PDA

View Full Version : CRAP Maxtor hard drives

crazyrat
02-02-2004, 03:12 PM
I recently purchased two Maxtor 6Y120P0 120Gb hard drives to put in my two HDVR2 DTivos. Both of the hard drives failed within 2 months of being installed and in both cases I got the same error Y33S57 using the Maxtor diagnostic software.

Have any of you on here used this drive and had similar failures? Is there any way that the Tivo software could cause a hardware failure on the hard drive (due to overuse? heat?) The typical temperature runs between 95-120 degrees most of the time (as reported by Tivoweb).

I'm trying to make a decision whether to just flat replace these drives (I paid $59 per drive after rebate at BestBuy) with another manufacturer and based on what I hear here, I might just do that.

Thanks for the input!

CR :(

GREEK
02-04-2004, 12:12 AM
I personally HATE maxtor drives. I've had 2 80's(retail 8mb cache) go in my windows box for no reason, 1 just died a ways back, second one just went friday, am hoping this one is the controller board, now I gotta buy another to save the data off this one if possible. Had a 40 gig go last month in a linux box, powermax errors out. Not to mention the milk crate full of tivo drives, and half pass powermax tests and are still bad. I like Western digital, they have 3yr warranty. Either way, if you use white label and non retail drives, your gonna have problems in a tivo with them. They get abused in a tivo box, 10x worst than a computer, I've had drives go bad out of the box. Some swear by them, its all luck really. Ive had good results with seagate and samsung, although 2 buds just lost seagate 120's (retail) both at 7 months....................

captain_video
02-04-2004, 10:05 AM
I've had drives fail from every one of the major manufacturers. Most of them now offer a 1-year warranty on their retail drives. WD includes a coupon in the package where you can connect to their website and extend the warranty to three years for $14.95. Oddly enough many of the OEM drives that used to have only a 1-year warranty now have the 3-year guarantee. I guess they figure the manufacturers are less likley to damage a drive during installation than some ham-handed consumer. I think the only one I've ever had die in a Tivo was one of the original Quantum lct10 15GB drives.

FWIW, the Seagate drives have been unanimously recommended by the various Quiet PC websites as the quietest drives around. If you keep your Tivo in the bedroom this is something you may want to consider. If you keep having hard drive failures then there may be a cooling issue with your Tivo. Make sure the fan is functioning and consider upgrading to a better fan. Also make sure you have adequate ventilation around the Tivo. If it's in an enclosed entertainment center it will surely die a slow death due to heat

crazyrat
02-05-2004, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. One of my Tivo's is on top of my TV out in the open and the other is in my entertainment center. I regularly monitor the temperature on these guys and they are usually between 95-105 on the inside (according to TivoWebPlus). I'm not too concerned about the HD being quiet because these particular Maxtors are fairly quiet especially after I ran setacm on them. My biggest problem is that they keep failing on me. I lost a third drive yesterday!!!

I'm wondering, though, occasionally (at least 2-3 times per week) I need to power down these Tivos to reset them. Can this cause additional wear on the drives and is there a better way to remove power from your Tivo without yanking the power cable out of the back?

Also, where can you get this fan upgrade?

Thanks
CR

FWIW, the Seagate drives have been unanimously recommended by the various Quiet PC websites as the quietest drives around. If you keep your Tivo in the bedroom this is something you may want to consider. If you keep having hard drive failures then there may be a cooling issue with your Tivo. Make sure the fan is functioning and consider upgrading to a better fan. Also make sure you have adequate ventilation around the Tivo. If it's in an enclosed entertainment center it will surely die a slow death due to heat

captain_video
02-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Check out some of the links I posted here. (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31626) The links are mostly for sites that deal with making your PC quieter but they also talk a lot about various cooling methods and quiet fans. There are also websites devoted to various PC cooling techniques that talk about fan upgrades. The fan used in a DTivo is a standard size so you shouldn't have any problems finding a high performance replacement for it. You could also add a 2nd fan to the case for improved cooling. Most fans come with a power adapter that allows you to connect it in-line with the hard drive cable.

GREEK
02-05-2004, 04:20 PM
the factory suggested way to shut down a tivo is to go to system reset, choose the first option of reboot/restart, and then press thumbs down three times followed by enter. B4 you press enter, get your hand on the plug, and pull during the 2 second flash of the reboot, this is the safest way to do it................

crazyrat
02-06-2004, 02:34 PM
I was going to go to the site you referenced in your last message and purchase a few replacement fans for my HDVR2s. Just off the top of your head, do you know the size, speed, power reqs etc of the fan that is already in there?

BTW, the next Maxtor drive I send it I'm going to ask them to replace it with a 5400 RPM equivalent drive and see what they say about that. I believe after reading those articles that Maxtor at least believes that the 5400 RPM drives should be able to handle all the streams generated by a single tuner Tivo without generating excessive heat. I read between the lines a bit and they seem to imply that using 7200 RPM drives really generates too much heat for the typical CE applicance.