PDA

View Full Version : Another decompression error...

ROCKSTEADY
03-22-2004, 12:59 AM
Ok, so here is another member with this infamous problem. I have read, read and read some more, but I have not found a consistent answer. So here I am asking for some opinions and help. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have a Hughes GXCEBOT 40gig that I am trying to upgrade to a Western Digital WD800BB 80GB drive.

I have a 25xtreme .iso image that I downloaded from a specific website today and I burned it onto a cd at 4x speed. When trying to put the image onto the drive, the restore fails at 99%. Now I know that I have read that the image could still work, but I also have read that it is not a good idea to use it, because it could give you problems down the line. Well, even if I wanted to use it, I couldn't. When I put the drive back into the unit, the TIVO just goes through that "welcome powering up" loop and does not boot.

I put in the original drive and it boots fine, so I do know the TIVO is not defective. I am going to assume it is the image. I have tried reburning the image onto different brand media and at an even slower speed. Still nothing.

Maybe I need new image....Where can I find another image? That is the million dollar question. Also, if it is not, then what could it be?

Also, between subsequent installations, I did reformat the drive. Not sure if that would of helped or not...

Let me know what you guys think...thanks.

captain_video
03-22-2004, 09:35 AM
Formatting the drive is completely unnecessary. There are several different options you could try.

1. Try downloading the image again.
2. Try burning the image with a different software program.
3. Try using a different CD-ROM drive to boot from.
4. Try a different PC.

Any one of the above could be a cause of your decompression error but #1 or #2 should fix it. If not, try #3 and/or #4.

ROCKSTEADY
03-22-2004, 10:18 AM
Cool. I checked the drive with its utility disk and the drive checked out fine. No errors.

I downloaded the image again, last night, and I will try to burn it again tonight and see what happens. I am using Nero, so I guess I might try soemthing else. ANy suggestions?

Thanks CV!

captain_video
03-22-2004, 10:44 AM
As long as you selected the Burn image option from the File menu then Nero should work fine. There are other programs that work better than others for burning CD images like Fireburner, DiskJuggler, or CDRWin (the Goldenhawk version) so you might want to look into one of them.

rc3105
03-22-2004, 11:14 AM
recently had a similiar "decompression error" problem. turns out the cpu was going bad. lowering the clock speed solved the problem. apparently the linux/mfstool combination is EXTREMELY (pun intended) sensitive to system problems :eek:

that box (PII-400) has been rock solid for a couple of years. lil bro overclocked it 12% a few weeks ago & that fried the L2 cache, now it's only stable at 75% of original rated speed

overclockers beware!

edit: 98/xp was perfectly happy at 448 mhz, we attributed the ocassional crash to windows problems. indeed, it's no more stable at 300 than 400, but that's not terribly suprising. knoppix & some diagnostic utils verified the L2 cache flakes above 333 now

ROCKSTEADY
03-22-2004, 11:54 AM
Nah, I do not think it is my rig at all. I am not over clocked and everything is working fine.

I have burned some of these TIVO images before and have had no problem.

I will keep you all updated and see what happens.

I am also going to try to burn the image at a friends house and see what happens. So if I am trying to put this image on the drive for like the 5th time, you are sure I do not have to reformat the drive...right?

Thanks for all the help guys.

captain_video
03-22-2004, 12:06 PM
I've been running a Celeron 300A overclocked to 450MHz for about 5 or 6 years and it's never skipped a beat. I had another one that died in less than a year so overclocking is definitely a hit or miss situation. FWIW the Celeron 300A used the exact same core as the 450 and the ones made in the Malaysia facility were supposed to be excellent candidates for overclocking. As it turns out, one was and one wasn't. :rolleyes:

ROCKSTEADY
03-22-2004, 01:13 PM
I am an AMD man myself. I roll my own. I am running Windows 2000, RASPPPOE, MSI video card and various other amenities. I doubt it is my cmputer.

