PDA

View Full Version : Problems unlocking a HDD

Sorrento
01-21-2004, 12:52 PM
Hello. I have a Hitachi Deskstar 80 gb that doesn't want to be unlocked by MHD3.EXE.

The oem HDD of the UTV (the Seagate 40 gb) unlocks perfectly, while this Hitachi won't. During operation of MHD3.EXE the program tells me the Hitachi is the primary master and says:

security is enabled drive is locked level is set to maximum erase time = 0 minutes

This "...erase time = 0 minutes" part of the message didn't show while unlocking the Seagate 40 gb. After I press the required number ("select a drive") MHD3.EXE gives me 3 messages and then ends with out doing anything and writing this on the screen:

Sending Security_Erase_Prepare

Sending Security_Erase_Unit

Timeout waiting for drive (Security_Erase_Unit)

I was wondering if something bad happened to the Hitachi (its a Deskstar after all), or if there is something I could do within BIOS or with MHD3.EXE to unlock it. Anybody has any clue?

Thanks

Sorrento

RandC
01-21-2004, 10:10 PM
I get that error occasionally. I just run MHD3 again and it has worked for me. Remember the drive number that you entered, sometimes when I run it the second time it does not show the drive as an option, but I just enter the number that it was and everything zeroed out ok.

Sorrento
01-21-2004, 11:00 PM
So I keep trying and trying? Hmm, feels pointless... but right now I am in no position to disregard any suggestion.

Thanks RandC, I will keep trying then, if I am successful I will return to post a message about it. Its just that the "Deathstar" attacked again. :(

Sorrento

Sorrento
01-22-2004, 01:12 PM
Ok, with the help of a batch file I have the MHD3.EXE looping around the drive number I have the Hitachi on... with out success.

Still the program ends with out doing nothing the second you press the keyboard, it doesnt recognize the HDD for real then.

Sorrento

RandC
01-22-2004, 05:38 PM
I have one other idea. Try changing the jumper on the drive to slave, something other than the current setting. Then try MHD3 again. I had a WD 160GB that once I added the jumper it zeroed out finally. I have an old pc I use for MHD3 so for me it does not matter what configuration the drive is in. Also, this has only happened once, I got time out waiting for drive and the HDD light on the PC was showing drive activity. I let it run until the HDD light went out and all was zero. If the jumper idea works, don't forget to set the jumper back or the UTV will not be able to set the password. You might be right about a bad drive, erase time 0=minuets. Hope you get it figured out.

tgif
01-22-2004, 09:53 PM
also, try hooking the drive up (and setting jumper) as master on your primary IDE channel...with no other IDE devices connected.

i had a drive on my secondary channel, and mhd3 would only go about 1/3 of the way through before popping up with the ~"finished" message. i did mhd3 like 4-5 times, and still nothing. then hooked it up as only IDE device, as master, on primary...and it worked the first time.

gl.

Sorrento
01-23-2004, 01:57 PM
I have one other idea. Try changing the jumper on the drive to slave, something other than the current setting. Then try MHD3 again. I had a WD 160GB that once I added the jumper it zeroed out finally. I have an old pc I use for MHD3 so for me it does not matter what configuration the drive is in. Also, this has only happened once, I got time out waiting for drive and the HDD light on the PC was showing drive activity. I let it run until the HDD light went out and all was zero. If the jumper idea works, don't forget to set the jumper back or the UTV will not be able to set the password. You might be right about a bad drive, erase time 0=minuets. Hope you get it figured out.

Thanks RandC, but as people say: "been there, done that". :(

The Hitachi HDD its one of those drives that has several jumpers (2) to achieve a Master/Slave status. You can select 16 or 15 heads, force device 1 (being the Hitachi device 0) to be present, and the Auto spin Disable... which I have no idea what could that achieve. Contrary to Seagate, where a second jumper is optional, the Hitachi has quite a complex setup.

I have tried at least 8 of the 12 diferent setups with out success, from using two ribbon cables or just one, or with other HDD present or not. Even a batch file to repeat the mhd3.exe comand for each drive... and all was unsuccessful.

I think its safe to say these to everybody out there: Do no use HDD's that have more than one jumper and never under, in the name of humanity, use Hitachi brand HDD's And I am not talking UTV here... hehe :D

This HDD was new, with out any data ever written to it... $74 dlls I lost forever. Ohh well, but the amount of data I learned is priceless...... LOL. This time the Deathstar beat me, I hate those Imperial dudes (Deathstar = Deskstar) :D

Sorrento

Sorrento
01-23-2004, 02:04 PM
also, try hooking the drive up (and setting jumper) as master on your primary IDE channel...with no other IDE devices connected.

i had a drive on my secondary channel, and mhd3 would only go about 1/3 of the way through before popping up with the ~"finished" message. i did mhd3 like 4-5 times, and still nothing. then hooked it up as only IDE device, as master, on primary...and it worked the first time.

gl.

