PDA

View Full Version : Phillips DSR6000

Bosbury1
02-15-2004, 11:06 PM
Replaced my stock fan with the Vantec Thermoflow Temperature Controlled unit (model TF6025) removed the top and the unit operates anywhere from from 50 to 65 degrees. I have the unit in a enclosed cabinet, which I think is not helping the heat disipation process. Even with the upgrade fan it doesn't seem to be moving the air sufficiently. What other options do I have? Move to a more powerful fan? or even two? Any suggestions on the best fan meaning highest CFM with lowest decibels?

BubbleLamp
02-15-2004, 11:42 PM
Replaced my stock fan with the Vantec Thermoflow Temperature Controlled unit (model TF6025) removed the top and the unit operates anywhere from from 50 to 65 degrees. I have the unit in a enclosed cabinet, which I think is not helping the heat disipation process. Even with the upgrade fan it doesn't seem to be moving the air sufficiently. What other options do I have? Move to a more powerful fan? or even two? Any suggestions on the best fan meaning highest CFM with lowest decibels?
One good tip is to raise the unit up a little to allow more air in. Also, make a divider that runs front to back under the unit. This keeps the hot air coming out the right from getting sucked back in on the left.

SR712
02-16-2004, 12:00 AM
Also, did you connect the new fan to the 7V terminals that are controlled by the fancontrol module, or did you connect it to a 12 V supply, such as one of the hard drive connectors? Big difference in fan speed. Also, more noisey. The yellow pin is the 12V feed on the hard drive connector. Its ground is the black right next to it. The temp controlled fan you bought probably would have a difficult time regulating the fan speed with just 7 volts. It would expect 12 on its input.

Meathead
02-16-2004, 12:25 AM
I use a USB Laptop cooler for my Series 2. I also use one with a series 1. However the series 1 doesn't have a USB port. So I bought a DC powered USB hub. Works great. Before you go to all this trouble, you might want to cut some vent holes in the back of the cabinet. If it was me, I'd do both.

Bosbury1
02-16-2004, 10:14 AM
I forgot to add that I've placed wood blocks under each side of the unit to the tune of about 2' to 2.5' inches. Also, I connected the black wire to the black wire going to the hard drives and the red wire to the red wire (hard drive). The yellow wire is not connected. Is it better to connect to the OEM jack on the mother board?

SR712
02-16-2004, 12:53 PM
No. The red wire on a hard drive connector is only 5Volts. So you are running a 12 Volt Fan on 5 Volts, and wondering why the TiVo's hot? I'm surprised the TiVo hasn't melted by now.

Bosbury1
02-16-2004, 03:08 PM
No. The red wire on a hard drive connector is only 5Volts. So you are running a 12 Volt Fan on 5 Volts, and wondering why the TiVo's hot? I'm surprised the TiVo hasn't melted by now.

Let me get this straight Black (fan) to Black (connector) and Red (fan) to Yellow (connector). Is this correct?

GREEK
02-17-2004, 10:44 PM
You may be better off just getting an adapter for it, its easier than splicing when you gotta work on it later on. Test with a meter if your unsure, but yellow is 12v, red is 5v, the two blacks are respective grounds. Lifting helps the cooling, and another good trick is to get some soft foam insulation, the kind they give you with an airconditioner, and seperate the bottom of the unit down the middle in half. Keeps the hot and cool intakes seperate, good for a few degrees, every little bit helps in a tivo, especially the drive/tuner heat. Notice the ser2 have chipset coolers on the tivo and mips processors, you can get a set of 5 at compusa for 9 bucks and it has 2 large, 1 medium, and 2 fan driven coolers and thermal paste included too..........

SR712
02-17-2004, 10:58 PM
Let me get this straight Black (fan) to Black (connector) and Red (fan) to Yellow (connector). Is this correct?

Yes. You need 12 volts for the 12 volt thermalflow fan to work correctly. It will limp along on just 5V. (It'll be much quieter, though. :D )

Bosbury1
02-18-2004, 08:03 AM
Connected the black (fan) to the Black (tivo) and the Red (fan) to the Yellow (tivo) the fan spins much faster, howerver the noise level is too much I might have to purchase another fan to lessen the noise factor. Thanks for the insight.

acr2001
02-18-2004, 01:24 PM
If the noise level is too much just connect the fan to the fan controll supply and see if it can still dissipate enough heat. I dont understand why your having such heat problems that you have to go through all the trouble of placing yout tivo on wooden blocks. You could always do this http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31795. Just make sure the new fan blows air IN and the old fan is blowing OUT. My tivo runs at about 30 degrees with it!

