PDA

View Full Version : Blowing Fuses

Bosbury1
01-24-2004, 12:22 PM
Phillips DSR6000 was working great came home yesterday no power I checked the fuse it was blown replaced with 250V 3A fuse same problem twice. Any thoughts?

tivomaster
01-24-2004, 12:29 PM
Phillips DSR6000 was working great came home yesterday no power I checked the fuse it was blown replaced with 250V 3A fuse same problem twice. Any thoughts?

Dead Powersupply....

Bosbury1
01-24-2004, 12:32 PM
Dead Powersupply....

Where can I purchase a Power Supply?

tivomaster
01-24-2004, 01:05 PM
Where can I purchase a Power Supply?

Try http://www.weaknees.com/tivo_parts_bin.php

It could also be numerous other things like motherboard, hard drive/s, etc. but the most likely culprit.. Try replacing the fuse then powering up the unit with the drive/s disconnected. If it still blows the fuse it ain't the hard drive/s. The MB could still be shot but my money would be on the powersupply. There are repair people on the board such as GREEK (see http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110494&postcount=1 ) that can repair it for you.

cali
01-24-2004, 09:46 PM
Fix the fuse, and power up without anything connected to the PS. If it blows, you have a PS issue. I spent a couple hours fixing one a few weeks back. I accidentally dropped the caox in the box, and boom.

Long story short, I repalced the fuse, saw the stuff didt work so I trouble shot the PS and fixed the bad parts. It still didnt work......why???

Well the new fuse had blown(due to other bad parts) and I sat there for over an hr probing,and wonder WTF did I miss :p :rolleyes:

GREEK
01-25-2004, 02:50 AM
agreed, power supplies can usually be fixed. isolate to the supply, and then go from there. theres info all around this baord on this subject.

Bosbury1
01-25-2004, 10:55 AM
Disconnected the the two drives still the same problem. Is there a way to bench test the Power Supply prior to purchasing a new one?

GREEK
01-25-2004, 04:19 PM
you mentioned the two drives, did you disconnect the white ribbon to the mainbaord? Thats what we want you do to here. that and the drives disconnected, were trying to find out if the supply is shorting itself or if the board is doing it..............

Bosbury1
01-25-2004, 05:51 PM
you mentioned the two drives, did you disconnect the white ribbon to the mainbaord? Thats what we want you do to here. that and the drives disconnected, were trying to find out if the supply is shorting itself or if the board is doing it..............

Yes... I actually removed the power supply from the unit and bench tested it with the parlax cable removed. Do you think the motherboard is blown as well?

GREEK
01-25-2004, 09:44 PM
probably not, I would think its just the supply dead. Be careful with these, they will hold a charge for a LONG time if the fuse is blowing, I got a hit once (kinda liked it) the next morning from a supply in this condition........

Bosbury1
01-25-2004, 09:55 PM
probably not, I would think its just the supply dead. Be careful with these, they will hold a charge for a LONG time if the fuse is blowing, I got a hit once (kinda liked it) the next morning from a supply in this condition........

Greek,
Check your e-mail.

Bosbury1

cali
01-26-2004, 11:42 AM
I got a hit once (kinda liked it)........

I can hook you up with a constant 240 source if you like :D

GREEK
01-26-2004, 06:43 PM
I can hook you up with a constant 240 source if you like :D
R U talking 240 horses from one of your toys, or a straight jolt there cali?
If you cant tell, one more zap and I'll be MIA for good :D

Bosbury1
02-07-2004, 05:39 AM
R U talking 240 horses from one of your toys, or a straight jolt there cali?
If you cant tell, one more zap and I'll be MIA for good :D

Greek,
I just want to say thanks for all your help with respect to the Phillips DSR6000R01 power supply I purchased from you. I installed the unit last night and the machine works great again. Your advice and guidance was right on key. Thanks again.

Bos

GREEK
02-07-2004, 05:20 PM
Good job getting it working, its kinda nice when you do it yourself..........its the satisfaction of it....

mike9515756
03-04-2004, 02:11 PM
I have an HDVR2 last night i had to unplug it and the top casing was a bit open like 6cm. When i unplugged it partially then my elbow hit the top casing sort of hard and the tivo was on a stool that is smaller that the unit so the 4 plastic feet on the bottom were in free air(not touching the stool). I then totally unpluged the unit and repluged realizing it wont power up, no fan turning and no hd sound-->F*C*. I am not sure what could have caused the prob. Bottom of tivo touching the MB or PS or top of casing touching the HD or PS. I dont think it's the HD. What should I do to figure this out? I heard there are no aftermarket parts for the power supply. I called ACBEL because they make the power supply and i am still waiting for a response. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :mad: :mad: :mad: