PDA

View Full Version : DSR6000 now only reboots

ricochet
02-04-2004, 02:59 AM
My DSR6000 has worked fine for a few years now. Tonight, it started continuous reboots from the "Welcome" screen. Do I just need a new hard drive, or is something else likely to be a problem?

I've been running Xtreme 3.1 for a while now.

Note: My system temperature has been hanging around 53 Deg C for as long as I've had the Tivo. Seemed a bit warm to me, but others have seen similar temperatures.

Rick

tytyty
02-04-2004, 09:08 AM
Sounds like a hard drive issue, but may be the ribbon cable from motherboard to powersupply.

I would

1. Yank the drive, image it for safety, check it with manufactures tools.
2. Pull the ribbon cable, clean with an eraser and reseat it.
3. If it comes up still look at a new drive in the near future.

captain_video
02-04-2004, 09:56 AM
I agree with the steps tytyty recommends but I'd check the ribbon cable before doing anything drastic. The parlax cable seems to account for the vast majority of bootup problems.

tytyty
02-04-2004, 11:44 AM
Based on experiences with hard drive failures due to 24/7 runtime I feel a ripping a new image and checking hard drive is prudent. I have seen too many drive failures even after passing all tests to not advise that step.

ricochet
02-05-2004, 02:06 AM
Well, I cleaned the Parlax ribbon contacts (Gosh, that thing is tiny!) with alcohol, and it still reboots. I guess it's hard-drive replacement time.

Will a 200 GB hard drive work in a Tivo1 running Xtreme 3.1?

Rick

malfunct
02-05-2004, 02:27 AM
Well, I cleaned the Parlax ribbon contacts (Gosh, that thing is tiny!) with alcohol, and it still reboots. I guess it's hard-drive replacement time.

Will a 200 GB hard drive work in a Tivo1 running Xtreme 3.1?

Rick

It will work but you will only be able to use 137gig of it unless you install the LBA48 kernel hack. Search the forum for that.