PDA

View Full Version : Really Dumb Question

necromancer
03-07-2004, 06:26 PM
As the title sais... really quick stupid question....
... has anybody else had sleepers tivoscripts NOT give a default menu upon booting?

I burned the iso and then boot with it. I get to a normal unix prompt and can 'ls' through the directories and such, but I do not know what script to start to run.

In the Thread that tells how to use sleepers it says the menu will be shown on booting, but the only menu I got was asking if I wanted to use DMA, byteswapping..... I just hit enter for the default.

captain_video
03-07-2004, 06:29 PM
You'll always get the initial prompt asking how you want to run the Linux program with any of the currently available Linux boot CD images. Hitting Enter at the first prompt is the default option. You should see a lot of info scroll by and then be presented with a list of options for running the tivoscript program. If you're not getting this then you may have a bad image or you possibly burned something other than Sleeper's tivoscript.iso image.

necromancer
03-07-2004, 06:39 PM
You'll always get the initial prompt asking how you want to run the Linux program with any of the currently available Linux boot CD images. Hitting Enter at the first prompt is the default option. You should see a lot of info scroll by and then be presented with a list of options for running the tivoscript program. If you're not getting this then you may have a bad image or you possibly burned something other than Sleeper's tivoscript.iso image.

Just to be sure I burned the file called "tivoscripts1_02.iso"

if this is correct i will try burning it again

PlainBill
03-07-2004, 07:43 PM
Just to be sure I burned the file called "tivoscripts1_02.iso"

if this is correct i will try burning it again

That's the correct file. Thanks for coming up with something unique and interesting. :)

PlainBill

necromancer
03-07-2004, 07:49 PM
That's the correct file. Thanks for coming up with something unique and interesting. :)

PlainBill

Well actually I remembered reading something about somebody else having trouble when they used Nero so i re-burned with cdr-win and it was fine (menu showed up)....
but now I again get to be a dumbass (i am really sorry) and ask about my second hard drive.

I planned on "restoring" onto a brand new 160GB drive (i know it wont all be seen but it was cheaper this week than buying the smaller drive).

Well monte got to the restoration phase and said it can't acces the target b drive. I used it BRAND SPANKING NEW out of the box... should a use partition magic or something and partition/format the drive first?

SR712
03-07-2004, 08:01 PM
Be doubly sure your jumpers are set correctly for Slave on the new restore-to drive.

<edit> sorry. This should be Sec/Master.

necromancer
03-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Be doubly sure your jumpers are set correctly for Slave on the new restore-to drive.

I thought it was supposed to be secondary master... i am going to have to go re-read

re-reading i found

To use them you download the ISO, burn the disk and boot from it. You must install a FAT32 drive as Primary Master, a bootable CD drive as Primary Slave and the Tivo drive as Secondary Master.

That is the way I have my drives set up or i thought the backup would have failed

PlainBill
03-07-2004, 08:11 PM
I thought it was supposed to be secondary master... i am going to have to go re-read

It IS supposed to be secondary master. Double check your cables. My favorite trick is to do a poor job of hooking up a cable. Does your BIOS see the drive?

PlainBill

necromancer
03-07-2004, 08:13 PM
It IS supposed to be secondary master. Double check your cables. My favorite trick is to do a poor job of hooking up a cable. Does your BIOS see the drive?

PlainBill

My bios see's it as the secondary master...... why do i always have to be different :p

necromancer
03-07-2004, 08:16 PM
Should I create partition the drive?

necromancer
03-07-2004, 09:22 PM
Maybe this will help shed some light on the problem (i sure hope so)
I have the origional 40hr drive and made a backup.
I then swap the drives and try to restore to a 160GB seagate for a backup.
it told me if the drive is too small get rid of the -s 127 ... well 160 is much larger than 40 so i wasn't worried...
I noticed in the command to restore it was going to /dev/hdc /dev/hdd

I thought maybe that is a problem because my /dev/hdd is a cdrom... so i hit alt+f2 and tried to run it manual:
mfsrestore -s 127 -zpi /cdrive/tivo/tivo#date#time.mfs /dev/hdc

It then said it failed because the target drive is not large enough.... this confuses me greatly because though I dislike math alot, i WAS pretty sure that 160>40 ... any thoughts/suggestions/tauntings/cyanide pills

thanks in advance.

