PDA

View Full Version : need help learning winhex + new HDD

labrat22
02-18-2004, 11:56 PM
OK...I thought I did enough reading, but I gots problems.
I have a 490RE and I bought a new WD120GB HDD. I did't want to take the chance screwing up my original HDD by reading the 3.7 OS...so I downloaded it from Tivo$$ff. Problem is..the FSNo is at OFFSET 32 (decimal).
I've read that the FSNo is supposed to be at 15480624.
Some people use hex numbers...some use the decimal numbers...and a noob like me gets confused between threads. The first time I did this..I was stuck at 'dialing MSN'..which I would rather not do and have to answer questions. So..what OFFSET numbers should I be using if I have this 3.7 file from TIVO$$ff ?? Why is FSNo at 32 ?
Thanks for yuor help! :)

fixn278
02-19-2004, 12:01 AM
OK...I thought I did enough reading, but I gots problems.
I have a 490RE and I bought a new WD120GB HDD. I did't want to take the chance screwing up my original HDD by reading the 3.7 OS...so I downloaded it from Tivo$$ff. Problem is..the FSNo is at OFFSET 32 (decimal).
I've read that the FSNo is supposed to be at 15480624.
Some people use hex numbers...some use the decimal numbers...and a noob like me gets confused between threads. The first time I did this..I was stuck at 'dialing MSN'..which I would rather not do and have to answer questions. So..what OFFSET numbers should I be using if I have this 3.7 file from TIVO$$ff ?? Why is FSNo at 32 ?
Thanks for yuor help! :)

Sounds like you are making this harder than it needs to be. If you are installing a new drive and want the latest software (3.7) then just put in the drive and let it dial up. It will automatically download and install 3.7

Good luck

RandC
02-19-2004, 02:09 AM
labrat22, the start sector for the OS system is sector 631811 (also LBA 13480600). I also zero out offset 0 thru 178C2FFF just to clear out and data in that area, then install OS.

RandC

djohn
02-19-2004, 12:53 PM
If you don't want to just let it dialout to download then write the image to the correct location.

Use the downloaded image as the source file, use the new hard drive as the destination disk, select copy entire source file, use 631811 as the start sector (destination) and write the file to that location.

If you ended up with FSNo at offset 32 you likely didn't select the start sector when you wrote the file.

labrat22
02-22-2004, 01:01 AM
UPDATE:
THANKS for the info. I must have done something wrong the first time and with the help of MHD3, I zeroed out the drive again. Now...I wrote the image, slid my baby blue access card in, called DTV, and I am now watching TV with 105 hours of recording time !! and MSN doesn't know a thing about what I did ! Thanks again for the help! :D