PDA

View Full Version : GXEBOT Hung at "Welcome" screen

Barberb12
01-29-2004, 11:14 PM
I have a GXEBOT that hangs at the welcome screen. This is what I know:
The HD is ok. I put it in my working DSR6K, and it booted fine. I did this with the IDE and power cable from the offending GXEBOT, so I assume they are fine.
Yellow wire voltage is 12.3
Red wire voltage is 5.3
The hard drive is spinning. I can hear it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

GREEK
01-30-2004, 02:09 AM
looks some ways back on my posts or search for edit_bootparms

you may have a hard short on U13, this is the most common hang at welcome. Try reloading the xtreme image and see if the prom flashes, then you know there is communication with the drive.....

Barberb12
01-30-2004, 09:22 PM
I re-extremed the drive per your orders. The only difference was that after the normal, usual time in the "Welcome" screen, the screen flashed greenish yellow for about 2 seconds, then back to "Welcome" screen. I'm a BIG newbie at hardware issues, so I wouldn't know if this showed any communication or not. How would I know if the prom re-flashed? What is my next step? In what situations are a DTiVo worthless?

Loopie111
01-30-2004, 11:58 PM
That flash (color change) that you saw was the image flashing the prom. How long did you let it run after it flashed?

Barberb12
01-31-2004, 07:56 AM
I let it run for hours with no change.

Can someone tell me how to donate to this site? It has been a great help.

GREEK
01-31-2004, 11:48 PM
do as the other suggestion I posted. boot the drive with a xtreme CD, and at the second enter when you get to # prompt type this

edit_bootparms hd? -i <enter>

the ? in hd? is your drive location, like b, c, or d, same as when using it in xtrme. THen press enter after that and you will come back to a # prompt. Shut down and then reinstall. ALSO, try master setting AND cable select if that dont work first. OTherwise, you ahve a hard short or shot IDE interface.

GREEK
01-31-2004, 11:50 PM
I let it run for hours with no change.

Can someone tell me how to donate to this site? It has been a great help.
HERE (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/announcement.php?f=41)

Barberb12
02-01-2004, 01:19 AM
HERE (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/announcement.php?f=41)
I did donate. Thanks. Let's go all. Don't just be takers. Did you know that in the average charity supported institution, like a church for example, %10 of the people give %90 of the money.

Barberb12
02-01-2004, 01:22 AM
do as the other suggestion I posted. boot the drive with a xtreme CD, and at the second enter when you get to # prompt type this

edit_bootparms hd? -i <enter>

the ? in hd? is your drive location, like b, c, or d, same as when using it in xtrme. THen press enter after that and you will come back to a # prompt. Shut down and then reinstall. ALSO, try master setting AND cable select if that dont work first. OTherwise, you ahve a hard short or shot IDE interface.
I'll do that in the morning, but if that fails, what are my options? Is this something that can be fixed? Maybe by a pro like the GREEKster?

GREEK
02-01-2004, 02:14 AM
The usual thing I see is U13 holding this down. Its what controls the modem, but who uses that anyway ;) I usually just yank it, and then she boots up, and take it from there.

Barberb12
02-01-2004, 09:58 AM
The usual thing I see is U13 holding this down. Its what controls the modem, but who uses that anyway ;) I usually just yank it, and then she boots up, and take it from there.
Please bear with me if i'm being ignorant, but by that you mean removing the complete chip? What tools would that require? Is there some way or something I can test to see if that is it for sure? I have checked all of the voltages near the paralax cable and they seem to be right. I am cross referencing against info on other threads. ---Yes I have tried to do as much research on this as possible, so as not to be repeating the same questions as someone else.---
I'm ready to make this thing rock and roll, so you say the word, and I'll try it.

Thanks again,

GREEK
02-01-2004, 04:06 PM
yes you could use a $20k test machine that basically xrays the chip in high magnification if you have one laying around the garage ;) My theory is modems are just something to break, in a dtivo you dont use them anyway, if you ever really needed to you could use external modem, but again, all the modem does is let big brother sell your viewing habits in my book. You need a rework station, some sort of hot air. Once chip is removed, you gotta clean up the solder on the pads to be sure nothing is touching/shorting, the pads are VERY close and tight on that chip. This of course is pure speculation, although in my experience, that is the part that usually holds down welcome screen if the voltages are right and nothing else is up. Also, I have seen a really bad tuner hold down at welcome, very rare though. If your worried abut being destructive, get the tuners off first, they can be put back on. Once that U13 comes off, theres no getting back on really. Like I said, if the modem means something to you, think twice. I have them yanked on my personal tivos just to not cause problems, but thats me........Make sure you try boot parms first though..............