I've been running a Celeron 300A overclocked to 450MHz for about 5 or 6 years and it's never skipped a beat. I had another one that died in less than a year so overclocking is definitely a hit or miss situation. FWIW the Celeron 300A used the exact same core as the 450 and the ones made in the Malaysia facility were supposed to be excellent candidates for overclocking. As it turns out, one was and one wasn't. :rolleyes:

captain_video
03-22-2004, 02:39 PM
I use an AMD XP 1600+ in my main PC and I've always had problems using it with Linux boot CDs. Older and slower PCs seem to like them much better.

rc3105
03-22-2004, 03:15 PM
the 'ol PII is generally a print/ics/firewall server. the main machine is a XP-512k Barton 2500+ that's got a peltier cooler & been overclocked to actually run at 2500. it scoots niiiiiiiice

edit: went though a few to find this one. most of the others topped out at 2300-2400

malfunct
03-22-2004, 08:53 PM
the 'ol PII is generally a print/ics/firewall server. the main machine is a XP-512k Barton 2500+ that's got a peltier cooler & been overclocked to actually run at 2500. it scoots niiiiiiiice

edit: went though a few to find this one. most of the others topped out at 2300-2400

My current system is a dual athlon mp 1900+ and I won't roll my own again. I'm just tired of dealing with little issues (mostly my wife complaining that stuff crashes) and would love to have someone to yell at other than myself. The computer works great, had a memory stick fail and the dvd burner is getting sketchy, but the little issues that show up all the time are making me mad. For instance I will never buy another creative product in my life, the audigy drivers are pure crap, at least on my dually athlon. Also my video capture card has trouble on the dually processor (definitely a problem with dual processors too, I load up the single proc hal on my machine and it works like a charm). Oh well, such is life on the cutting edge.

captain_video
03-22-2004, 10:25 PM
I'll never buy a prepackaged PC again. I've gone though several "cookie cutter" PCs that turned out to be absolute crap, although I'd probably consider buying a Dell or other brand that still allows upgradeability, unlike a lot of HPs and virtually all Compaqs. I've also had just about every type of PC problem known to man (I never used to upgrade only one thing at a time so I was just asking for it anyway). I reinstalled Windows 95 so may times on one machine that I had the CD key memorized! A lot of that had to do with buying bargain basement components and not going with the good stuff. Now I stick with mainboards and other components recommended by Tom's Hardware Guide and similar sites. I don't get into the performance side of things like I used to because I couldn't really tell the difference anyway. I just like something that's steady and reliable with a decent amount of zip. Kind of like a good comfortable car that still has a passing gear. :D

rc3105
03-23-2004, 11:51 PM
malfunct:

doesn't matter whether it's shrinkwrapped or roll your own, if you install sw by more than one author / company you're going to have problems from time to time

course, a great big Dell/Compaq/IBM/bubba's bait shop & computer emporium ;) sticker on the front does provide a good scapegoat for the technology-challenged

captain_video
03-24-2004, 09:49 AM
Amen to that.

ROCKSTEADY
03-31-2004, 01:36 AM
Ok, Captain, I have tried everything. I have burned the image using different computers and I cannot put the image on a drive without getting a decompression error.

Are we 100% sure that the image of that site is not corrupted?

Is there anyone else on this board that can PM me with a 25xtreme image. I am using it in a SATT60 and need to use an HU card...

Does SNoppy's image allow for the HU????

leon phelps
03-31-2004, 01:41 AM
Buddy,

This is a known problem of the software. If you get over 90% and then decompression failure, it is linked to the last part of the process. You can still use the drive....just do this type '/maddtb4/setupcd.sh' and follow directions. You will be fine.

Dont talk about using that type of card or you will get timeout. The Rude Janitor will be all over you too.

I had similar problem with using a CD-RW to image with.

Good luck

ROCKSTEADY
03-31-2004, 02:00 AM
So I should try typing that after the error comes up...

I guess I would hit enter and the prompt would come up?

leon phelps
03-31-2004, 02:27 AM
correct..after the error....then follow prompts....

you will need to upgrade to 3.1 after that.....

PM me with any questions.

ROCKSTEADY
03-31-2004, 09:36 AM
Question. Why do I need to upgrade to 3.1? I just want to upgrade to 2.52.

Let me know...thanks, Leon.

captain_video
03-31-2004, 09:38 AM
Upgrading to 2.5.2 is fine.

ROCKSTEADY
03-31-2004, 10:02 AM
Thanks, Mr. Ahab...

How has everything been with you?

leon phelps
03-31-2004, 11:49 AM
3.1 will let you change channels faster. I like it better, you can form your own opinion.

