PDA

View Full Version : Telnet/FTP Bash access locks up and dies...

ambitiousnovice
02-23-2004, 01:35 AM
Facts first;

3 xp pcs and 2 tivos networked, both 3.0 ; 1 Philips 312-3 behind linksys switch the other (312-2) directly behind linksys router (bef41). Both with cachecards, (128 meg in 312-3 other empty) both cards seem to work fine.

I was having problems with my home network setup for dsl modem and router, (both function as routers) and TIVOs weren't showing up in dhCP properly. (either none, 1 or two showing at various times). Up to that point, I could get access to either tivo and started doing tytools and stuff with the 312-3 just deducing which nameless router connection was to which tivo. tivoweb worked on both.

I got tired of the net cables laying all over house, so I re-wired everything into the walls, and tried to name tivos and setup my router/dsl to play nice together. Since many new events occurred at same time, (including a city-wide full power outgage during the night) I am having trouble trouble-shooting all scenarios/changes to isolate the new problem.

Now I find that I started losing telenet and ftp connectivity to both tivos. I actually named (the one behind switch). I can get a bash prompt then it freezes and is unresponsive to input. Tried Ftp and it works for one or two lines of input than hangs. Tried pinging and it works for one session, then unresponsive in next session. Reboot tivo and everthing will work just fine for just one or two entries per session then it locks up again! Tivoweb works but only after waiting a few minutes after telnet session failure.

I would question my cabling or setup, but all pc's hooked either behind switch or directly off router all have good access to internet, so I didn't think it is the cables I dropped, I am using same cables that worked before, so I didn't swap cables to test my wiring. (could sporadic effects be from a poorly stripped wire on one of the cables?) Both tivos can update schedules. I dont know if the one behind switch can do it on its own yet, but it can if I force a call.

I would really appreciate if someone could post the debugging commands, log printout commands etc that would help me isolate the problem(s), and any troubleshooting advice or experience is certainly welcomed, since I am lost with its "work for a couple lines" nature.

I am basically only a linux monkey, so step by step would be helpful, but i am willing to do the research to figure it out, if your all busy and dont have the patience. I can to do backdoors, but the TV logs don't seem to tell me much that I looking for, or that I can decipher.

Is the HWaddr 00:0B:AD:01:23:45 the mac address? (BOTH UNITS SEEM TO SHOW SAME HWaddr 00:0B:AD:01:23:45 !)

Is the " * " under gateway right?
process log for TiVoLR below attached...

bash-2.02# ifconfig
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Bcast:127.255.255.255 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:3584 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0B:AD:01:23:45
inet addr:192.168.1.103 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:156 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:81 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0
Interrupt:29

bash-2.02# route
route_info, afname=inet, options=33
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
default 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
bash-2.02#

Thanks!

Ric

BubbleLamp
02-23-2004, 01:48 AM
Is the HWaddr 00:0B:AD:01:23:45 the mac address? (BOTH UNITS SEEM TO SHOW SAME HWaddr 00:0B:AD:01:23:45 !)

This is your problem. You cannot have two devices on any network with the same MAC address. You need to change one of the Tivo's addresses. The address is assigned in the driver loading line. It will look something like this:

insmod -f /lib/modules/ax88796.o macaddr=012345 timing=5

ambitiousnovice
02-23-2004, 02:05 AM
K! Now to determine which unit has the real address, or which is copied, or doesn't it matter?

Thanks!

Ric

BubbleLamp
02-23-2004, 02:28 AM
K! Now to determine which unit has the real address, or which is copied, or doesn't it matter?

Thanks!

Ric
Doesn't matter, just make it different. Change just one number if you want.

ambitiousnovice
02-23-2004, 01:57 PM
I should know better than messing with this at 3 am...

Was trying to update cachecard with silicondust native install late last night to maybe solve a memory card problem and forgot that I had used ptvupgrade code which changes rc.net etc...

Anyway missed that so jafa's upgrade over wrote stuff ptvupgrade needs inserted into rc.sysinit etc to work, so now my tivo will not boot up, just does cache card, almost there then nothing....

Got tivo drive in pc, booting from linux disk, how do I mount the tivo drive to edit files?

Tried backup up but I must be missing something there to as it was a 160 mg hd replacement and mfstools reports:

source drive size is 30 hours
-upgraded to 147 hours
backup image will be 30 hours
uncompressed backup size 816 megabytes

This right?

Anyway if I can get into the tivo drive to edit rc.sysinit and rc.net I should be ok (like I would from bash) but I have no idea how to accomplish this...

Thanks!

ambitiousnovice
02-24-2004, 12:50 AM
thanks for the help, and to ptvupgrade's bootable iso, I got my baby back up running.

Ric

jhatfield
03-11-2004, 12:23 AM
I've had the worst problems with telnet and ftp ever since I plugged the second tivo in. It worked great at first. I could maintain a sesson for as long as I wanted. Then I had no end of problems. I'd get cut off everytime I tried to do anything. I didn't realize that the problem started when I plugged the second tivo into the network, until I read this. THANKS GUYS :D

you know I tried to get help over at the other forum, and didn't get any response :(

propman07
12-22-2004, 08:34 PM
Yahtzee!

The macaddr can be found in the rc.net file, located at /etc/rc.d

I had the same problem (two DTivos on same network), and I noticed that both Telnet and FTP were dropping out and disconnecting me. I changed the last two digits in one of the rc.net files, and all is good.

Thanks.