PDA

View Full Version : Comments/Suggestions for the How-to

GREEK
02-05-2004, 10:25 PM
Please refrain from posting in the how to until completed. Please post any thoughts/advice in this thread and Cali and Greek will respond. Much of the finish work will be done last minute, were trying to get the rough info in now. There is plenty of room for additional sections, and ammendments, please dont pollute the initial thread until completed. Your advice and comments are appreciated, and another Ser2 specific how-to will follow for that ser with schematics as well.........

Thanks.......Greek & Cali..........

tytyty
02-05-2004, 10:47 PM
I prefer remnaming the file to modemtest.old then making a one liner #!/bin/bash chmod it 755 seems to boot faster that way....

Thanks guys for the thread

AVD
02-06-2004, 12:04 AM
sorry............

AVD
02-06-2004, 12:06 AM
I'd like to propose a 1.4. For do it by hand hackers, this seems to be a problem, especially for morons like me that like to ftp the rc files back and forth.

1.4 (?) startup files

check to see if your /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit (a) is not corrupted, is otherwise readable by the TiVo (dos2unix format) and has execute permissions.

make sure that any modifications to the code that call other programs are correct (the file exists and has proper permissions) and background properly otherwise the file will hang and the TiVo won't boot to completion.

Looking at the kernel logs
cat /var/log/kernel can help to troubleshoot a lot of startup problems.

footnote (a): also check rc.sysinit.author, rc.net, rc.arch and anything else you modified

hope this helped.

(does it need more detail?)

GREEK
02-06-2004, 02:14 AM
both very good points, thanks guys. I'm not sure if were gonna add all the little details + hints in there, or start up another sort of "modern" how to like in the old Dtivo hacking section, that had lots of hints/tricks. Up top in the beginning Cali states to have a good CLEAN version of xtreme when testing, and yes I like everybody else (mostly) screwed up many a file with permissions and rc.sysinit/author changes in the beginning. The tough part is not having images around anymore, most newbies are gonna be working with whatever image they have, and if its hosed ala files, they will run into this. I want to add a Ser2 addition, this is mainly ser1 oriented, ser2 is gonna be more popular by the end of the year anyways, but I havent had as many in, they are just starting to show patterns in failures, and theres NO parts anywhere for these damn things, its tough. I think between the "old" guys around here, we can fill up PAGES of good hints and tricks for here, its gonna have to keep getting broken down as the ser2 RIDs come into play, all these damn new boards and chipsets coming out.

Keep posting the goodies, I never thought it would be so hard to try and cover ever scenario without answering a specific problem, its pretty tough!

cali
02-06-2004, 07:19 AM
tyty,
I got your PM. Ill check into it, but I never noticed a hiccup.
Its only 4 lines or so of code,instructions, so Ill try it this weekend and see.
I have no problem adding it.

AV,
Its a good idea you have there, but one of the requirements is a GOOD CLEAN IMAGE. The aim (at least mine) is not to spoon feed, but provide a good solid foundation, which I feel will fix 95% of tivo issues out there.

Keep em coming though!

Remember at the end of the 'project' I will try to have a downloadable txt file and a pdf, with pics (dont hold ya breath;) ) sometime.

plurranger
02-29-2004, 08:37 PM
Would it be appropriate to ask for a - How to use logs to troublshoot each section - section? :)

cali
03-04-2004, 09:47 AM
Would it be appropriate to ask for a - How to use logs to troublshoot each section - section? :)

can you be a bit more specific....what particular issues would you like to see more on?

plurranger
03-04-2004, 06:25 PM
Sure.. thanks for asking. I specifically am interested in breakdowns in the sections defining core operating system parameters and objects, and appropriate responses in the logs. Further, a list of what logs contain what kind of data and where do they live? I have an HDVR2 running 3.1.U5 so I am perticularly interested in modifying- say, rc.sysinit to load USB kernal drivers, and wonder what modules will make what entries in what logs, and of course, what we should expect to see. Further, what core components of the OS will create what required entries in the log if working properly. The last item would of course cover the UI menuing system drivers and load operations. What should we expect to see if troubleshooting a failed UI load operation, when it seems like the OS has booted fine, but say a stop has occured in the load function of the UI?

Hope that is enough various things to start defining what logging tools would help me to undertsand my system better.

cali
03-04-2004, 08:27 PM
Holy fawk.....U went over my head there :D
Seriously thats kinda outta my league..Im da hardware master.

I can say this though....kernel log and tverr log contian most of the info I use to key in on failures.

They are usually in the var directory.

-cali

plurranger
03-05-2004, 03:44 PM
Well.. in that case.. where would I go to start trying to determine why, when I load my usbcore.o via insmod in hackinit, why my UI fails to load. Remove that one driver from hachinit.. and pow.. system loads fine?

cali
03-05-2004, 07:32 PM
K, start a thread...post your kernel log lets see.....
BTW have you checked the USB threads ? They are loaded with lots of info, but I dont recall any type question like yours being answered....