ROCKSTEADY
03-31-2004, 12:42 PM
Thanks leon...I really really appreciate the fast responses..

I will let both of you what happens tonight.

ROCKSTEADY
04-01-2004, 02:55 AM
Yahooooo!

Leon, it worked. Yes!

Now I have to upgrade to 2.5.2. Now the installation for this says I should not have to flash the prom. Is this true?

leon phelps
04-01-2004, 07:48 AM
no you dont have to flash the prom.

Read the xplusz commands. you will need to execute a few of them.

Happy Tivoing.

ROCKSTEADY
04-01-2004, 10:25 AM
Yeah, I am pretty familiar with the xpluz commands.

I think the contents of this thread are very important to other people that are having this same problem.

Maybe I should put some of the contents in a concise form and put it into the how to thread....

Thanks for everything leon.

leon phelps
04-01-2004, 02:42 PM
the instructions are on other sites, just not here.

ROCKSTEADY
04-01-2004, 03:26 PM
Interesting. I guess I did not have any luck finding the info.

I am grateful for what you told me though...thanks again.

ROCKSTEADY
04-02-2004, 10:36 AM
Ok, so I now have a problem....Here we go.

So the original 25xtreme installation was flawless. Everything worked fine. At the reboot, when the unit started acquiring satellite information, I pulled the plug, as per the instructions and started to do the 2.5.2 upgrade.

Again, everything went fine. Installation was flawless and I put the card iin and I watched TV for about 1/2 an hour.

At this point, I hooked up the serial cable and attempted to get bash through teraterm. I followed all the instructions to the tee.

I expected to get the familar bash prompt of "bash-2.02#."

Instead I saw something that looked like this: "/var/hack :" or something like that. I wasn't sure if this was the bash prompt or not. So I kept hitting "enter" to try to get the prompt, but nothing.

So I decided to type "exit" tos ee what would happen and at that point bash prompt went away and I was not able to get it again, until I rebooted the unit.

At this point, I got bash again (/var/hack: ) and I thought this was the prompt. So I did the "touch subtest" for lifetime subscription and at this point the unit turned off and rebooted. But it stayed at the "welcome powering up" screen and would nto do anything else. ??? I disconnected power for a few minutes, then reconnected. This time it got past "welcome powering up" but when it got to "this will take a few minutes" it froze, rebooted and then went into a reboot cycle every 30 seconds....welcome powering up every 30 seconds or so....

Any ideas, Captain or Leon? Did I do something wrong or mess up a file? I am willing to start from scratch again, if I have to....

1. Reformat drive
2. 25xtreme (Should lifetime be done during this phase or while in 2.5.2 software?)
3. 2.5.2 Upgrade

Let me know guys...any info would be cool.

leon phelps
04-02-2004, 11:23 AM
Hey,

Re-do the 25xtreme insructions....then boot the unit up and get tv.

After booting up in 2.5, power down the tivo.

The version 2.5.2 has the fixsub in it so you dont need to do it yet.

Take the drive out of the tivo now and put the 2.5.2 cd in the pc and boot fromm the cd....press return twice. Then type upgrd252.sh.....follow prompts...

follow instructions including the umount -f -a -r

put in then use xplusz for fixsub and other hacks....

good luck

ROCKSTEADY
04-02-2004, 12:43 PM
Maybe I am not getting something here, but I have read all the xplusz commands and do not see one for the fixsub, which I assume is the hack for lifetime subscription...right?

I was always under the impression that in order to get lifetime I needed to do the "touch subtest" and I could use the xplusz for nophone.

Let me know.

leon phelps
04-02-2004, 01:52 PM
I am pretty sure that 2.5.2 will have lifetime after you run nophone.

With 2.5.2 check in the system info. You do not need to do the touch command with 3.1, I know this for sure, so same should be true for 2.5.2.

Just do the 2.5 then the 2.5.2. It should get you there.

ROCKSTEADY
04-02-2004, 02:42 PM
Can anyone verify this "no phone" xplusz command, will activate the lifetime subscription?

ROCKSTEADY
04-04-2004, 12:01 AM
I am starting to believe that the unit I am working on is defective. I have tried everything and it just hangs up at the "welcome, powering up" screen. I think the board is bad in it.

I thought it was the drive, but I used the drive in a SATT60 I was upgrading and it works fine. Sigh.

I will keppy you guys updated.