PDA

View Full Version : I've learned my lesson -- a couple of them

PortlandPaw
01-31-2004, 09:38 AM
Last night I decided to try hacking the tivoapp using the very specific SA 1 3.0 patch nopromos.zip from MuscleNerd. I followed the directions to the letter, rebooted, and was greeted with an eternal opening TiVoMan screen and nothing more.

After re-rebooting a few times and trying all the basic resuscitation measures, I spent the next four hours restoring my full backup from the original drives and re-installing all my hacks and modifications to the hacks. Then TiVo spent the next three hours re-acquiring program data. Simply removing the drives and replacing the hacked tivoapp with a backup copy didn't do it. I had to rebuild the whole machine.

My lessons learned? I'm not blaming anybody but myself for this. Whatever blew up did so with my full awareness of the danger and with no malice intended by anyone. But I will no longer mess around with the delicate innards of the beast. Adding hacks, reading what's there, extracting data and maniplating it, sure...but no more endangering the basic workings.

The second lesson, and fortunately I learned it many years ago, make a backup!! It's such a mundane message, but so critically important when the chips are down. It makes the difference between sinking and swimming.

I'm posting this message not to denigrate any of the contributors to this forum or their cutting-edge work -- I'm still a big fan and, hopefully, a small contributor, as well. I just want to let everyone know that all the warnings about possible disabling of the TiVo are true and should be heeded. And make a backup.

Explore, create, enjoy, but do so at your own risk.

EWR-COflyer
01-31-2004, 10:19 AM
Amen brother about the backups! I think more often what happens is that the code and/or procedure is written by someone who is obviously more that proficient with the tools (virtual and otherwise) in their hands. Then it gets into our well meaning hands and things go can and will go wrong... not their fault tho', not that you meant it that way.

Quite simply, the "problem exists between keyboard and chair." ;)

When I upgraded my drive, I added a new 160GB (137GB) drive... the mounting equipment hadn't arrived yet, but that didn't stop me. So I figured, hmmm... that looks like a good place to rest the new 160GB drive. However, when I plugged in TiVo I learned that it was NOT a good place... little puffs of white smoke have a tendency of letting you know that! Must have been a short and/or ground created where I put it... and NO it wansn't on the motherboard, it was just sitting on the empty space for the B drive. Anyway, I had a backup and was able to restore everything, and I was able to return the "defective" drive for a new one :rolleyes:

AVD
01-31-2004, 02:43 PM
portland:

why did you have to restore a backup?

All you had to do was delete the hacked tivoapp and replace it with the original tivoapp that you backed up.

(I'm getting so good at tearing down my TiVo, and throwing the drives into my PC, down to 15 minutes take-apart to setup back into the livingroom entertainment center)

Don't be discoruraged, just be prepared for disasters!

PortlandPaw
01-31-2004, 09:10 PM
portland:

why did you have to restore a backup?

All you had to do was delete the hacked tivoapp and replace it with the original tivoapp that you backed up.

I too have become adept at ripping apart two boxes, swapping jumpers, changing BIOS settings and then doing everything in reverse in record time.

But replacing the tivoapp didn't do it as I too thought it would. I tried three times, including deleting the current tivoapp before cp'ing the new one to be sure that I had the new one in there. It just wasn't happening.

All I lost was a few hours, a few newly recorded programs I won't miss, and a bit of my sanity. But I'll be ready to record the Patriot's victory tomorrow!