Thanks tgif.

I have tried that. Actually I am doing the Zero stuff to an 80 gb Seagate HDD and its about to finish. I assembled an old KT333 mobo with a 2400+ cpu just to do this, but because I have no floppy drive at the moment I have a LiteON CD/RW attached to a ribbon cable. Maybe removing the CD/RW and using only a Floppy to boot might give me another type of result... but I lost all hope now.

One thing that was really scary was hiting the number 1 a few minutes ago for the Seagate... and watching MHD3.EXE ending like it does for the Hitachi. My blood froze up in that second, but it melted again when I ran MHD3.EXE a second time and this time it started the cleaning procedure. Wheeew! :p

Yes, MHD3 has a mind of its own... who knows if its good or evil, all I know is that a Hitachi HDD (or IBM for that matter) is something nobody should have.

Sorrento

aLfer
01-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Sorrento,

I am currently using an IBM 80GB 180GXP drive in my UTV which is basically the same as yours since IBM sold their HD business to hitachi (HGST). Anyway, I have used MHD3.exe on this drive many times, but I have had the same troubles you have with the timeout error. From my experience with it, you MUST completely shut down and power back up EVERY time you get the timeout error. For some reason, after you get that message, the drive is waiting for something and wont accept the command again (or any commands for that matter). I think the longest time it took me maybe 5 tries of this sequence to get it to work. Also make sure you hook up only the utv drive in the pc to primary master with no other drives present. If you still cant get it to work using this method of powering off and rebooting, I would suggest trying another machine.

aLfer

aLfer
01-23-2004, 06:35 PM
almost forgot, if you really cant get it to work, you can always just do the swap trick in the utv, like we did in the old days before MHD3.exe.

aLfer

wildfrog
01-25-2004, 05:37 PM
The MHD3 program looks for registers in the drive that hold information on how long a drive will take to unlock. It is not a mandatory part of the spec but MHD3 looks for it and if present prints out the data it finds otherwise dosn't print anything about it. Since I don't have any drives that implement it I never was able to test it. the part about using a utv to unlock is good to try but it seems some drives are much harder to unlock than others. the procedure MHD3 uses to unlock is identical to what the utv does. the difference is in your computer ide channel etc. also this will ONLY work when booted to dos as it requires direct access to the hardware. Powering down between trys is also good the spec says 5 trys before ignoring all commands, but that is not mandatory either.

wildfrog
01-25-2004, 07:10 PM
The MHD3 program looks for registers in the drive that hold information on how long a drive will take to unlock. It is not a mandatory part of the spec but MHD3 looks for it and if present prints out the data it finds otherwise dosn't print anything about it. Since I don't have any drives that implement it I never was able to test it. the part about using a utv to unlock is good to try but it seems some drives are much harder to unlock than others. the procedure MHD3 uses to unlock is identical to what the utv does. the difference is in your computer ide channel etc. also this will ONLY work when booted to dos as it requires direct access to the hardware. Powering down between trys is also good the spec says 5 trys before ignoring all commands, but that is not mandatory either.

Sorrento
01-26-2004, 02:39 PM
Sorrento,

I am currently using an IBM 80GB 180GXP drive in my UTV which is basically the same as yours since IBM sold their HD business to hitachi (HGST). Anyway, I have used MHD3.exe on this drive many times, but I have had the same troubles you have with the timeout error. From my experience with it, you MUST completely shut down and power back up EVERY time you get the timeout error. For some reason, after you get that message, the drive is waiting for something and wont accept the command again (or any commands for that matter). I think the longest time it took me maybe 5 tries of this sequence to get it to work. Also make sure you hook up only the utv drive in the pc to primary master with no other drives present. If you still cant get it to work using this method of powering off and rebooting, I would suggest trying another machine.

aLfer

almost forgot, if you really cant get it to work, you can always just do the swap trick in the utv, like we did in the old days before MHD3.exe.

aLfer

Already tried what you suggested, and the result was the same. I even changed the ribbon ide cable (80 pin) for a 40 pin like the one in the UTV, which I think is ATA 33 (instead of ATA 100), and nothing changed. Still the same "erase time = 0 minutes" message apears after MHD3 starts and recognize the Hitachi HDD.

