PDA

View Full Version : Tivo video playback is jumpy

mediamacros
02-21-2004, 03:47 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had my Tivo hacked for some time and all has been well. Recently, with no new changes, the video has started jumping a bit. In a given one hour show it will "hiccup" (.5-2 seconds) about 3-5 times. Its not in the actual capture, as watching the same video over does not skip. I thought maybe it was being accessed on the network so I removed the ethernet cable and rebooted. Same problem.

Also, after running for various lengths of time it will ocassionaly freeze up. This typically is when watching a show and recording it at the same time. For example...

Was recording CSI the other night and the recording was about 30 minutes ahead. About 1/2 way through it kicked me back to "now showing". I played it again and only 1/2 the show was there. I went to live TV and rewound to the last part it had. While rewinding it stopped letting me use the remote. I let it run and it finished rewinding, played (with a few skips) but the remote did not work and the time bar on screen never went away and showed it as still rewinding from the end. Basically everything but raw playback was frozen. I rebooted the machine and the 1/2 show was still saved, but this is getting odd. The skips occur in almost every show's playback adn the freezes seem to happen about once every 1-3 weeks. ANyone have any ideas on whats wrong? I thought it coudl be the hard drive starting to flake out a bit but am not really sure. Thanks.

eastwind
02-21-2004, 05:51 PM
What hacks are running all the time?
What version of TiVo software?

mediamacros
02-22-2004, 05:36 PM
What hacks are running all the time?
What version of TiVo software?
Tivo Web, Ty Studio, and basic Telnet. Nothing fancy. No change in some time. Newest version of hte software, but I will have to check the exact version. I let it update it self as needed. I found one post that mentioned hard drive problems. Does this sound like a possible issue or more of a M-board or software problem?

eastwind
02-25-2004, 09:38 PM
could be HD. I have an old episode of Twilight Zone that I'll never erase because it stutters and I've thought all along that it was a bad spot on the disk.

ew