PDA

View Full Version : what is the deal when there are no phone lines?

EBI
02-04-2004, 11:39 PM
Folks any suggestion for a DTV setup and S1 Tivo unit in a place where no phone line is accessible ... or if it is there are no local number to call TIVO ...

Could the series one TIVO get it's information through satellite when/if it's connected to the sat receiver via low data transfer connection on sat receiver, and serial connection on TIVO??? IS that connection even possible???

Thanks for your help....

mrblack51
02-05-2004, 04:46 AM
Folks any suggestion for a DTV setup and S1 Tivo unit in a place where no phone line is accessible ... or if it is there are no local number to call TIVO ...

Could the series one TIVO get it's information through satellite when/if it's connected to the sat receiver via low data transfer connection on sat receiver, and serial connection on TIVO??? IS that connection even possible???

Thanks for your help....

you can set up PPP over serial, or get an airnet/turbonet/tivonet/cachecard. in any event, you can download the program data from them over ethernet...in 3.x software the functionality is built in. search for ",#401"

malfunct
02-05-2004, 01:11 PM

Thanks for your help....

I think the DTV (don't know about S1 but pretty sure about S2) gets its guide data over the satellite. I would say put in the fixsub script and you won't need phone line.

mrblack51
02-05-2004, 01:16 PM
I think the DTV (don't know about S1 but pretty sure about S2) gets its guide data over the satellite. I would say put in the fixsub script and you won't need phone line.

all dtivos get their guide data from dtv