I have tried with other systems as well. This PC is an Abit NF7-S, and when I tried to unlock Hitachi the booting sequence took forever to finish booting; almost as if the motherboard didn't like the HDD unlocked. Then I tried on a friend's PC, which has an Abit IS7-E motherboard (Pentium IV) but it also gave the same result. Then I am now trying on an Epox 8K3AE (KT333) mobo, and all attempts have been unsuccessful.

Now something new happend. When I put the Hitachi back into the UTV, the UTV unit has all led lights blinking (red, yellow, green) and its is imposible to turn the unit on or off other than to unplug the power cord. What does this mean? Is the UTV doing something? Does this mean the Hitachi is death?

:(

Sorrento

Sorrento
01-26-2004, 02:44 PM

Some HDD are harder to unlock, indeed!, I have one right here. :D

I will keep trying, but the new UTV behavior is worrying me. With the Hitachi attached to it the UTV locks itself up with the three led lights (yellow, red, green) blinking. The only thing I can do is to unplug the power cord. I am trying the "hotswap" thing anyway, but I don't think the UTV has unlock the HDD at all.

:(

Sorrento

Sorrento
01-26-2004, 03:27 PM
Hold Everything!!!

After I hooked the Hitachi to the UTV, remember the three led lights blinking?, the UTV just power down... very weird I said to myself, it only took it around 40 minutes to do what ever it was doing. So when I power up the UTV, to my suprise, I saw the green light blink at first followed by full turn on of the green light and then blinking of the yellow (WebTV dial up), and then turn off (WebTV dial up failing)... I couldn't believe my eyes, I repeated the whole sequence (turn off, turn on) and it did the same thing.

Then all I did was do the "hot swap" thing and booted up to windows. I no longer got the "Read Error" while trying to read the HDD, so I am filling all sectors with "00"... I guess anything in the HDD, locking binary and everything, will be erased.

Ok, WinHEX on the other PC is at 11% (38 min left)... if there was a moment to open up a bottle of Champagne and do the F1 celebration is now... wait, Schumacher is still driving in 2004....... :(

Thanks to everyone who came to the rescue on this thread, each of you also gave me hope (which was kind of low all this week). Everything is good with the Hitachi HDD I think, and it just took me 7 days... lol.

Sorrento

cyberbob25
01-26-2004, 05:04 PM
When all 3 lights stay blinking like that, it means the UTV is formatting the hard drive. Now that you have hotswapped it into your computer and are writing the image to it, you should have no problem.

Good luck!

Sorrento
01-26-2004, 07:50 PM
When all 3 lights stay blinking like that, it means the UTV is formatting the hard drive. Now that you have hotswapped it into your computer and are writing the image to it, you should have no problem.

Good luck!

Actually I will avoid using the Hitachi in the future... it was a mistake to use it in the UTV in the first place. :rolleyes:

I already have a Seagate 80 gb HDD to work with the UTV... but I am having problems installing the 3.5 system on it; the UTV, when hooked to the power cable, only remains with the green light blinking with out change. At least its easy to unlock it and zero it to start all over again, but I still haven't figure out what might be wrong with the procedure I am using.

Sorrento

Sorrento
01-27-2004, 10:52 PM
The problem remains... the Hitachi still is locked and can't be used other than with the UTV.

I was able to boot it up to windows with the hot swap thing, and then zero'ed it up with WinHEX... but still the locked status remains, how after all the information is all Zeros, who knows.

Right now I am using Hitachi DOS software to erase it, booting after a hot swap of course, but I doubt the locking mechanism will be afected. ARGHH!!! :mad:

I am going to forget using the HDD for other things now, its has been locked for UTV use for ever. :(

Sorrento

cyberbob25
01-28-2004, 10:56 AM
So you are trying to unlock this drive to use in your PC, is that correct?

There are only 2 ways to unlock a drive...the first is to use MHD3, which you state does not work for you. The other way is a bit more difficult and requires a second hard drive. You say you already have a Maxtor drive you want to use in your UTV. Have you yet gotten this to work? If you have, then you may or may not lose your recorded shows using this process. Anyhow, the directions are listed at this link:

http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113022

The specifics for using one UTV are halfway down the page. Just give the whole thread a read to get a better understanding of what's going on.

Sorrento
01-31-2004, 04:53 PM
So you are trying to unlock this drive to use in your PC, is that correct?

