PDA

View Full Version : Extraction/Scramble issue - HDVR2

webwide
03-25-2004, 09:50 AM
OK, I've read the extraction/scramble stickies but I still can't figure out if I'm on the right track or not. Here's the deal: I have successfully Sleepered my HDVR2 and upgraded to a 160GB hard drive. We had several movies/shows that were already on the drive. Of course those shows won't play on the TiVo now. I need to do one of the following with the pre-existing shows:

1) View the shows on the TiVo
2) Extract and copy the shows to VCD

I have already run the get_DC_key.tcl script and I am currently copying the TMF files over to my hard drive with MFS_FTP. It's taking forever and I'm not even sure it's necessary....

Any way, which of these is simpler/easier/quicker, #1 or #2?

captain_video
03-25-2004, 11:11 AM
You can replace the kmem script with the tivoapp patch to do both of these things. It won't allow you to extract the recordings made prior to installing the monte hack but it will let you watch them. Any recordings made after installing Sleeper's ISO will be extractable.

webwide
03-25-2004, 11:50 AM
You can replace the kmem script with the tivoapp patch to do both of these things. It won't allow you to extract the recordings made prior to installing the monte hack but it will let you watch them. Any recordings made after installing Sleeper's ISO will be extractable.

I assume you are referring to the tivoapp patch AlphaWolf posted?

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31213

Thanks for the answer. If I DO want to extract and descramble those prior recordings can tytools or MFS_FTP handle that?

captain_video
03-25-2004, 01:33 PM
Yes, I was referring to Alphawolf's tivoapp patch. I don't believe you can descramble the prior recordings other than to view them on the same Tivo they were recorded on. I believe you can extract them with mfs_ftp in tmf format and restore them to the same Tivo but I don't think you'll be able to process them on your PC.

webwide
03-25-2004, 02:02 PM
Yes, I was referring to Alphawolf's tivoapp patch. I don't believe you can descramble the prior recordings other than to view them on the same Tivo they were recorded on. I believe you can extract them with mfs_ftp in tmf format and restore them to the same Tivo but I don't think you'll be able to process them on your PC.

OK, I did the tivoapp patch and csoscout and all recent recordings are fine, but the pre-tivo-hack recordings won't play - is that what the mfs_ftp extract/restore is for, to make those pre-hack recordings playable again?

captain_video
03-25-2004, 02:08 PM
Install and run ciphercheck.tcl to ensure your CSO's have been nuked. It sounds like your older recordings still have their CSO's set which is why they won't play back. You need to make sure you have mfs_export located in one of the PATH directories or at least linked to one in order for csoscout or ciphercheck to work. You'll find mfs_export in the mfs_ftp directory.

webwide
03-25-2004, 02:13 PM
Install and run ciphercheck.tcl to ensure your CSO's have been nuked. It sounds like your older recordings still have their CSO's set which is why they won't play back. You need to make sure you have mfs_export located in one of the PATH directories or at least linked to one in order for csoscout or ciphercheck to work. You'll find mfs_export in the mfs_ftp directory.

Before csoscout all my CSO Set values were "Yes" - afterward some were set to "No" - the files appear to have run correctly, no error messages

captain_video
03-25-2004, 03:02 PM
After reviewing the info in Alphawolf's thread I'm now not so sure any of your previous encrypted recordings will play back. I've installed the tivoapp patch on several S2 DTivos but never with any encrypted recordings on the drive so I have no way of testing this to see if it works.

As for using csoscout, I believe you get two columns of yes's and No's. I believe they should both agree (i.e. both should indicate No as I recall) if the recording will play back or be extractable.

webwide
03-25-2004, 03:16 PM
After reviewing the info in Alphawolf's thread I'm now not so sure any of your previous encrypted recordings will play back. I've installed the tivoapp patch on several S2 DTivos but never with any encrypted recordings on the drive so I have no way of testing this to see if it works.

So the MFS_FTP extraction and restoration is necessary? Or will that even work?

As for using csoscout, I believe you get two columns of yes's and No's. I believe they should both agree (i.e. both should indicate No as I recall) if the recording will play back or be extractable.

Yes, the two columns now all agree with each other (see file attached to previous thread). Most are Yes - Yes, several are No - No - but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the date. Several pre-hack files are Yes - Yes but won't play on the TiVo...

captain_video
03-25-2004, 03:57 PM
After looking at the data you posted with regards to the CSO status I'm guessing that the ones marked No in both columns will play back whereas the ones marked Yes will not. Is this a correct assessment? The ones that are encrypted will not be extractable but I'm unsure as to whether they will play back on the Tivo. I'm still trying to sort out that part of the equation for myself.

webwide
03-25-2004, 05:21 PM
After looking at the data you posted with regards to the CSO status I'm guessing that the ones marked No in both columns will play back whereas the ones marked Yes will not. Is this a correct assessment? The ones that are encrypted will not be extractable but I'm unsure as to whether they will play back on the Tivo. I'm still trying to sort out that part of the equation for myself.

Actually, it is the reverse. The ones marked YES (encrypted) are all the files before I sleepered and upgraded. They still do not play. The ones marked NO were all recorded since then and they play just fine.

psxboy
03-25-2004, 05:31 PM
None of this sounds right to me...

