PDA

View Full Version : recording size question

Lyle
04-01-2004, 12:44 PM
I'm curious about something. Last night I recorded a 1 hour show on FOX and then a 1 hour show on UPN. The show on FOX came in at 1008 megs and the show on UPN came in at 1200 megs. Last week I recorded the same show on FOX and it came in at 880 megs. How come the sizes change so much when all the shows are exactly the same length of time? I can understand that maybe the UPN show was aired at a higher quality so it came in 200 megs bigger but why would the exact same show from FOX would come in 128 megs bigger the following week?

I ask this cause I'm trying to make SVCDS but when I cut the commercials from the UPN show I still end up with over 700 megs which don't fit on a cdr. Is there a setting or an option somewhere the might decrease the output file during muxing?

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

captain_video
04-01-2004, 02:24 PM
The shows vary so widely in size due to the different bitrates and resolutions that DTV uses for certain channels. Most channels are broadcast in 480X480 but it's been found that some locals may be broadcast in 352X480 resolution. The bitrates seem to be all over the place which is why the same 1-hour show on two different channels will end up being different sized files.

Lyle
04-01-2004, 02:40 PM
The shows vary so widely in size due to the different bitrates and resolutions that DTV uses for certain channels. Most channels are broadcast in 480X480 but it's been found that some locals may be broadcast in 352X480 resolution. The bitrates seem to be all over the place which is why the same 1-hour show on two different channels will end up being different sized files.

This is what I figured the case was. It still leaves the question though. Since my UPN local gives me ~1.2 gigs for a 1 hour show, how would I make an svcd out of it using tytools? It seems pretty impossible since I end up with 748 megs. I mean obviously an svcd is being made here but the whole point is to be able to fit it on a cdr. The only audio stranscoding I have are 192 and 224 bit. Maybe if I could use the 160 option it would chop the size enough but that option is grayed out. Anything else that could be done?

captain_video
04-01-2004, 02:49 PM
I don't do SVCDs so I can't help you there but I'm betting the folks at this (http://www.dvdrhelp.com/) site probably can.

sanderton
04-01-2004, 04:58 PM
I ask this cause I'm trying to make SVCDS but when I cut the commercials from the UPN show I still end up with over 700 megs which don't fit on a cdr. Is there a setting or an option somewhere the might decrease the output file during muxing?

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

You'll have to make an MPEG2 in TyTool then re-encode it to get it down to size.

Gordian Knot has all the bits you need; you can find a link to it at www.dvdrhelp.com

FredThompson
04-01-2004, 05:03 PM
Why must the entire recording fit on one CDR? You could make 2 files by editing with a break where advertisements go.

Gordian Knot is for MPEG4 encoding, isn't it? There are problems re-encoding DTiVo source.

Lyle
04-01-2004, 05:49 PM
I'm going to extract the ty stream, use GOP editor to cut the commercials and turn it into mpeg and then redo the mpeg with TMPenc. It's a bit of a hassle and it'll take time but it'll get the job done and I'm gonna have the bonus of getting rid of the overscan line while I do it as well. I just hope quality won't be compromised too much.

sanderton
04-01-2004, 06:31 PM
Gordian Knot can use whatever codecs you have to hand.

eastwind
04-02-2004, 09:14 AM
I thought that SVCD used a different mode to burn (one with less error correction) and that 750megs would fit (even 800). Did you try to burn it with VCDEasy or Nero or something that understands SVCD's filesystem?
ew