PDA

View Full Version : tivo boot probs

Maint
02-19-2004, 10:59 AM
Hi all,
Trying to restore my tivo to working order, and all I get is the welcome. powering up... screen..
I got a fresh 45 gig IBM hard drive, loaded the mfsrestore bootcd with dma disabled. mfsrestored a working image onto the drive using mfsrestore -s 127 /Bzpi switches.
I used the madtools bootup floppy to view the partition table that appears. all the tivo partitions are listed correctly (boot1/shell1/root1/boot2/shell2/root2 etc).
After placing the drive in the tivo on either master or cable select, all I get is the Welcome. Warming up.. screen.
I then booted up in my pc again using the mfsrestore cd and used MakeTivoBootable with -d /dev/hdc --pk 2 --ak 5 --bswap --bp root=/dev/hdc5
(i got the correct numbers to use for the root and kernel from the table when i was in MAD).
The tivo STILL doesnt boot.. it still only sits on the Welcome. Warming up.. Screen. I can hear the hard drive being accessed for a few secs when the tivo is plugged in, but thats it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Its a series 2 tivo TCD24004A, and I am only trying to get this one IBM 44 gig working on it. The image i am using is tcd240040_40.bak.

Maint
02-19-2004, 11:32 AM
Hi again,
I was told that the reason it still didnt work may have been because i used -B instead of -b in the mfsrestore.
Using -b causes the tivo to reboot over and over again on the warming up screen :S
Using the MakeTivoBootable tool stops the drive from resetting, but returns to the original problem of sitting on the warming up screen forever.
Again, ive tried both cable select and master jumper settings

Hi all,
Trying to restore my tivo to working order, and all I get is the welcome. powering up... screen..
I got a fresh 45 gig IBM hard drive, loaded the mfsrestore bootcd with dma disabled. mfsrestored a working image onto the drive using mfsrestore -s 127 /Bzpi switches.
I used the madtools bootup floppy to view the partition table that appears. all the tivo partitions are listed correctly (boot1/shell1/root1/boot2/shell2/root2 etc).
After placing the drive in the tivo on either master or cable select, all I get is the Welcome. Warming up.. screen.
I then booted up in my pc again using the mfsrestore cd and used MakeTivoBootable with -d /dev/hdc --pk 2 --ak 5 --bswap --bp root=/dev/hdc5
(i got the correct numbers to use for the root and kernel from the table when i was in MAD).
The tivo STILL doesnt boot.. it still only sits on the Welcome. Warming up.. Screen. I can hear the hard drive being accessed for a few secs when the tivo is plugged in, but thats it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Its a series 2 tivo TCD24004A, and I am only trying to get this one IBM 44 gig working on it. The image i am using is tcd240040_40.bak.

Maint
02-25-2004, 05:19 AM
Problem solved! was because of the stupid ibm drive i was using.. tivos cant use the older models for some reason. I switched to a later model (hitachi drive) and it worked fine. :)