PDA

View Full Version : The new server is in.

Vadim
02-29-2004, 06:35 PM
How is the speed? Response time? Loads faster?

JJBliss
02-29-2004, 06:41 PM
Pretty friggin fast, bud !!!!

Lightning fast searches, and instantaneous load.

Very cool. Now as long as it wasn't an actual software bug that kept bringing it down, we're going to be OK again, it seems.

Thanks
JJ

Vadim
02-29-2004, 06:43 PM
Well if it was any software bug, this server had every latest release installed and mysql configured with a help of vbulletin technician, he configures all of vbulletin.com mysqld servers.

vu2vu
02-29-2004, 08:20 PM
It feels faster, but the real test will come tommorrow around 9 am PST.

Zhacker
02-29-2004, 09:26 PM
I LIKE IT!! Looks and feels much faster...Thank you all who donated!

David Bought
03-01-2004, 12:08 PM
How is the speed? Response time? Loads faster?

So when are you going to fix the custom user titles and change the avatar size limit like you promised?

Vadim
03-01-2004, 01:51 PM
So when are you going to fix the custom user titles and change the avatar size limit like you promised?

It's funny, you quoted my original post but instead of answering the question you quoted you asked a completely different question. I should just ask you a question instead but instead I will be nice and answer it indirectly, It's not on my priority list now, different things are.

What you think?

David Bought
03-01-2004, 02:32 PM
It's funny, you quoted my original post but instead of answering the question you quoted you asked a completely different question. I should just ask you a question instead but instead I will be nice and answer it indirectly, It's not on my priority list now, different things are.

What you think?

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question. Here is the answer:

The board feels exactly the same as it did before the upgrade. I can't tell the difference. I hope the outages stop though, otherwise you will be getting a lot of nasty emails from "donors" who feel they are entitled to a certain level of service. It will make the David Bought problem seem miniscule by comparison. :D

Vadim
03-01-2004, 02:38 PM
well I changed avatar size to 100x100! try running a search it's a million times faster

splitsec
03-01-2004, 02:40 PM
I find the site to be snappier than before. Lets hope it has taken the outages as well.

Split

cali
03-01-2004, 02:42 PM
well I changed avatar size to 100x100! try running a search it's a million times faster

David doesnt search....only us peons do!
So far no complaints here.

RUBiK
03-01-2004, 03:32 PM
I too notice that the board is a bit "faster" during normal browsing, although (except for a couple "New Posts" searches) I haven't done extensive searches or anything, but I agree with the earlier posts (if the server doesn't die as often as it used to, it's going to be awesome)

Regarding teh avatar "issue", is there a discussion as to reason for bumping that (back?) up and is there an actual reason for doing so other than me being able to see a bigger toilet, or.... ? Just curious, that's all; not b!tching...

(Yes, I am fully aware that display of avatars can be turned off under my CP and plan on doing so here soon since avatars are useless -- to me -- in general)

Vadim
03-01-2004, 03:43 PM
I too notice that the board is a bit "faster" during normal browsing, although (except for a couple "New Posts" searches) I haven't done extensive searches or anything, but I agree with the earlier posts (if the server doesn't die as often as it used to, it's going to be awesome)

Regarding teh avatar "issue", is there a discussion as to reason for bumping that (back?) up and is there an actual reason for doing so other than me being able to see a bigger toilet, or.... ? Just curious, that's all; not b!tching...

(Yes, I am fully aware that display of avatars can be turned off under my CP and plan on doing so here soon since avatars are useless -- to me -- in general)
HAHAHAHA! I said the exact same thing like one month back! Bigger toilet! Haha. I don't know. People want it, let them have it.

RUBiK
03-01-2004, 03:47 PM
HAHAHAHA! I said the exact same thing like one month back! Bigger toilet! Haha. I don't know. People want it, let them have it.

In retrospect, LOL... :D

As for the actual change, I don't really care either way so I don't have a problem with any change, etc... Was just curious what old discussion I may have missed on the subject but hadn't searched yet..

Have a good one..

JJBliss
03-01-2004, 04:05 PM
The board feels exactly the same as it did before the upgrade. I can't tell the difference. I hope the outages stop though, otherwise you will be getting a lot of nasty emails from "donors" who feel they are entitled to a certain level of service. It will make the David Bought problem seem miniscule by comparison. :D

David, there may be a bottneck on your side then, since those of us with higher speed connections and more powerful equipment notice a significant improvement in speed. If you are experiencing slow screen draws, or painfully slow interet browsing, you may want to consider saving up some money for a faster computer, more RAM, or a faster internet connection, as it will help you enjoy the hobby.

So far, the outages have stopped, or at least dimished to where they are at an acceptable level.

It would seem that the "David Bought" problem, is already miniscule.

David Bought
03-01-2004, 04:10 PM

Thanks Vadim. Now can you please turn back on custom user titles?

I will assure you that my next avatar will not be a larger toilet. :D

Vadim
03-01-2004, 04:25 PM
Oh Yes,
The server is running very high on available resources unlike the other one that just kept caching and swapping.