There are only 2 ways to unlock a drive...the first is to use MHD3, which you state does not work for you. The other way is a bit more difficult and requires a second hard drive. You say you already have a Maxtor drive you want to use in your UTV. Have you yet gotten this to work? If you have, then you may or may not lose your recorded shows using this process. Anyhow, the directions are listed at this link:

http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113022

Thanks cyberbob25, trying to do that right now. The problem for me is I only have one UTV to work with, and using a second HDD to fool the UTV into formating the HDD is quite tricky. Either that or the Hitachi wont even unlock this way.

If I am successful I will let you and the other know.

Thanks again.

Sorrento

Sorrento
02-06-2004, 06:21 PM
It didn't work... :(

I tried with only one UTV, left the HDD in the UTV for just under 2 minutes and disconnected the IDE cable... then waited for almost 4 hours before disconnecting it and still the HDD is locked. The three led lights (Red, yellow, green) were blinking as if the unit was formating the HDD.

Did this several times, with diferent time intervals, with the same result.

Sorrento

terribletds
04-09-2004, 04:51 PM
I have a Western Digital 120 GB hdd that is brand new. I put in my RCA UTV and it dialed MSN, count up to 6 and disconnected. I tried all day yesterday to get to work but 21 is as high as I can get to go.

So, I tried mhd3 with the 120 GB hdd connect on secondary ide as primary drive. Hdd not jumpered. mhd3 brings up a menu with choice

1) my C: a primary ide master as my computers drive
2) nothing on primary ide slave.
3) erase time = - 2 minutes
4) erase time = -2 minutes

I choice 3 or 4 and I get:
. Unknown error

Any help anyone????????

be18driver
04-09-2004, 08:05 PM
Try using the other connector on your PC's secondary IDE cable.

PlainBill
04-09-2004, 09:38 PM
I have a Western Digital 120 GB hdd that is brand new. I put in my RCA UTV and it dialed MSN, count up to 6 and disconnected. I tried all day yesterday to get to work but 21 is as high as I can get to go.

So, I tried mhd3 with the 120 GB hdd connect on secondary ide as primary drive. Hdd not jumpered. mhd3 brings up a menu with choice

1) my C: a primary ide master as my computers drive
2) nothing on primary ide slave.
3) erase time = - 2 minutes
4) erase time = -2 minutes

I choice 3 or 4 and I get:
. Unknown error

Any help anyone????????
Western digital drives must be jumpered as either: Only drive or master (of a two drive setup). With no jumpers, it's set up as a slave, and IIRC, W-D drives aren't too happy as a slave if a master isn't present.

PlainBill

terribletds
04-10-2004, 04:44 AM
Plainbill you have your manufactures mixed up. Western Digital middle is Master if you have a slave, second from power plug is slave and no jumper is single drive. There is a picture right on the hard drive. Jumpering is NOT my problem.

The problem is I can't finish a MSN update so the drive is passworded but does not have a complete image.

I need to be able to force a format of the hard drive (zeroing the drive). It just keeps want to connect to MSN.

PlainBill
04-10-2004, 11:43 AM
Plainbill you have your manufactures mixed up. Western Digital middle is Master if you have a slave, second from power plug is slave and no jumper is single drive. There is a picture right on the hard drive. Jumpering is NOT my problem.

The problem is I can't finish a MSN update so the drive is passworded but does not have a complete image.

I need to be able to force a format of the hard drive (zeroing the drive). It just keeps want to connect to MSN.

:o You're correct. I had a brain f**t.

PlainBill

wildfrog
04-10-2004, 07:38 PM
You are booting from a floppy arent you? try it as primary ide master with your other drive dissconnected boot from floppy. MHD3 sends the EXACT same erase command as a utv does. Problem is some drives are different in the way they behave from the original drive. make sure you wait for a while 1 hour maybe if you are having problems. mhd3 should show you the drive type when it runs. some drives have a setting for how long a security unlock is supposed to take never seen it implemented correctly yet but it is still in the code. If it doesn;t show your dive type something else is wrong.

aLfer
07-27-2004, 02:38 AM
MHD3 version 1.1 has been released which solves this problem. Please see this link (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=175762#post175762). Let us know if it fixes your problem sorrento.

jerrythe
01-01-2008, 09:04 AM
mhd3 v1.0 & v1.1 not working to unlock my hard disk.

Kazak
01-03-2008, 09:04 AM
mhd3 v1.0 & v1.1 not working to unlock my hard disk.

This is a drive that was used in an Ultimate TV receiver?

kazak