PDA

View Full Version : Grrr, don't buy maxtor drives

jonbig
02-16-2004, 08:30 PM
Two dead 120GB 6Y120L01s in five months.

No more Maxtor drives for me...

NutKase
02-17-2004, 12:32 AM
Two dead 120GB 6Y120L01s in five months.

No more Maxtor drives for me...

What's the temp in your tivos? Have you had your electrical current checked?

I've had 2 120GB Maxtors in my 2 tivos for 16 months, both monte's and fully hacked according to my sig with no problems whatsoever.

I won't by anything else... a Seagate (the first I ever installed) in my pc crapped out and caused unheard of cursing...

NutKase

jonbig
02-17-2004, 01:00 AM
What's the temp in your tivos? Have you had your electrical current checked?

I've had 2 120GB Maxtors in my 2 tivos for 16 months, both monte's and fully hacked according to my sig with no problems whatsoever.

I won't by anything else... a Seagate (the first I ever installed) in my pc crapped out and caused unheard of cursing...

NutKase

The temp runs at about 40C, which is cooler than with the original drive, since I've got a Weeknees bracket in it with a second fan.

I bought both Maxtors at the same time. I must have gotten a bad batch. :(

I'm going to try a pair of Hitachi/IBM drives now.

vertex
02-17-2004, 01:54 PM
Ive got 3 maxtors in my pc and one in my tivo, the drives are about 2-3 years old and i havent had a problem yet.

The temp runs at about 40C, which is cooler than with the original drive, since I've got a Weeknees bracket in it with a second fan.

I bought both Maxtors at the same time. I must have gotten a bad batch. :(

I'm going to try a pair of Hitachi/IBM drives now.

jonbig
02-17-2004, 02:04 PM
Ive got 3 maxtors in my pc and one in my tivo, the drives are about 2-3 years old and i havent had a problem yet.

Yeah. Different manufacturers have had runs of bad drives at different times. It was just my unlucky year. :(

The irritating thing is that this drive went bad *completely*, as in a nasty clicking sound when the Tivo or my PC tries to initialize the drive. The previous drive just had some bad blocks, so I was able to recover almost all of my recordings. So much for the 13 hours of 24 that I hadn't started watching yet. :(

captain_video
02-17-2004, 02:33 PM
One thing I've learned over the years is that you can get bad drives from any manufacturer and you can also get some great drives. I've had drives die in my PC but I can't ever remember having one die in a Tivo. I've used drives from Quantum, Maxtor, Western Digital, and Seagate, all with excellent results. It's just the luck of the draw if you get a bad one. If you can get a drive with a 3-year warranty then by all means go for it. Most retail drives only come with a 1-year drive these days and most of the drives I've had fail did so between 1 and 3 years after purchase. BTW, I'd avoid using IBM drives in a Tivo (or anywhere else for that matter). I've heard nothing but horror stories using these drives. Some people like Samsung drives for their Tivo upgrades although I've never used one myself. I generally buy whatever has a discount and/or a healthy rebate at the time.

Lowcarb
02-17-2004, 04:23 PM
. BTW, I'd avoid using IBM drives in a Tivo (or anywhere else for that matter). I've heard nothing but horror stories using these drives.

There was quite a problem with IBM drives (60G size) a while back.

Speaking of drives though. Does anyone know/if the acoustic properties of a Western Digital 120G WD1200JB can be modified . The 120G I put in my SD-DVR40 that is in the bedroom is louder than I like.

I know that some other drive manufacturers allow you to set those properties, but WD doesn't offer any software on their site to do this.

SR712
02-17-2004, 07:24 PM
Not sue about that brand, but the Hitachi Feature Tool seems to work on many others than Hitachi (like Seagate Barracudas). There is a thread on it somewheres here.....

GREEK
02-17-2004, 09:38 PM
Two notes. If putting dual drives in a tivo, it REALLY helps to get different brand drives. They will have slightly different startup times, and that helps the supply alot. The biggest drain on a supply is at drive startup, stick a meter on your 12 and 5 volt leads and watch it dive. Not so bad with one drive, or two different drive makers. As with others, I've had drives go from every maker. WD is my choice right now, only lost one that was 4 yrs old. I too have had maxtor problems, I lost 2 80 giggers in a few months, one in a linux box, and the other on my main Doz box, and that one had ALL my tivo stuff on it, completely dead. Even tried to get the same identical drive and swap controller baords, still not recognized by my bios. Now I'm stuck with another one of these junkers, the 8mb 7200 ones. Only bad thing about WD is they get noisy after time, otherwise I love them. They have 3 yr. warranties, and so do samsung(havent used yet). Seagate and maxtor now have 1 yr. warranty, unless OEM install by a distributor. Stay away from IBM, got a couple for nothing 2 years ago, used in a file server, and all 3 died in less than 6 months. I really beleive its luck of the draw. The only thing that sucks is when you warranty a drive, they send back refurbs 90% of the time, although I have gotten new and even gotten bigger drives a few times for nothing extra...........