Compare.
Dual Xeon (2x - 2.8ghz) to Pentium III 1ghz
2gb of PC2100 ECC Registered Ram to 256mb of unbuffered PC100.
Ultra SCSI 320 36gb 10k RPM (raid too) drives to 5400rpm EIDE drive..
Completely fresh install of linux, kernel, all libraries, apache, php and mysql.
mysql (my.cnf) made by vbulletin team.

We should be good and very stable.

Vadim
03-01-2004, 04:38 PM
David, there may be a bottneck on your side then, since those of us with higher speed connections and more powerful equipment notice a significant improvement in speed. If you are experiencing slow screen draws, or painfully slow interet browsing, you may want to consider saving up some money for a faster computer, more RAM, or a faster internet connection, as it will help you enjoy the hobby.

So far, the outages have stopped, or at least dimished to where they are at an acceptable level.

It would seem that the "David Bought" problem, is already miniscule.

I'd like to hear about the outrages you said you experienced. When? Don't tell me if it was in the next 5 minutes after the server went up yesterday, because I was re-routing the cables in the rack.

JJBliss
03-01-2004, 05:00 PM
I'd like to hear about the outrages you said you experienced. When? Don't tell me if it was in the next 5 minutes after the server went up yesterday, because I was re-routing the cables in the rack.

What outrages?!! Who was outraged!?!?

mrblack51
03-01-2004, 05:28 PM
What outrages?!! Who was outraged!?!?

assuming he meant outages

JJBliss
03-01-2004, 05:34 PM
assuming he meant outages

ooooohhhhhhh........ :p

no no no no..... I see what Vadim was reffering to now.

When I said:

...the outages have stopped, or at least dimished to where they are at an acceptable level

I was indicating that the performance has improved and things are quite stable. The "diminished" portion of that quote is addressing the fact that there will invariably be downtime, though not as debilitating as it has been, not that there were any as of yet. Sorry for the confusion.

Vadim
03-01-2004, 09:29 PM
hahahahah
that's funny how few letters change the whole meaning. LOL
Ok.. as long as we are on the same page, I'm happy.

rc3105
03-02-2004, 09:51 PM
I'm not getting notification e-mail for some subscribed threads (including this one!)

not anything new, just thought I should mention it what with the new server 'n all...

Vadim
03-03-2004, 11:29 AM
Guranteed it's your spam filter not letting them in, I'm getting mine. I think we located the problem, it has to do with reverse dns. Apparently some mail servers try to reverse the ip back and server's ip is not in DNS reverse zone. I'll be working on this ASAP.
Thanks
- Vadim

Sleeper
03-14-2004, 01:57 AM

The avatar size is too large as is demonstrated by "necromancer"

Also, the signatures are getting out of hand.

When I read posts, I am interested in the content.

The large signature and avatar just waste screen space. Especailly after you have seen them a million times.

fixn278
03-14-2004, 02:06 AM
The avatar size is too large as is demonstrated by "necromancer"

Also, the signatures are getting out of hand.

When I read posts, I am interested in the content.

The large signature and avatar just waste screen space. Especailly after you have seen them a million times.

Go to your user Control Panel, select Edit Options and uncheck Show Signatures and Show Avatars.

Sleeper
03-14-2004, 02:50 AM
Go to your user Control Panel, select Edit Options and uncheck Show Signatures and Show Avatars.

Thanks, I know about those options. What I don't see is the option to suppress ridiculously large avatars and signatures.

Normal ones are OK, such as yours which takes up no more screen space than mine.

fixn278
03-14-2004, 02:54 AM
Thanks, I know about those options. What I don't see is the option to suppress ridiculously large avatars and signatures.

Hmm.... a "suppress ridiculously large avatars and signatures" button?

I'm not quite sure how one would code for such an option.

Sleeper
03-14-2004, 02:20 PM
I'm not quite sure how one would code for such an option.

Exactly. That is why until someone comes up with the enhancement, the size should be limited to something "reasonable".

David Bought
03-14-2004, 05:29 PM
Exactly. That is why until someone comes up with the enhancement, the size should be limited to something "reasonable".

WRONG, my avatar size should not be limited because you are too lazy to turn off avatars or filter them on the client side.

BubbleLamp
03-14-2004, 05:51 PM
WRONG, my avatar size should not be limited because you are too lazy to turn off avatars or filter them on the client side.
You're right. Your avatar and you should both be flushed down your little ivory throne. :D

David Bought
03-14-2004, 05:56 PM
You're right. Your avatar and you should both be flushed down your little ivory throne. :D

Better? :D

almontebarnes
03-14-2004, 06:58 PM
Better? :D

Avatar theft is strictly prohibited. You're in danger of being banned.

THREAD CLOSED

Sleeper
03-14-2004, 07:14 PM
Hey DB,

What's is that stuff that your avatar is smoking?

amgqmp1
03-19-2004, 04:26 PM
Looks like it's smoking my co...

...oh hey, I'm in the "is the server faster" thread.

Vadim, it works great! It is definitely snappier...and...as a vbulletin admin myself...I'm watching for the final release of vBulletin 3.0.0 (due out today!). Then the server should be even better...

...also, I don't think I've ever noticed outages on this board...maybe once or twice, but, it's never been down when I needed it to be up. ;) ;)

Congrats on the new server! I don't think the money I sent made much of a difference (maybe I bought the floppy drive). ;)