Barberb12
02-02-2004, 12:18 AM
I'm about to try the boot parms thing. If that doesn't work I'm gonna yank that chip. Can you give me a once over on the procedure? Be informed that the smallest thing I've ever worked on is a bicycle. I do not have any tools for working on small electronics. Heck I never even put together one of those crystal radios as a kid. :D You mentioned hot air and a rework station. I have no idea what a rework station is, and as far as hot air, the closest that I have is a hair dryer, or my wife :p . I don't mind trying new things, and I can usually figure stuff out. I just want to have the tools that I need on hand before I start. I don't want to feel like I'm trying to loosen lug nuts with a pair of needle nose pliers if you know what I mean LOL.
I will go to radio shack and get whatever I need. Just Point me in the right direction. And again thanks for all your help. You've been A GREAT help.

Thanx,

barberb12

***Update***
"bootparms" was a no-go. The screen did flash a different shade of gray insteag of yellowish green, but went right back to "Welcome". I'm going to let it run overnight, but it looks like I'll be " chip yankin' " :mad:
So dont Bogart that info. I'll be needing it.

Loopie111
02-02-2004, 10:04 AM
A rework station will cost you at least $100. I have used a hot air gun to remove other chips on the board. You can buy it from home depot or sears for around $20. I make a nozzle out of tinfoil that cones down to the size of a pencil and is held on with a stainless steel hose clamp. I also make a large hole near the base to vent off most of the air. I will post a pic if you are interested. You have to be real careful when you remove the chip because all of the surrounding chips will move if you touch them!!!!!!! I would practice on a broken circuit board first. You could also cut all the legs of the chip and remove each leg with a soldering iron.

Barberb12
02-02-2004, 03:29 PM
A rework station will cost you at least $100. I have used a hot air gun to remove other chips on the board. You can buy it from home depot or sears for around $20. I make a nozzle out of tinfoil that cones down to the size of a pencil and is held on with a stainless steel hose clamp. I also make a large hole near the base to vent off most of the air. I will post a pic if you are interested. You have to be real careful when you remove the chip because all of the surrounding chips will move if you touch them!!!!!!! I would practice on a broken circuit board first. You could also cut all the legs of the chip and remove each leg with a soldering iron.

please post those pictures

Barberb12
02-02-2004, 10:39 PM
Well gentlemen, I pulled the chip sucessfully, I think, However that didn't seem to be the problem. The TiVo is doing the same thing. I was going to post some pics, but I can't get my camera to do a clear closeup. What Now?
I re-checked my voltages near the paralex cable. This is what I got:

C249-24.73
C255-24.73
C251-30.44
C259-30.44
C264-5.27
C271-5.27
C279-12.27
C287-12.27

Are these Voltages right?
Thanx,

GREEK
02-04-2004, 12:07 AM
you have all the right volatges, and if you have U13 off and nothing touching as far as the pads go, your kinda stuck. There are alot of things that can hard short a dtivo, it could be small, or very obvious. Have you yanked the board and looked underneath, and went over it very carefully? It is quite possible the IDE circuit is bad, those are the worst. One of the large chips could be bad also. Usually when a IC or component is attached to the IC2 bus, it will hang at almost there, allowing for bash access to get in and look around the file system. Unfortunately, you cant get that far. You gotta either get the schematics, and start going over EVERYTHING to find a glitch in voltage somehwere, or start removing stuff. I have seen tuners do this before, but rarely, they can be put on and taken off with a solder sucker (7 bucks rat shack) but you gotta ask yourself whats this worth to you. New units can be had for 99 bucks, so be sure this is worth it to you B4 you get in deep with it. If your game, yank the tuners, and see what happens.

captain_video
02-04-2004, 10:12 AM
Have you tried replacing the IDE cable? If the cable's bad you won't boot. Check the IDE and power cables and also the ribbon cables to ensure they're seated properly. I'd be checking the easy stuff first before I start yanking chips off the mainboard.

Barberb12
02-12-2004, 02:56 PM
I just shipped this unit back to the seller and am awaiting a refund. That's the easiest repair I've ever done. LOL. Thanks for the help guys. :rolleyes: