PDA

View Full Version : SAT-T60 Reboot Death Spiral

Marsman
01-20-2004, 08:25 PM
My SAT-T60 started what looks to be a reboot loop death spiral over the weekend. Reboots started about once an hour, then once every 30 min or so and decreasing. The power supply voltage was holding steady at 5.3V the whole time. It was 9 min between reboots when I pulled the plug. I've pulled the drive (Samsung 80 gig) and run powermax on it, no errors even after letting it spin for an hour or so. I just booted to Linux and mounted the drive, nothing out of the ordinary except that my /hack directory on partition 9 (i.e. /var/hack) and subdirectories are missing! I sure didn't delete them, but I figure that they may have fallen victim to the rebooting.

Obviously, I've got my suspicions about the hard drive, but I want to explore any other causes also. I've heard the tales of woe about the Parlex cable to the motherboard. Quick question, which way does that connector come off? Does it pull straight up off the mobo, or does it pull toward the power supply? It wasn't obvious to me, and I didn't want to break things worse than they already were...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Marsman

GREEK
01-20-2004, 09:36 PM
it pulls horizontally, but thats not your problem here I think. If the supply holds steady you have a dieing drive. You gotta get a backup made and get another drive in there. If a known good drive works then you have your culprit. Thats why you always keep the working original for a control group. Do a full scan test, a burn in test with a couple passes, then a low level format and see what happens after........

Marsman
01-20-2004, 10:59 PM
it pulls horizontally, but thats not your problem here I think. If the supply holds steady you have a dieing drive. You gotta get a backup made and get another drive in there. If a known good drive works then you have your culprit. Thats why you always keep the working original for a control group. Do a full scan test, a burn in test with a couple passes, then a low level format and see what happens after........

Thanks man, time to image and find another drive for this beast...