PDA

View Full Version : How to with hdvr2?

mike9515756
02-12-2004, 12:10 AM
i just bought a hdvr2 and i have been reading most posts here and at ddbother sites but i am still unclear on how to upgrade ver 3 to 4.1. Do i just mfs backup the original image and mfsrestore the downloaded 4.1 ver located on my fat32 ? If i decide to keep ver 3; when i backup the image should i skip the restore part? Isn't mfstools2 already in sleepers? So...i use mfs tools to upgrade and sleepers to hack right? Where can i find fakecall.tcl and how do i apply it. I would really appreciate help with this. Dont want to have a 1st bad experience.

captain_video
02-12-2004, 09:25 AM
Sleeper's tivoscript does not contain MFS Tools. Get a copy of johnnydeath's MFS Tools boot CD. It's been tweaked with a few extra features that are useful when working with S2 Tivos. You can download it from this site:

http://star1.jongans.com/mfstools2.iso

Backup your original 3.1 image using MFS Tools and restore the 4.0 image to the drive you plan on installing in the Tivo. It is highly recommended that you kep the original drive as a backup and use a different drive for the hacked Tivo. If you do decide to use the original drive for your 4.0 OS then you should at least see if you can borrow a drive to test out your 3.1 backup image. If the backup doesn't work you'll have to create a new one. Falling hard drive prices make this a very economical solution these days.

When using Sleeper's ISO after restoring a 4.0 image to your drive you should skip both the backup and restore phases and go directly to the surgery phase.

tytyty
02-12-2004, 09:53 AM
Sleeper's tivoscript does not contain MFS Tools. Get a copy of johnnydeath's MFS Tools boot CD. It's been tweaked with a few extra features that are useful when working with S2 Tivos. You can download it from this site:

http://star1.jongans.com/mfstools2.iso

Backup your original 3.1 image using MFS Tools and restore the 4.0 image to the drive you plan on installing in the Tivo. It is highly recommended that you kep the original drive as a backup and use a different drive for the hacked Tivo. If you do decide to use the original drive for your 4.0 OS then you should at least see if you can borrow a drive to test out your 3.1 backup image. If the backup doesn't work you'll have to create a new one. Falling hard drive prices make this a very economical solution these days.

When using Sleeper's ISO after restoring a 4.0 image to your drive you should skip both the backup and restore phases and go directly to the surgery phase.

Um thats not exactly correct, since sleepers pulls the kernel during those phases.

1. Restore desired image to drive using mfsrestore
2. Run "Sleepers" do not bother testing after backup or restore as your unit will puke :)
3. Run surgery phase, test afterwards.
4. Run hacks phase
5. Reboot use alt-F2 to get to new shell, mount the active tivo root and rip out the networking, and hacks startup lines in rc.sysinit.author, also delete /var/tytools, /var/tivoweb-tcl and if it exists /var/mfs_ftp, none of those work with 4.0.

captain_video
02-12-2004, 10:14 AM
Um thats not exactly correct, since sleepers pulls the kernel during those phases.

I'm not so sure this is the case. I can't remember exactly which phase this occurs in but I believe it takes place during the surgery phase. From what I remember, the backup and restore phases are no different than just doing this with MFS Tools. (I think I just contradicted my previous post, didn't I?) Based on that it would appear that Sleeper's ISO does contain some form of MFS Tools as part of the software package but it's set up to run in an automated manner. I don't think it would allow you to perform the restoration phase using an image that wasn't created during the backup phase since it slaps a date code and other data in the file name. I suppose you could move the backup file to a different directory and rename the 4.0 image to match the backup you just created but I don't know if you'd be able to use the existing variables file created during the backup process. Worst case is that you'd probably just get an error message while attempting the restore and it wouldn't run it.

Sleeper
02-12-2004, 11:25 AM
The ISO contains mfstools. Press Alt+F2 at the main menu. You can access them directly.

