PDA

View Full Version : Stuttering and Freezing

cdoggLBC
02-20-2004, 12:43 PM
I have a T60 with a stock 40GB drive and an added 120GB. Extremed and running at 3.1. Been working great for a long time. All of a sudden when I am playing back recorded shows it starts to stutter and skip (not DAVE hashing). Then it gets worse and the background animations start doing it too. Then it gets really bad and starts happening in live tv. Here is what I have done:

1) Backed up over the same spot on the recording to see if the 'stutter' error happens again. Nope. Ok. Probably not the drive.

2) Run ps -aux to see if anything is maxing out the PPC. Nope. In fact when it stutters (and is frozen) bash over serial doesn't even respond.

3) Take drives out. Run SMART test and Maxtor drive integrity test. Pass.

4) Let unit cool down over night in case it is a temp problem. Noope. Still stutters.

5) Reseat ribbon cable to power supply. No help.

6) I had previousally backed up my active OS partition to the inactive one with dd incase I ever encountered OS corruption or TiVo wiped one with a crap update. So I swiched boot partitions. No help.

7) Current: Force GSOD with mfsassert -please.

What throws me off is how this got progressivly worse. At one point I could reboot and all would be fine for 2 hours... then 1... then 15 min... then 5... then fuked right away. The other thing that is odd is how live TV will stutter. I was thinking mfs corruption, but what about the power supply?

Well this would not be a very fun hobby if shit like this never happened... :) I don't care so much about my recordings (most at least), but if I could extract the season passes befor re extreming that would be sweet. Any ideas?

Thanks.

SR712
02-20-2004, 12:55 PM
Have you measured the 5VDC supply with all the HD, Fans, and NIC powered up?

cdoggLBC
02-20-2004, 02:12 PM
Not yet... what is the best point to test from? Hard drive connector?

Have you measured the 5VDC supply with all the HD, Fans, and NIC powered up?

cdoggLBC
02-23-2004, 04:47 PM
Well I re extremed. Didn't solve the problem. I was real pissed. Then I reseated the white power fibbon cable AGAIN, and hot wired the fan to 12v. All seems to be going well. And I put in a CacheCard for sh!ts and giggles.

I think that white ribbon is the cause of MANY problems. the should of used a standard ATX connector.

vancod
03-03-2004, 12:22 PM
I have a T60 with a stock 40GB drive and an added 120GB. Extremed and running at 3.1. Been working great for a long time. All of a sudden when I am playing back recorded shows it starts to stutter and skip (not DAVE hashing). Then it gets worse and the background animations start doing it too. Then it gets really bad and starts happening in live tv. <snip>

FWIW - I had these exact issues on my Hughes DirectTiVo. I was able to lessen the issues by deleting some content, but the ONLY thing that made it go away completely was installing a cache card.

I had people insisting that I had a bad HD, Power supply, etc - but the fact that deleting content improved matters told me otherwise. All I needed was the cache card.

2+ months and loving it....

YMMV
Don

cdoggLBC
08-20-2004, 09:39 PM
This is really starting to piss me off.... Been out of the county for some time so I am getting the old T60 up and running again. I decide to restore from a virgin 3.1c2 image. Everything goes fine. Reinstall Cachecard. Clean that ****ing bastard ribbon power cable. Boot up. Everything seems to be going well. Or so I thought....

Any screen under 'Messages and Setup' freezes the entire box for seconds at a time, to only work for a few seconds then freeze again.... Nothing else seems to be affected, but there really isn't anything on the box yet. The live TV buffer also seems a little ****ed (i.e. sound drop out when it is being used).

I am really tired of this shit. I am about to toss this bitch and get an S2. I have low level formated the drives. Installed from different backups. Nothing I seem to do gets rid of this freezing. Bad power supply? or could some really nasty bad sectors on the drive do this.

SR712
08-20-2004, 09:48 PM
It sounds like it could be a CacheCard problem. Get your logs, and go see Jafa over at http://www.silicondust.com/forum

Take the memory stick out of the CacheCard, boot, and see if the oddness goes away.

grossman
09-24-2004, 07:26 AM
1) approx every 1.2-2.0 days the whole unit freezes
2) I've never got any stuttering problems

It has happened in the middle of the night, when watching live tv,
when watching a recording, and when livetv is paused.

1) The clock in the bottom right is frozen
2) no remote buttons work (yellow light on tivo front does not flash)
3) can't telnet/ftp/tivoweb/tystudio
4) neither elseed of yac display anything on an incomming call
5) console is frozen too!

It does not slow down right before it happens...it just stops!

It is not getting more of less often.

Can't find anything weird in any /var/log files

I've disabled (from rc.sysinit.author) everything except bash on console
and it still happens. I've removed all recordings and season passes and
it still happens. I'm getting no disk errors and SMART looks fine.

only other thing I can think of is the patch-4-all or monte stuff.

OH, I just noticed this is in the series 1 area....and this is a SA S2
40H upgraded to 160 with sleeper.iso