Here's what I did with my SA S2 (should be the same for S2 DTiVo):
Get Monte going, telnet, ftp, etc. with Sleeper's ISO
Comment out the fixsub stuff and the sendkey stuff (for SA systems only)
Comment out the KMEM line (old method for disabling scrambling)
Apply Alphawolf's new TivoApp patch (new method for disabling scrambling)

I can play all of the scrambled recordings that were made prior to hacking and all of the new stuff is recorded unscrambled (and plays back fine).

My understanding is that you only need to nuke your CSOs if you recorded stuff while any of the old descramble methods were in effect.

Check your rc.sysinit.author to make sure the "kmem=..." line is disabled/commented out/not present. That would certainly cause problems when combined with Alphawolf's TivoApp patch. Otherwise, the TivoApp patch should allow you to play all of your previously recorded (scrambled) recordings and cause all of your new ones to be recorded unscrambled.

FYI: You can use mfs_ftp to archive your scrambled recordings in TMF format. You will be able to restore them to the TiVo they came from and play them, but you won't be able to do anything else with them (like burn them to DVD). At present time, there is no method of un-scrambling a scrambled recording on a Series 2 TiVo (D- or otherwise). The method that was used on the Series 1's is unavailable on the Series 2's due to the necessary symbols not being exported in the new kernels.

-psxboy

webwide
03-26-2004, 10:16 AM
None of this sounds right to me...

Here's what I did with my SA S2 (should be the same for S2 DTiVo):
Get Monte going, telnet, ftp, etc. with Sleeper's ISO
Comment out the fixsub stuff and the sendkey stuff (for SA systems only)
Comment out the KMEM line (old method for disabling scrambling)
Apply Alphawolf's new TivoApp patch (new method for disabling scrambling)
I have indeed done all that

Check your rc.sysinit.author to make sure the "kmem=..." line is disabled/commented out/not present. That would certainly cause problems when combined with Alphawolf's TivoApp patch. Otherwise, the TivoApp patch should allow you to play all of your previously recorded (scrambled) recordings and cause all of your new ones to be recorded unscrambled.
kmem is commented out - pre-hack recordings still won't play

While we're on the subject I am puzzled by something. When I first ran sleeper's ISO and backed up my old TiVo drive it used up about 300+MB of drive space. I then did the restore, surgery and hacks phase to the new 160GB drive. When I first connected using MFS_FTP I found all of my original movie files already on the new drive! Most files are over 1GB. How did they get there?

captain_video
03-26-2004, 10:53 AM
When I first connected using MFS_FTP I found all of my original movie files already on the new drive! Most files are over 1GB. How did they get there?

I think you may find that they are actually phantom files carried over from the Now Playing list on your old drive. If you try to transfer them over you will probably get an error message. The links are still showing up but the recordings never got backed up with the rest of the system.

webwide
03-26-2004, 10:59 AM
I think you may find that they are actually phantom files carried over from the Now Playing list on your old drive. If you try to transfer them over you will probably get an error message. The links are still showing up but the recordings never got backed up with the rest of the system.

Now see, that is exactly what I expected! But in MFS_FTP I have successfully transferred these 'phantom' files back to my Windoze hard drive and they are all large files (500MB-2GB in size). I thought all those files would still be stuck on my original 40GB TiVo drive. :confused:

Either way I'm thinking I need to stick the original TiVo drive back in here and copy the files to my Windoze drive then MSF-FTP them over to the new TiVo drive. We'll see how that goes.

psxboy
03-26-2004, 11:47 AM
If you just want to get to the point where you have a hacked drive that includes all of your previous recordings, you're probably better off starting from scratch again:

Take your original TiVo drive (with the recordings you want to keep) and "back it up" to the new, larger drive using the "I want to keep my recordings" section of the Hinsdale's How-To. Once you've got the larger drive that includes your recordings, go through the Sleeper ISO process but skip the backup & restore phases & go directly to the surgery & final hacks phases. Once it's done doing what it does & dumps you back at the main menu, switch to another console (ALT+F2), edit your rc.sysinit.author, patch your TivoApp, then shutdown & put the drive back in the TiVo.

That's what I did & it worked right "out of the box". It doesn't really take very long to hack the drive anyway... might be faster than beating your head against a wall trying to figure out what went wrong.

-psxboy

webwide
03-26-2004, 02:39 PM
If you just want to get to the point where you have a hacked drive that includes all of your previous recordings, you're probably better off starting from scratch again:

Take your original TiVo drive (with the recordings you want to keep) and "back it up" to the new, larger drive using the "I want to keep my recordings" section of the Hinsdale's How-To. Once you've got the larger drive that includes your recordings, go through the Sleeper ISO process but skip the backup & restore phases & go directly to the surgery & final hacks phases. Once it's done doing what it does & dumps you back at the main menu, switch to another console (ALT+F2), edit your rc.sysinit.author, patch your TivoApp, then shutdown & put the drive back in the TiVo.

That's what I did & it worked right "out of the box". It doesn't really take very long to hack the drive anyway... might be faster than beating your head against a wall trying to figure out what went wrong.

-psxboy

But first I've got to extract shows recorded *since* the original hack. Then after doing the Hinsdale copy I can re-add the MFS_FTP S2 binaries and copy those more recent shows back over. They're unscrambled so should work just fine.....

Boy does my head hurt! :o