PDA

View Full Version : cachecard install error - unable to find complete string

mikeshaver
02-08-2004, 12:58 PM
I'm trying to install my newly received cachecard. I've downloaded the drivers to a floppy as well as the old_nic_install CD image.

I boot off the CD image, and follow the directions. It seems to install the cachecard stuff OK, and then comes to the network config section. I enter in the IP/subnet/gateway I need, and it begins to install. Then I get this message:

Updating startup script...
ERROR - Unable to find complete string

I also get the identical error if I try to install the regular tivonet card (which I also have).

Any help appreciated.

SR712
02-08-2004, 01:05 PM
Jafa would be the one to answer this, as only he knows what the string he is trying to find is.

mikeshaver
02-08-2004, 01:28 PM
I posted this on his forums as well but haven't heard from him yet.

The tivo has been modded by someone else in the past. Some files are probably not where they are expected to be.

I'd like to do a "fresh install" but I don't want to lose my recordings...

If anyone else has any ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

BubbleLamp
02-08-2004, 05:21 PM
Ask someone with a cache card to tell you the driver name and edit the rc file manually. You might want to check out this (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29848) thread too.

AVD
02-08-2004, 10:39 PM
manual install is easy enough, but why isn't the installer working?

BubbleLamp
02-08-2004, 10:45 PM
manual install is easy enough, but why isn't the installer working?
Like he said, someone modded it before, so who knows what the files look like. Jafa can't possibly handle every oddball config file out there.

mikeshaver
02-11-2004, 02:00 PM
OK, so lets say I want to nuke the whole drive and start fresh? I'm assuming I use the Extreme 2.5 image?

Is there anyway to preserve only the recordings before I do it, for reinstallation back once the new Extreme image is on?

Any tips appreciated.

djohn
02-11-2004, 06:14 PM
You could install mfs_ftp and pull all your recordings off and then reinsert them after you reloaded your drive. I am sure someone else might have a better suggestion but this method would work.

AVD
02-12-2004, 12:59 AM
from jafa at www.silicondust.com

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:43 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The easiest way to update is to follow the tivo native install instructions here:

http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3

But if you are running xplusz or othere custom mods to rc.net then you can update manually by copying the files manually...

cachecard.o and turbonet2.o should be copied to /lib/modules and cachectl should be copied to /sbin. Also don't forget to run chmod +x on cachectl

add 2 lines to the rc.sysinit

and add a rc.net file

shifted
12-09-2004, 04:32 AM
Updating startup script...
ERROR - Unable to find complete string

I had the same problem when trying to install a turbonet on a Series 1 that was freshly refurbished. Adding a line to rc.sysinit solved the problem:

echo echo \"rc.sysinit is complete\" >> rc.sysinit

Be sure you have both >> characters, and yes, echo is supposed to appear twice. Thanks to jafa for the tip.