PDA

View Full Version : HDR312 - Modem Troubleshoot

ROCKSTEADY
02-01-2004, 03:29 PM
So here is my situation. After upgrading a Directivo, I gave my standalone Series 1 Tivo to my girl. It is a Philips HDR312.

Now when I first had this unit installed here at my home, I think I remember having problems with the modem and it not being able to connect and make it's daily call. By the way, I did buy lifetime for it. So I made a cat5 cable for it and everything worked fine. I think I figured out that the distance between the Tivo and my phone jack was too far and the telephone line did not have enough bandwith. So it worked for like 3 years.

Forward to present time. SO now I took it over to my girls house and tried to install it there, but the modem keeps telling me "failed: no dial tone." I have plugged a phone into the jack and there is tone, but for some reason the Tivo does not get it. So I decided to check the jack and the connection/signal is not the cleanest. There is some line noise, but nothing too bad. I did make a cat5 cable and ran it from the jack to the Tivo. Still nothing. Now I am wondering if the Tivo's modem failed being taken from my house to her house. If you are wondering, I still have not brought the unit back to my house to see if it works here.

So does anyone have any experience with this problem, and if so how did you solve it? Is there a way to troubleshoot the modem? ANy help would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

GREEK
02-01-2004, 06:57 PM
first you gotta take the unit elsewhere and try to make a call with it. Second, there is a step by step hardware diagnostic over at 9thtee.com by electric legs, you could buy a kit to fix if its broken. Third, and this is my favorite, you can get a ser1 with little trouble for 50 or less on ebay if you look around, theres tons of them with no drives for less than that. Search for crypto, and swap the lifetime to another unit, then sell that for parts. Probably end up spending very little after said and done. Also some good posts over at TCF on modem codes to use, and you could also find an external modem for less than 50 on ebay as well, it uses the port on back to dial externally bypassing the internals, looks like and is and older computer modem actually.......

ROCKSTEADY
02-01-2004, 09:23 PM
First of all what is TCF?

I will get the unit back to my place and let you all know whether it will be able to make a call or not.

GREEK
02-03-2004, 10:58 PM
the "other" forum (goodie bunch)

tivocommunity.com

ROCKSTEADY
02-14-2004, 09:51 AM
First of all I would like to say that I forgot to mention that my girlfriend does have DSL at her place and there was no filter on the phone jack that she was using for her Tivo.

So I brought the unit home and hooked it up the way it was originally when it was in my system. The first three times, I tried forcing a call, the unit read: "failed, no dial tone." Three times it said that. On the 4th attempt, I decided to listen on the speakphone when the unit started dialing, to see if the modem even dialed. Well, this time I heard the "handshake" and the unit connected and downloaded. So I know that the modem is not bad.

I guess what I am going to do is change the jack in my girl's room just for the hell of it and then go out and buy a DSL filter for the jack and see how the situation changes.

Does this seem like a complete process on my part?

GREEK
02-14-2004, 04:34 PM
there is ALOT of info on dialing problems at TCF, more than here. If shes got dsl, you may wanna opt to using a turbonet to use broadband. I ahve seen alot of connection problems, if the modem isnt gone, a good way to get it to go is to leave the line unplugged and wait for the attempt at dial tone. Then you plug the phone jack in and it will dial normally. Its a problem with the pickup of the tone usually, the modem/contoller are cheap. A really good way to longterm fix is an external modem, like I said earlier. Theres TONS of info on codes to enter into the dialing menu to slow down speed, adjust the properties, etc. I would first find these posts, and print them out so you have them. Try different combinations, one will probably work well since it dialed out on your phone. Remember phone modems are finicky, it is probably the whole wiring there not the jack, but try a filter anyways. I would personally use broadband or external modem for a longterm fix, you'll probably have more problems soon if its starting to fail now, and took 3 attempts to complete at your place..................

tytyty
02-14-2004, 04:51 PM
You absolutley need the filter on a dsl connected line.

ROCKSTEADY
02-15-2004, 07:35 PM
Thanks ty and Greek. I am going to try changing the plate first and then I am going to use the filter. I have my fingers crossed. We'll see.

ROCKSTEADY
02-28-2004, 10:22 PM
Ok, so I changed the plate and added the DSL filter. Still nothing. I still get the messages of "failed. could not connect." While it was dialing I listened in on the line and I heard the modem dial and heard the handshake, but it just would not connect.

Again, the line signal was rather dirty and I am sure that this does have something to do with the inability of the Tivo to connect.

So now I guess I need to get either an external modem or try using one of those broadband wireless modem things. What do you guys think. The only problem with using an external modem, IMO, is not getting to be able to use the serial connection between her satellite receiver and the tivo.

Let me know what you guys think.

ROCKSTEADY
02-29-2004, 07:43 PM
Any ideas Greek?