PDA

View Full Version : Question for Greek

cali
01-27-2004, 07:52 AM
I havent had any reason yet to work on a Series 2 motherboard, but I would like to ask a couple things.

Have you seen any similar tuner issues as compared to Series1?
Any similar modem issues?
In looking at the board, it seems to me they did better by laying out the tuner section directly on the PCB. Makes for better airflow, but IMO not enough. I was measuring some drastic temps on the demodulator chips.

GREEK
01-28-2004, 12:27 AM
Ive only seen one modem issue so far, cant really say if it was hit or just crapped out. I dont see much difference across most DTV irds, they basically all use the same setup with the equivelant controller chip and designs

I have a couple here with bad signal, most are lnbp chips, I have the pdf and info for the new chips, its a better setup, but they could have done alot better. One interesting thing is I have a dvr2 here with a bad #2. Took the WHOLE tuner setup off a working dvr40 and still no go. Pin outs and other tests hold true to working. I especially like the batman style air fins in between, what guy got paid for that? On another unit, the qspk on the board was only bad, NOT the lnbp chip, I think these will have a less likely chance of the usual ser1 tuner and chip going bad combo. I too see the crazy temps on the demo, I dont really understand the thinking behind it. They bothered to heatsink the tivo and mips chips, they could have done a mini for those too. They stayed with same tuner assembly in the RID units, those are actually different as far as board goes.

My big issue is power supplies in this sereis so far, I have 3 here with bad supplies, and 2 have board damage from the supply crapping out, I havent gotten too in depth to it, but quick supply swap yeilds no boot. These were not surge hits, just fainling units. I especially dont like the fact the power feed to drives is epoxied up, and the plastic offsets the supply sits on. Captain Video also got a couple delivered, and he discovered the base tray assembly is double sided taped to the subframe, the drive screws to the base, but thats taped on. His got shipped in xtreme cold, and the drives bounced around and fuked up the board and guts

I'll have schematics soon for ser2 dtivos, rid and non rid, I'll forward them to you when I get them. May also get some sheets on HDtivo as well..........

cali
01-28-2004, 07:45 AM
Good Stuff GEEK! :D

That fin thing I think you talk about, u referring to the shield? in the tuner circuit?

sfg
01-29-2004, 03:47 PM
So you think you could forward the HDVR2 schematics to me when you get them?

sfg

rc3105
01-29-2004, 05:48 PM
So you think you could forward the HDVR2 schematics to me when you get them?

sfg
good golly just post them here!!!