PDA

View Full Version : hacking DirecTivo

Glitched
08-16-2001, 05:41 PM
correct me if im wrong here, here goes

I want to hack my DirecTivo so i can record things, from what i am reading though the current state of service hacks only works for 30 days?. and what do i have to do after that 30 days.. can i just rerun the script? or is it so critical that i have to reimage my drive at that point?? im just a little foggy on what i can and cannot do at this pont.. ive already made a backup and have a bash prompt just kinda wondering where i can go from here.. some of the things ive read are sayin that the DirecTivo checksums system files and when the checksums doesnt match it rewrites these files to factory?? is rc.sysinit one of these files ??

any info or direction anyone fels they could give me would be greatly appriciated:D

oh yeah ....software version 2.01

GoneSilent
08-16-2001, 06:31 PM
You can use the fixup script found on this forum to record shows on your own. You still have to hit record. There is no current hack to get all of the tivo funtion. You'll just have to sub your tivo or live with manual recording.

Vadim
08-16-2001, 07:59 PM
On Directivo, using that script you will get your tivo working completely free, just once in 30 days you will need to make a call and re-run the script.
On SA tivos its a whole different story..

Glitched
08-16-2001, 09:01 PM
great!! i had no idea about the manual record script... just one question?

when you say make a call every 30 days.. is it ok that this call fails or says "AHHHNN!!! you dont have service", is it that it just has to reset the succesfull call counter???.. because i dont, and cant subscribe the thing because i dont sub DTV ?? am i understanding this correctly ???

thanks

peters62
08-17-2001, 08:42 AM
with the fixup service hack after 30 days you need to let it call in and rerun the script to retain record capability. My question is does the call in have to suceed or can it fail ie no phone line connected and then rerun the script. Second question with this hack what Tivo functions do you retain? Season Pass ability?

Thanks

Fugg
08-17-2001, 06:13 PM
ok.
let me get this straight...

if one was to run fixup02c.tcl on a directivo, one would still have to allow the directivo to call in once every thirty days?

quote from khmann - http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=2681

"it should enable recording without requiring any calls to TiVo."

also from khmann in the same topic:

"I have heard that this script sucessfully does fix the >30days nag though."

from mrblack51, same topic:

"im on a dtivo, so the guide data keeps coming. it does in fact fix the >30 days issue on 2.0"

as Glitched posted in the first post, he's looking for info about running fixup02c.tcl on his directivo. i can see the drawbacks to this on a sa tivo, but on a directivo, fixup02c.tcl should be ok NEVER calling home.

judging from his nick, Glitched may be running a dtv hack.
buddy, if this is the case, NEVER LET IT CALL HOME WITH YOUR "CARD HACK" IN THE TIVO!!!!!!!
one of the first things it's gotta do is tell whoever it's called into what the tivo id and the card cam id is. as i understand it , this is not a good thing.;)

i understand if you reboot the tivo, you have to re-run the script. that i can see.....

but, are you sure it's gotta call in every thirty days??

Glitched
08-17-2001, 07:31 PM
um...

exactly

and, exaclty

phone lines dont come near my stuff ;)

why does it have to call home, or am i seeing that it does not?

mrblack51
08-17-2001, 08:01 PM
phone home on a dtivo does the following

download tivo magazine
download network showcase
download OS updates (such as the new 2.5 that allows dual tuners)
upload 'anonymous' logs

i note the logs as 'anonymous' because they are supposed to be anonymous, but data other than the generic remote presses gets sent (i beleive the camid and ird number get sent, and possibly the tivo serial number). the big issue if you are 'testing' is that you need to disable logging, so the 'man' or whomever doesnt see what you are watching, and realize that subscription info doesnt match what you have in your logs. you can turn off your logs by commenting out the logging section in rc.sysinit. just put a # sign in front of the lines you dont want to be run. of course, you will have to chattr it to make sure your changes stay, but if you are using the fixup script, you should have already done that to get bash.

as long as you can live without the magazine, showcase, and updates (and uploading of logs), then the fixup script will fix most call related issues, including the 30 day fix. the tivo will still attempt a call every night, but it will still function properly with a few picadillos (you can figure those ones out by looking at other forums)

Glitched
08-17-2001, 10:14 PM
thanks mr black that answers about all of my questons...i have just one more.. (although i beleive i already know the answer) in order to chattr something dont i have to boot with a custom kernel other than the one that was on dylans boot disk?? or can i chattr things through the bash prompt?? thanks in advance

mrblack51
08-18-2001, 04:14 PM
catch 22: can run chattr on tivo, but cant get bash (& therefore into the tivo) without chattr

you need to install a linux distro, then add the kernel patch to add tivo disk support. use the search function to find info on that. dylan's disk and the boot cd dont have chattr. i am trying to get that added, but i dont have time to do it myself.

Glitched
08-18-2001, 04:37 PM
thanks again mrblack. i already have a slackware 8 machine.. so i can just patch the kernel on my current install to support a byte swapped(tivo disk) disk??? correct? thanks....im searching for that patch now!!

although i still dont have my dss serial cable (how is gonna take a week and a half for ups to get it here after it has shipped?? :rolleyes: ) i guess i could have made one.. i am handy with a soldering iron... oh well..
id hate to fry the serial on my tivo from a bad solder job...