PlainBill
03-07-2004, 09:50 PM
Maybe this will help shed some light on the problem (i sure hope so)
I have the origional 40hr drive and made a backup.
I then swap the drives and try to restore to a 160GB seagate for a backup.
it told me if the drive is too small get rid of the -s 127 ... well 160 is much larger than 40 so i wasn't worried...
I noticed in the command to restore it was going to /dev/hdc /dev/hdd

I thought maybe that is a problem because my /dev/hdd is a cdrom... so i hit alt+f2 and tried to run it manual:
mfsrestore -s 127 -zpi /cdrive/tivo/tivo#date#time.mfs /dev/hdc

It then said it failed because the target drive is not large enough.... this confuses me greatly because though I dislike math alot, i WAS pretty sure that 160>40 ... any thoughts/suggestions/tauntings/cyanide pills

thanks in advance.

This sounds like a 'wrap' problem. The most significant bit of one of the drive parameters is being dropped. As a result it's being recognised as about a 10 Gig drive.

Suggestions: Try another Linux CD. If you hit Alt - Page-Up you can scroll back through the console output and may get a clue where things are going bad. Try another computer - is the BIOS reporting the size properly? Try using the utility disk from the drive manufacturer to reduce the size of the drive.

And take solace in this thought - You learn very little when things go right. It's when things go wrong that you learn.

PlainBill

necromancer
03-07-2004, 10:02 PM
This sounds like a 'wrap' problem. The most significant bit of one of the drive parameters is being dropped. As a result it's being recognised as about a 10 Gig drive.

Suggestions: Try another Linux CD. If you hit Alt - Page-Up you can scroll back through the console output and may get a clue where things are going bad. Try another computer - is the BIOS reporting the size properly? Try using the utility disk from the drive manufacturer to reduce the size of the drive.

And take solace in this thought - You learn very little when things go right. It's when things go wrong that you learn.

PlainBill

OK... problem kinda found.
I used the seagate disk and looked at the "disk size". it is supposed to let you make the drive report any size you want. well it's recomended "reported size" is full (all it's sectors)... but it sais it's CURRENT reported sectors is "660055244" sectors. I will try to make it report less of them... and if that doesn't work I will tell it to zero the drive out tonight.

My bios see's the drive but it doesn't report drive sizes... it just sees the ST#### drive. I'll also try the alt+pgup thing.

Thanks for all the help.

necromancer
03-07-2004, 10:25 PM
Well after I LOOKED at the drive with the factory disk (and partition magic 7) and could see no error I tried again.

I didnt get the message about drive size..... ok nice.
...still failed to back up on sleeper's script... it was trying to do the restore /hdc and /hdd again... but when I alt+f2 (alt+pgup did nothing for me by the way) and did it by hand (only to /hdc) it is now currently unpacking the image!

Thanks for the help....
... another question from reading the post a few below this one.... after I run this am I going to need to replace fixsub right away to prevent the download and pending restart problem?

rpl
03-07-2004, 11:12 PM
I just answered that thread. Fixsub does not do anything to stop a update from occurring. It only gets rid of a nag message if you have not made a call in. If you call in and its your turn to get an update, it will be downloaded to your tivo.

Also if your not going to do the LBA48 hack I would run the manufacture configure on the HD and only use 137Gigs of that 160Gig HD. There were some older posts of people reporting errors when the Tivo tried to exceed that 137Gig barrier

necromancer
03-07-2004, 11:16 PM
Thanks. I restored the backup to the bigger drive, but stopped before the hackig phase because I didn't know If i was going to have a problem.

Thanks to help I've gotten I know the core scripts (Monte, bash, ftp, and telnet) are still up to date on sleeper's iso... are there any other hacks I should IMEDIATLY upgrade in anybody's opinion?