Backup and restore phases are basically mfsbackup and mfsrestore, except some info is stored and some drive size checks are made. You should be able to do your own backup/restore and use the scripts for surgery. This is how many have installed 4.x on their HDVR2's. However, its not supported (by me) but others have supported it (Thanks!)

S.

David Bought
02-12-2004, 12:03 PM
I'm not so sure this is the case. I can't remember exactly which phase this occurs in but I believe it takes place during the surgery phase. From what I remember, the backup and restore phases are no different than just doing this with MFS Tools. (I think I just contradicted my previous post, didn't I?) Based on that it would appear that Sleeper's ISO does contain some form of MFS Tools as part of the software package but it's set up to run in an automated manner. I don't think it would allow you to perform the restoration phase using an image that wasn't created during the backup phase since it slaps a date code and other data in the file name. I suppose you could move the backup file to a different directory and rename the 4.0 image to match the backup you just created but I don't know if you'd be able to use the existing variables file created during the backup process. Worst case is that you'd probably just get an error message while attempting the restore and it wouldn't run it.

Bwahahaha, this guy really has no clue. When did they rename this place to "CONFUSE the NEWBIE forum"? :D

Mike numbers, take everything CV says with a grain of salt, because more often than not it's just a wild assed guess.

Welcome to Dealdatabase.

mike9515756
02-12-2004, 12:27 PM
"It is highly recommended that you kep the original drive as a backup and use a different drive for the hacked Tivo" why? do you mean keep the drive and use it as a computer drive or keep the drive intact? Would it be better to keep version 3; if so why? If i were to keep ver3 when i do mfsbackup why would i have to do mfs restore after since the image is still present? If i understand properly sleepers does all the hacks by itself.....no commands to type just pressing enter? :)

mike9515756
02-12-2004, 01:01 PM

1. Restore desired image to drive using mfsrestore
2. Run "Sleepers" do not bother testing after backup or restore as your unit will puke :)
3. Run surgery phase, test afterwards.
4. Run hacks phase
5. Reboot use alt-F2 to get to new shell, mount the active tivo root and rip out the networking, and hacks startup lines in rc.sysinit.author, also delete /var/tytools, /var/tivoweb-tcl and if it exists /var/mfs_ftp, none of those work with 4.0.

Tytyty, Can you give me the exact commands or point me to them for #5. I thought alt-F2 just enabled me to go up in the code.

mike9515756
02-12-2004, 01:04 PM
[QUOTE=David Bought]Bwahahaha, this guy really has no clue. When did they rename this place to "CONFUSE the NEWBIE forum"? :D

Mike numbers, take everything CV says with a grain of salt, because more often than not it's just a wild assed guess.

Hey David, aren't you guys experts here. I have to say that all the information on this website is dispersed here and there which makes it confusing. Isn't the a clear cut way of doing all the steps

malfunct
02-12-2004, 01:11 PM
[QUOTE=David Bought]Bwahahaha, this guy really has no clue. When did they rename this place to "CONFUSE the NEWBIE forum"? :D

Hey David, aren't you guys experts here. I have to say that all the information on this website is dispersed here and there which makes it confusing. Isn't the a clear cut way of doing all the steps

There are definitely clear cut ways to do these things, but this website is about developing hacks, not producing clean consumer ready packages of the hacks. Thats the way it goes with hacking, the developments are spread thin and you need to have a high level of knowledge to understand them.

This board is better than most at handling newbies, but you still have to do a LOT of reading.

tytyty
02-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Tytyty, Can you give me the exact commands or point me to them for #5. I thought alt-F2 just enabled me to go up in the code.

