PDA

View Full Version : Digital VCR - Help!

jacob
08-20-2001, 08:39 AM
OK - Here's what I need to do. I just purchased a new TiVo (don't even know which version of software that is on it), and I want to use it as a digital VCR - no subscription, no phone line. But, with a twist. I think that most of you that are doing this have only set up a single "channel" that you use to record from. But, I'd like to enter the entire DirecTV lineup into the TiVo (Guided Setup?) so that I can use the Manual Recording feature to change the channel on my DirecTV receiver when it need to record. Obviously there won't be any guide data, but at least I don't have to worry about keeping the DirecTV receiver on a specific channel in order for it record the program that I want. Make sense?

Can you folks help?

First off, I've read every single message on this forum, and have a pretty descent understanding of most of the scriupts that I need. But, I still have a few questions.

I know about the fixup and ServiceState hacks. This will stop the unit from bitching about lack of subscription data, and lack of a valid account. But;

- Do I have to subscribe the unit for a single month, have the TiVo call in to do the Guided Setup and set the clock, then never call in again?

- Do I not need the Guided Setup at all, and just set the channel database myself?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...

TiVo_Canada
08-20-2001, 08:06 PM
I don't know how usable TiVo is without the Guided setup.

You are probably at software v1.3 but if you make just one call duing the guided setup you will be upgraded to v2.0.1. If you are prepared to get a bash shell prompt and use the fixup.tcl script then you will be able to use it as a Digital VCR with no subscription.

I'm sticking at v1.3 with no subscription. When I did my Guided setup it didn't do the software upgrade until the 3rd call. I have read that they now do it on the first call. In any case, I've never made that 3rd call.

You might want to post your question on the AVS forum where it gets more traffic and you might get more replies.

http://www.avsforum.com/ubbcgitivo/Ultimate.cgi

jacob
08-21-2001, 07:48 AM
You're right - the drive has 1.3 on it (I connected it to my PC and checked the files).

So, I need to do the following, correct?

- Run Guided Setup and have it call in, where it will set the clock, upgrade the software to 2.01 and download my station lineup.

- Unplug the unit from the phone line, get to a BASH prompt, and run the fixup.tcl script.

Thanks, again.