux/man-pages/man1/insmod.1.html)

ifconfig (http://www.rt.com/man/ifconfig.8.html)

anymore answers in english.

From what i read does it need to be unloaded and since that is the turbonet driver as far as a windows person would know ...is that gonna work while in a telnet session over turbonet?

thanks for the link though. i tried to understand the bits and pieces

BubbleLamp
01-21-2004, 01:29 AM
You only have one shot at it via telnet, for obvious reasons. You need to edit the rc.sysinit then reboot. You need to add the following commands to your rc.sysinit in the order they are listed.

rmmod (http://hegel.ittc.ukans.edu/topics/linux/man-pages/man1/rmmod.1.html)

insmod (http://hegel.ittc.ukans.edu/topics/linux/man-pages/man1/insmod.1.html)

ifconfig (http://www.rt.com/man/ifconfig.8.html)
Why go to all the trouble of unloading and reloading the driver? All he needs to do is change the mac address and be done with it. :confused:

vu2vu
01-21-2004, 01:44 AM
I haven't run 3.1 much, tested it for a while then gave up on it. Lately I have been messing with 4.0 and the drivers are called directly by tivoapp. I assumed it was same way for 3.1.

Why go to all the trouble of unloading and reloading the driver? All he needs to do is change the mac address and be done with it. :confused:

1080i
01-21-2004, 01:46 AM

Bubba Could you please tell cut and paste the bash entry and tell me exactly where to put it.

Does it go in rc.net or rc.sysinit or somewhere else.

I just learned today how to use joe when i had to add lines to rc.net to change address from dynamic to static. Thanks alot for your expertese. Im not stupid with computers by anymeans. Linux, i can safely say that I am the latter. Trying to learn something new everyday. So many people talk here but dont realize that everyone is not the linux guru they think they are. Bubba, I used your step x step method for changing dhcp to static. Thanks for all your help.

BubbleLamp
01-21-2004, 01:48 AM
I haven't run 3.1 much, tested it for a while then gave up on it. Lately I have been messing with 4.0 and the drivers are called directly by tivoapp. I assumed it was same way for 3.1.

Got ya, and I've never played with 4.0!! I'll defer to your knowledge of the later revisions. My info was based on older DSR6K boxes.

vu2vu
01-21-2004, 01:50 AM
try this

cat /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit | grep -n ax88796.o

Bubba Could you please tell cut and paste the bash entry and tell me exactly where to put it.

Does it go in rc.net or rc.sysinit or somewhere else.

I just learned today how to use joe when i had to add lines to rc.net to change address from dynamic to static. Thanks alot for your expertese. Im not stupid with computers by anymeans. Linux, i can safely say that I am the latter. Trying to learn something new everyday. So many people talk here but dont realize that everyone is not the linux guru they think they are. Bubba, I used your step x step method for changing dhcp to static. Thanks for all your help.

1080i
01-21-2004, 01:55 AM
try this

cat /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit | grep -n ax88796.o

? - Break it down please.

How is that changin the mac address?

Please instruct as if you were a tech support rep from dell telling someone how to delete a file from dos

Ie. Start, Run, Cmd
cd directory
del file.mp3

Sorry i cant keep up with you bud , im trying

vu2vu
01-21-2004, 02:04 AM
Here is your breakdown

cat /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit [displays the contents of rc.sysinit]

| [pipe, used to redirect output from one command to input of another command]

grep [locates string within file]

grep -n [grep with option to display line number of where an string is located]

Now that you know what line number it is you can fire up joe or vi and scroll down to that number and add your macaddr=xxxxxx

? - Break it down please.

How is that changin the mac address?

Please instruct as if you were a tech support rep from dell telling someone how to delete a file from dos

Ie. Start, Run, Cmd
cd directory
del file.mp3

Sorry i cant keep up with you bud , im trying

1080i
01-21-2004, 02:14 AM
Here is your breakdown

cat /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit [displays the contents of rc.sysinit]

| [pipe, used to redirect output from one command to input of another command]

grep [locates string within file]

grep -n [grep with option to display line number of where an string is located]

Now that you know what line number it is you can fire up joe or vi and scroll down to that number and add your macaddr=xxxxxx

Cat works , grep doesnt find anything and manual looking its not in the rc.sysinit.

Looks like i will have to add it im guessing.

Any help there.

vu2vu
01-21-2004, 02:17 AM
I would have to guess its not located inside rc.sysint. Try doing same thing to other files inside /etc/rc.d folder. I don't have a 3.1 machine but maybe BubbleLamp can shed some light on its whereabouts.

When I run it on my 252 machine i get a hit inside my rc.arch file. I don't know if its the same for 3.1

bash-2.02# cat rc.arch | grep -n ax88796.o
37: if /sbin/insmod -f /lib/modules/ax88796.o macaddr=$SerialNumber timing=5 ;

So if this holds true you want to change the $SerialNumber string to mac address of your choice. Mine is located on line 37 of my rc.arch.

Cat works , grep doesnt find anything and manual looking its not in the rc.sysinit.

Looks like i will have to add it im guessing.

Any help there.

1080i
01-21-2004, 02:39 AM
I would have to guess its not located inside rc.sysint. Try doing same thing to other files inside /etc/rc.d folder. I don't have a 3.1 machine but maybe BubbleLamp can shed some light on its whereabouts.

When I run it on my 252 machine i get a hit inside my rc.arch file. I don't know if its the same for 3.1

So if this holds true you want to change the $SerialNumber string to mac address of your choice. Mine is located on line 37 of my rc.arch.

ed with joe...that worked! got .10 now and downstairs is .14

.10 is my server....so i will fix that up with the static lines to the rc.net file. Thanks for your help. Router sees diff mac ids now so at least i know its there now. Pings are a lot faster too without the dup mac addresses.

BubbleLamp
01-21-2004, 02:41 AM

You got it vu2vu.

1080i
01-21-2004, 02:48 AM
You got it vu2vu.

NO i got it bubbalamp...with the help of you too!!!!

Woot!

Michael M
03-02-2004, 09:21 PM

To add to the knowledge here:

Running a Series 1 Tivo (Sony SAT-t60) software 3.1

As VU2VU suggested I found the exact same line in the same position in my rc.arch file (macaddr=$SerialNumber) -- however when I changed "$SerialNUmber) to six digits it did not change MAC address after reboot. After more hunting I found a line in "rc.net" folder which was specifying the last 6 digits - I changed one of these digits and the MAC address was altered.

Michael