At step #5

Alt-F2 enter
mount /dev/hdcx /mnt/tivo <-- where x is 4 or 7 depending on where true root is, try both the one with a /usr is the one you need

ls /mnt/tivo to check

using joe comment out as follows

#Set the IP address
#ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.105 broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask255.255.255.0
#route add default gw 192.168.0.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1

#Load telnet daemon and ftp dameon
tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
tivoftpd
#cd /usr/mfs_ftp
#/usr/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl &
#cd /

#Load tivoweb
#/usr/tivoweb-tcl/tivoweb

#Load kmem to prevent scrambling
#kmem 800bf958 00001021

cd /mnt/tivo/usr

rm -Rf mfs_ftp
rm -Rf tivoweb-tcl
rm -Rf tytool

cd /

umount /mnt/tivo

reboot

(the mfs_ftp stuff will not be there if you have a recent copy it was removed at riley's request)

Later today after I get home and analyze sleepers original scripts again I will post some other useful fixes (joe, /var/hack rebuilding, proper mfs_ftp install)

Hope this helps

Oh and if I made any errors here (is it hdc or hdd mine iso is modified) please point them out politley

mike9515756
02-12-2004, 01:43 PM
Thanks ALOT Tytyty i really appreciate your time and effort.

[QUOTE=tytyty]At step #5

Alt-F2 enter
mount /dev/hdcx /mnt/tivo <-- where x is 4 or 7 depending on where true root is, try both the one with a /usr is the one you need

so i type /usr before: mount /dev/hdcx /mnt/tivo that will give me the value 4 or 7 which i will add to hdc4 or hcd7

ls /mnt/tivo to check

using joe comment out as follows

#Set the IP address
#ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.105 broadcast 192.168.0.255 --> if i give it a static ip why is eth0 and broadcast different, Is this a ip range? if so...why?netmask255.255.255.0
#route add default gw 192.168.0.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1

#Load telnet daemon and ftp dameon
tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
tivoftpd
#cd /usr/mfs_ftp
#/usr/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl &
#cd /

#Load tivoweb
#/usr/tivoweb-tcl/tivoweb

#Load kmem to prevent scrambling
#kmem 800bf958 00001021

cd /mnt/tivo/usr

rm -Rf mfs_ftp
rm -Rf tivoweb-tcl
rm -Rf tytool

cd /

umount /mnt/tivo

reboot

(the mfs_ftp stuff will not be there if you have a recent copy it was removed at riley's request) Recent copy where...tivo drive or fat32 drive?

tytyty
02-12-2004, 01:58 PM
so i type /usr before: mount /dev/hdcx /mnt/tivo that will give me the value 4 or 7 which i will add to hdc4 or hcd7

No do
mount /dev/hdc4 /mnt/tivo
then
ls /mnt/tivo
an see if there is a usr
if not
umount /mnt/tivo
mount /dev/hdc7 /mnt/tivo

As i said in bottom of my last post hdc maybe incorrect I use a custom sleeper iso

--> if i give it a static ip why is eth0 and broadcast different, Is this a ip range? if so...why?

Not sure what you are asking there that line is correct for that ip.
I am aproaching this as if you are going to use 4.0 or 4.01 on the unit which have networking built-in, if not you will need to keep those lines making sure that they match your requirments.

Also my edits on the rc.sysinit.author did not show commenting out the insmod lines, you need to doi that also for 4.0x

Recent copy where...tivo drive or fat32 drive?

By recent copy I meant a recent copy of sleepers scripts they were modified to remove that as I said.

To reinstall mfs_ftp get a copy from rileys thread.

captain_video
02-12-2004, 02:18 PM
The ISO contains mfstools. Press Alt+F2 at the main menu. You can access them directly.

Backup and restore phases are basically mfsbackup and mfsrestore, except some info is stored and some drive size checks are made. You should be able to do your own backup/restore and use the scripts for surgery. This is how many have installed 4.x on their HDVR2's. However, its not supported (by me) but others have supported it (Thanks!)

Aside from my brainfart about MFS Tools, I believe this is exactly what I stated in my first post.

