PDA

View Full Version : Compiling - Kernel Source Directory

MrMe
01-24-2004, 06:35 PM
I am trying to compile a driver for my WUSB11 Ver 2.8, using berliOS instructions and the tarbel supplied on their site for the Atmel chipset.

Instructions for compiling say the following:

You need kernel sources matching your running kernel. If you want to compile for a kernel different to the one running, edit the variable KERNEL_VERSION in Makefile

The file /lib/modules/$(KERNEL_VERSION)/build must point to the root directory of your kernel sources.

Your gcc version should match the one used to compile the kernel.

My Makefile commands are as follows:

VERSION = 0.12beta6

CC=gcc

#KERNEL_VERSION = $(shell uname -r)

KERNEL_SRC = /lib/modules/$(KERNEL_VERSION)/build
KERNEL_HEADERS = $(KERNEL_SRC)/include
FW_DL=

Can anyone tell me where my root directy for my Kernel is located, and how I edit the KERNEL_VERSION wildcard to point to the correct location?

I am also confused on what my GCC version might be, and whether it is matching my kernel?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

RKone
02-28-2004, 02:21 AM
I'm working on it too. You first need to download the kernel source from www.tivo.com/linux

You'll also need to compile using a mips cross compiler - do a search for build_tivo_x_compiler

The problem I'm running into is that by default it uses newer versions of gcc and binutils, I believe it needs to be compiled with GCC 3.0 and binutils 2.13 - a previous post mentioned this worked. However, I can't build a cross-compiling GCC3.0