PDA

View Full Version : Taking the plunge, need advice

FyRe03
01-25-2004, 02:44 PM
Well, I am going to put my stand alone aside and try to get a series 2 Dtivo running, with hacks of course.
My questions are:
Should I get the brand new Dtivo and start applying hacks, or should I hook it up first and let it run for awhile as stock?
Is there a preference for ease between DSR7000, RCA version, or other Series2?

Thankyou.

Sleeper
01-25-2004, 03:13 PM
Well, I am going to put my stand alone aside and try to get a series 2 Dtivo running, with hacks of course.
My questions are:
Should I get the brand new Dtivo and start applying hacks, or should I hook it up first and let it run for awhile as stock?
Is there a preference for ease between DSR7000, RCA version, or other Series2?

Thankyou.
Just get a second drive and install all your hacks on it. Keep the original drive on the shelf. All Series 2 DTivo's are virtually the same. The only difference being that the newer DVR40 has the RID chip. DSR7000=HDVR2

FyRe03
01-25-2004, 04:47 PM
Thanks.
I planned on removing the original drive and storing it in a safe place, and using the drive that I added to my stand-alone.
Do I need to format the drive before apply anything to it?

FyRe03
01-26-2004, 05:30 PM
Well, I went ahead and bought a HDVR2.
I have been doing alot of reading, and have become very confused.
I was hoping someone might help me in determining the best way for me to hack this thing. I am basically confused on the steps I need to take and what to use. I am not asking for someone to do it for me, just a path to follow. From what I have read, so much is changing and I want to be sure I utilize the best methods.

Thanks for any advice.