Sleeper, thanks for the tip about accessing MFS Tools directly. Now I don't have to keep swapping discs to add a 2nd drive to the mix.

mike9515756
02-12-2004, 04:03 PM
Sorry i didn't ask before dont want to sound like a dumbass... Sleepers will do this step for me right? or do alt-F2+ manual command to do this?----> "1. Restore desired image to drive using mfsrestore"

No do
mount /dev/hdc4 /mnt/tivo
then
ls /mnt/tivo
an see if there is a usr
if not
umount /mnt/tivo
mount /dev/hdc7 /mnt/tivo

As i said in bottom of my last post hdc maybe incorrect I use a custom sleeper iso

Not sure what you are asking there that line is correct for that ip.
I am aproaching this as if you are going to use 4.0 or 4.01 on the unit which have networking built-in, if not you will need to keep those lines making sure that they match your requirments.

Also my edits on the rc.sysinit.author did not show commenting out the insmod lines, you need to doi that also for 4.0x Can you point me where to find the commenting for this

By recent copy I meant a recent copy of sleepers scripts they were modified to remove that as I said. Should i use the previous version instead?To reinstall mfs_ftp get a copy from rileys thread.

tytyty
02-12-2004, 04:16 PM
Lets take a look back at your first post here shall we

upgrade ver 3 to 4.1. Do i just mfs backup the original image and mfsrestore the downloaded 4.1 ver located on my fat32 ?

The version is 4.0 or 4.0.1 that I am talking about, to use the same version as what is on your drive now just use sleepers.

A full implementation of mfstools is avalable for your use when you do the alt-F2 trick.

Heres a hint for anyone using sleepers it automagically mounts /cdrive for you.

So you can do backup and restore from the root of your c: drive or the c:/tivo if it has been created.

an example

mfsbackup -f 4138 -6so /cdrive/mybackup.mfs /dev/hdc

then

mfsrestore -zxpi /cdrive/some4.0image.mfs /dev/hdc

Do some more reading on Hinsdale, and linux commands........

Please it will save you alot of grief

mike9515756
02-12-2004, 06:02 PM
Can I, correct me if i am wrong is:

1- Boot sleepers, do not do alt-f2

2- backup the original image ver 3 of the drive which should be done automatically in sleepers. if so, can i change the name mybackup.mfs manually when in sleepers? Do i have to create a dir ex:mybackup.mfs on my fat32 partition first or is this done automatically?

3- Restore ver4.0 which is on my fat32 called c:tivo.mfs. When in sleepers...during the restore part, can i manually change the dir from ex:mybackup.mfs to tivo4.0.mfs

During the restore what will happen to ver 3...get replaced or upgraded by 4.0 or have both and then have to manually delete files?

Also my fat32 has 2 partitions c and d when i put the tivo drive what will it be called or is that irrelevant?

If i cant do this, what i should do is:

1-boot sleepers

2-alt F2

3- mfsbackup -f 4138 -6so /cdrive/mybackup.mfs /dev/hdc or change mybackup.mfs to tivoimagever3.mfs...does the extension mean anything; could it be tivoimagever3.abc?

4- mfsrestore -zxpi /cdrive/some4.0image.mfs /dev/hdc same thing for extension as in 3?

5-reboot, ctrl-alt-del proceed to surgury and skip backup and restore in sleepers

How do i make sure it has restored properly ver 4.0?

Thanks again, really appreciate your time and dedication

Lets take a look back at your first post here shall we

The version is 4.0 or 4.0.1 that I am talking about, to use the same version as what is on your drive now just use sleepers.

A full implementation of mfstools is avalable for your use when you do the alt-F2 trick.

Heres a hint for anyone using sleepers it automagically mounts /cdrive for you.

So you can do backup and restore from the root of your c: drive or the c:/tivo if it has been created.

an example

mfsbackup -f 4138 -6so /cdrive/mybackup.mfs /dev/hdc

then

mfsrestore -zxpi /cdrive/some4.0image.mfs /dev/hdc

Do some more reading on Hinsdale, and linux commands........

Please it will save you alot of grief