Bosbury1
02-18-2004, 10:09 PM
Switched the fan direction (from air going out toward power supply to air going in toward hard drives) and the internal temperature seems to drop a little to about 50-50 degrees. Also, I've modded the fan housing with the piece of metal to direct the air movement directly under the hard drives got the mode from a thread. Should I remove that mod?

acr2001
02-19-2004, 03:05 AM
Well, if your main concern is the temp readout on the tivo, you need to direct your cooling toward the cpu area (the 2 chips with the heatsinks on them) because i *think* thats where the thermal sensor is. Please, someone correct me if im wrong.

GREEK
02-20-2004, 12:31 AM
In a ser1, there is no heatsinks on the chips. In a ser1, the hotspots are the tuners, The hard drive, and the power supply. You can get a heatsink cooler chipset at compusa for 10 bucks, I use them in all my ser1 personal machines. If you go to a computer mod site that has cooling mods, they have charts on the fans db rating and cfm. Get the fan that has the lowest db and a decent cfm. If you 7v it instead of 12, its gonna drop its numbers in half on cfm. I have found some fans get louder at 7v. The best thing is to get the largest fan you can, and run it the slowest. I use 92mm on a step down rig and they are all under 40c running at 6-7 volts. You can use a thermal fan control if you want to, will turn up and down automatically according to temp...........

acr2001
02-20-2004, 01:52 AM
I have found some fans get louder at 7v
...interesting!

Bosbury1
02-20-2004, 08:33 PM
Greek,
Can you make a recommendation for my Phillips DSR6000? Thanks.

tivodoc
02-20-2004, 10:09 PM
I have similar problems with my unit that is encloded in a cabinet. No fan at whatever voltage made a huge (>3 degree) difference. I bought an 8 cm fan and drilled a hole in the back of the cabinet. This dropped the temp 8-12 degrees but adds some noise to the room. Mounting the fan inside the cabinet drops the sound a lot. Hope this helps.

Bosbury1
02-21-2004, 12:11 PM
Will the 92MM fit in the DSR6000? Also, does it make sense to go to the intake/exhaust route, which I've seen some enthusiasts do? My unit is running anywhere from 48 to 54 degrees is this an acceptable temperature?

acr2001
02-22-2004, 01:36 AM
My tivo used to run at 48 before any mods were done.
I think your current temp is ok.

Youll know if its not, because the tivo will shut down and tell you it has overheated.

I use the intake/outtake method and i get a consistant 30 degree temp :D

Bosbury1
02-22-2004, 01:49 AM
What fan's are you running? Can you make a recommentation? Also, I guess it's actually 3 fans correct intake/exhaust and regular fan. The reason I want to nip this in the bud now is because summer is right around the corner and I don't want any issues. Thanks for all the information.

acr2001
02-23-2004, 01:31 AM
If your good with tools and arent planning to stack anything on top of the tivo you could always try this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31795&highlight=post+mods)

Works wonders for me!
(and im getting a consistant 30 degree temp. Thats the ONLY mod ive made to the cooling system.)

Bosbury1
02-24-2004, 07:40 AM
Yes... I think that's what I need to do as well. What are the best fans to purchase to acomplish that mod? Yesterday, I was at Fry's and they had some fans but wasn't sure if they would work.

Loopie111
02-24-2004, 08:39 PM
Is your tivo sitting on top of a stereo receiver or another component that dissipates heat out of the top? If so it would likely be your problem. You could try moving it down towards the bottom of the cabinet. I would also change your fan back to blow out since the power supply is probably the hottest component. I have a dsr6000 in a enclosed cabinet with the vantec fan and it stays around 50deg c.

acr2001
02-26-2004, 07:01 PM
heres a nice one:
http://www.directron.com/vcf8025aibg.html

If you dont like the idea of the leds then just look for a
QUIET, LOW DECEBEL
80mm cooling fan
and make sure it has a MOLEX connector (the hard drive connector) so that it can easily be plugged into the tivo without splicing.

...dont forget to get a fan grill so the fan blades arent exposed to fingers and such.

Bosbury1
02-28-2004, 09:15 PM
heres a nice one:
http://www.directron.com/vcf8025aibg.html

If you dont like the idea of the leds then just look for a
QUIET, LOW DECEBEL
80mm cooling fan
and make sure it has a MOLEX connector (the hard drive connector) so that it can easily be plugged into the tivo without splicing.

...dont forget to get a fan grill so the fan blades arent exposed to fingers and such.

Great... Made my purchase today should be here within a week or so thanks for all the information.

hoopa
03-02-2004, 06:14 PM
go back to stock fan-- and use a samsung 5400 120gig drive== very quiet and very low heat-- also when you raised the unit with the wooden sticks-- were you sure not to put them on the outside edge of the dsr-- that is where the air and exhaust ports are--- place the wood risers about 2 inches in from edges-- also you might want to cut a hole in the back of the sterio case-- and even put a small fan in the sterio case== that way it can move the hot air out of the case its self... your dsr should be running around 48 or so..

goodluck