PDA

View Full Version : serial channel select disappeared!

monkeygod
01-25-2004, 03:55 PM
I have a TiVo brand Seires 2 on which I just completed adding telnet/ftp/tytool support to my unit. (did the monte, etc) Everything seems to be working fine with one strange exception.

Before the hack, I was using serial channel select with no problems. At some midpoint in the hacking process, that functionality went away, for the most part. When I would try to change channels, TiVo would think it had worked, but my Comcast Motorola cable box didn't change channels at all. Trying to reboot TiVo would actually change the channel on the cable box correctly to whatever TiVo thought the last channel was, but then once it had fully booted, the cable box was unresponsive to the serial connection.

I saw a post which mentioned rebooting the cable box, but that had no effect for me.

I've since switched to using IR, which is working as well as IR can, but I'd love to get back to the serial cable. Does anyone have any ideas?

Sleeper
01-25-2004, 04:04 PM
I have a TiVo brand Seires 2 on which I just completed adding telnet/ftp/tytool support to my unit. (did the monte, etc) Everything seems to be working fine with one strange exception.

Before the hack, I was using serial channel select with no problems. At some midpoint in the hacking process, that functionality went away, for the most part. When I would try to change channels, TiVo would think it had worked, but my Comcast Motorola cable box didn't change channels at all. Trying to reboot TiVo would actually change the channel on the cable box correctly to whatever TiVo thought the last channel was, but then once it had fully booted, the cable box was unresponsive to the serial connection.

I saw a post which mentioned rebooting the cable box, but that had no effect for me.

I've since switched to using IR, which is working as well as IR can, but I'd love to get back to the serial cable. Does anyone have any ideas?

I don't have a SA unit, but I'm guessing that you need to disable BASH from running on the serial port. Edit rc.sysinit.author and comment out the line that starts bash.

monkeygod
01-25-2004, 07:05 PM
I don't have a SA unit, but I'm guessing that you need to disable BASH from running on the serial port. Edit rc.sysinit.author and comment out the line that starts bash.

ok, that worked to re-enable the serial channel select, but now it seems as if my ability to telnet into the box has disappeared. Is the serial port number 23? The tnlited line takes a /bin/bash/ parameter, which makes me think there's some link between the two. Is there some modification I can make to the bash line so that both telnet and serial select will work?

Here are the relevant bits of the rc.sysinit.author file:

#Start BASH
#/bin/bash</dev/ttyS2&>/dev/ttyS2&

#Set the IP address
ifconfig eth0 192.168.8.17 broadcast 0.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.248.0
route add default gw 24.16.32.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1

#Load telnet daemon and ftp dameon
tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &

tytyty
01-25-2004, 07:08 PM
Ill bet the console=2,115200 isnt helping either

monkeygod
01-25-2004, 07:49 PM
Ill bet the console=2,115200 isnt helping either

I don't seem to have that line. Here's the whole thing:

#!/bin/bash
date>>/var/hack/log/hackinit.log

#Enviroment Variables
export PATH=/sbin:/bin:/tivobin:/busybox:/tvbin:.
export TIVO_ROOT=
export MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
export IGNOREEOF=1000
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/lib/modules
export TERM=xterm
export PS1='\h:\w$ '

#Start BASH
#/bin/bash</dev/ttyS2&>/dev/ttyS2&

#Setup HOSTNAME
/bin/hostname tivo

#Set the IP address
ifconfig eth0 192.168.8.17 broadcast 0.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.248.0
route add default gw 24.16.32.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1

#Load telnet daemon and ftp dameon
tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
tivoftpd
cd /usr/mfs_ftp
/usr/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl &
cd /

#Load tivoweb
/usr/tivoweb-tcl/tivoweb

#Load kmem to prevent scrambling
kmem 800bf958 00001021

sleep 300
/usr/scripts/callfixsub.sh /usr/scripts &
/usr/scripts/sps30
/usr/scripts/sort

tytyty
01-25-2004, 08:06 PM
bootpage -p /dev/hda

Sleeper
01-25-2004, 11:08 PM
Is the serial port number 23?

No, the serial port is ttyS2
23 is the IP pert that telnet daemon listens on.

Also, comment out these lines because the SA 4.x units set up the IP through the menu system. This is clearly stated in the TivoScripts thread!

#Set the IP address
#ifconfig eth0 192.168.8.17 broadcast 0.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.248.0
#route add default gw 24.16.32.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1

monkeygod
01-26-2004, 02:48 AM
Oh jesus, I'm a huge pile of retardo. I ftp'd the fixed rc.sysinit.author file, and I forgot to reenable execute on it. Der.

Thanks for the help! I smell a hefty donation soon...