PDA

View Full Version : Chattr on DBD and Tivo Boot CD

chipster
08-18-2001, 10:34 PM
Place these files on a floppy - DOS or Linux. If DOS, remember to mount with the vfat option - example using DBD:

mkdir /mnt/floppy

mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

cp /mnt/floppy/chattr /bin

cp /mnt/floppy/lib* /lib

Chattr is now available

Subtle difference for the latest boot CD:

mkdir /mnt/floppy

mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

cp /mnt/floppy/chattr /bin

cp /mnt/floppy/libe2p* /lib #note the difference here

Glitched
08-23-2001, 11:12 AM
just thought i would add (since no one else replied) works great!!!! (as im sure you knew ;) ) saved me a few headaches thanks alot!!!

chipster
08-23-2001, 10:21 PM
Many of us are doing our testing and editing via the DTivo serial port. You need joe and chattr compiled for the Tivo. Using the DBD or boot CD, create a /devbin directory (or just place the files in /bin).

Doesn't hurt to setup a Linux box either - as I have done just to learn this op system.

Now if I could figure out how to recompile my kernel with the Tivo byte-swap support - and keep the support for all my other attached devices - that would be sweet. I understand that compiling a kernel is somewhat... involved.

Note that the chattr on my previous zip is compiled for x86 - so it won't run on the Tivo.

You can find joe for Tivo at:

http://pvrhack.sonnik.com/tivo/joe.asp

You'll need to ungz/tar this.... ZipMagic can do it...

Chattr (as well as lsattr) for Tivo at:

http://tivo.samba.org/download/sorphin/

IE may save this with a .txt extension. Delete the extension - save as "chattr".

Be sure to chmod and chattr these after you put them on the Tivo drive. Also chattr the /devbin directory entry.

Another trick - and dangerous timesaver - is hot swap the drive on th PC. But I don't recommend it - just for the very brave.

When you find that you forgot to chattr that last edit and lose the file on Tivo reboot ....

On your PC, unmount the drive - detach the power cable, then the IDE cable - leaving DBD booted up.

Place on Tivo and boot the Tivo. Do not remove the drive from Tivo with power applied. But you can put it back on the DBD-booted PC - IDE cable first then power - then mount the drive.

I did this for a while to avoid always rebooting DBD and copying chattr. Then one time I managed to short 12V to ground while attaching power to the drive (damn cheesy power connectors) - thought I blew everything. After changing my underwear, I found that I had only blown the fuse in the main PS - everything else was (apparently) fine. I was lucky. I don't do this anymore.....