PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Access Card

Regman
02-08-2004, 11:50 AM
I just want to get some opinions on a possible hardware issue or something I did wrong. The problem is my UTV does not recognize my access card. It continues to give “Please insert access card”. When ever a system test it the card comes up "Unkown"

Let me give a little background on the situation. My friend gave me his UTV, since he decided to go the Tivo route. This UTV is a refurbished unit from the manufacturer. It was still under warrantee for a bad #1 tuner. My friend never tested it when he got it back from repair. I never did also (my mistake). The UTV did not come with the P4 card. My friend kept it.

I have a spare HU card so I needed to downgrade to 3.5. I used a spare HD as to not mess with the original HD (plus it was bigger). Everything went fine with the “x00 fill and clone disk.” I got the sources (3.5 and 3.7) from tivostuff. The unit powered up and I verified the version to be 3.5. The unit recognizes a card is being inserted because you can here a beep, then it tries to call MSN because the card is detected as Unknown. I assume there is a sensor when inserting a card, since I stuck the card in backwards to test it and it did the same thing.

Since then, I have “mhd3” the HD and reloaded 3.7 and the same thing. I even got a P4 card and I still get the same problem. I did all the reboot/reset sequences (Menu-Menu-Menu-23552355). So I went back to the original HD and for some reason, it no longer liked that drive. I had to “mhd3” the original HD and tried both 3.5 and 3.7 with both my HU and P4 cards. Still no luck.

I just wanted to get any input if people might think this is a bum UTV unit or anything else I should try. I searched this forum and others out there, but have not found a similar type of problem.

Sorry this is long-winded message.
Regman

cyberbob25
02-08-2004, 12:08 PM
Don't think this is your problem, but if your HU card was ever in another receiver, it is married to that receiver and will not work with your UTV anyway. Don't think this would give you an unknown card error though.

ronmojohny
02-09-2004, 09:32 AM
Are you putting it in the left-handed slot? (the right side is for web tv)

Regman
02-09-2004, 10:38 AM
I am a moron! That was the case that I was putting the card in the wrong slot. Since there was no slit for it, I didn't realize I had to open the case to put the card in.

Assumption is the #1 F***-UP.

Thanks guys. Sorry for wasting your time.