PDA

View Full Version : Is TiVo really watching like this?

MiamiTV
02-07-2004, 04:36 PM
from MSN-CNET.COM

Rewinding TiVo habits

So what information does TiVo collect about its viewers? The company can indeed tell what has been watched on a particular TiVo box, down to the second, including the number of times a moment was rewound and played again, or a commercial was skipped.

The information is transmitted back to TiVo headquarters in Alviso, Calif., via the same phone line used to download show schedules to the DVR inside a home. The information itself is used to automatically suggest which shows a viewer would like, based on previous selections.

Is this for real???

fixn278
02-07-2004, 04:43 PM
from MSN-CNET.COM

Rewinding TiVo habits

So what information does TiVo collect about its viewers? The company can indeed tell what has been watched on a particular TiVo box, down to the second, including the number of times a moment was rewound and played again, or a commercial was skipped.

The information is transmitted back to TiVo headquarters in Alviso, Calif., via the same phone line used to download show schedules to the DVR inside a home. The information itself is used to automatically suggest which shows a viewer would like, based on previous selections.

Is this for real???

yes

read the user agreement

MiamiTV
02-07-2004, 04:53 PM
yes

read the user agreement

How do they achive that. I know the TiVo makes a daily call to download guides and upload some info. but it would take forever to upload rewinding habits also. seems pretty amazing to me. any more info on this.

fixn278
02-07-2004, 04:54 PM
How do they achive that. I know the TiVo makes a daily call to download guides and upload some info. but it would take forever to upload rewinding habits also. seems pretty amazing to me. any more info on this.

Check your logs. Every action (remote keypress, etc...) is included and uploaded.

Lost Dog
02-07-2004, 06:13 PM
Check your logs. Every action (remote keypress, etc...) is included and uploaded.

Personally, I couldn't care less that TiVo documents how big of a loser I am. Perhaps the networks will get the data and stop canceling the shows I really like...

But... This makes me wonder. What would happen if you chmod the log file responsible for tracking and make it read only? It would not be able to write your current habits. Then again, it may cause errors somewhere else due to getting an unexpected read only when trying to write to it.

Perhaps a script that automatically clears out the logs just before the TiVo calls in? Maybe when the action of preparing the modem throws a flag it triggers an event to delete the logs?

JJBliss
02-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Personally, I couldn't care less that TiVo documents how big of a loser I am. Perhaps the networks will get the data and stop canceling the shows I really like...

But... This makes me wonder. What would happen if you chmod the log file responsible for tracking and make it read only? It would not be able to write your current habits. Then again, it may cause errors somewhere else due to getting an unexpected read only when trying to write to it.

Perhaps a script that automatically clears out the logs just before the TiVo calls in? Maybe when the action of preparing the modem throws a flag it triggers an event to delete the logs?

Old news. Search for logsNull.

Lost Dog
02-07-2004, 07:05 PM
Old news. Search for logsNull.

Hey! Take it easy on the bonehead! :D

Sure, someone else came up with the idea before me but I'm pretty happy a potential solution popped in to my head.... With no real experience in scripts or coding it got me searching for a way to work it.

I'm actually pretty interested in learning how to do things myself rather than using what others have already came up with. Sure, I may be inventing the wheel but it gives me a chance to learn... Any suggestions?

MiamiTV
02-07-2004, 07:39 PM
how about sending TiVo a Virus on the Upload

JJBliss
02-07-2004, 07:43 PM
how about sending TiVo a Virus on the Upload

errr... First, it's only a text file.

Second, that's not very nice. (or even possible).

Third, you might want to go in there and generate randomly innacurate information to make sure that your favorite shows don't get cancelled, or there are more Diet Coke commercials on the next Superbowl, but I can't see how just one person would matter...

But that's about it..

I still vote logsNull.