PDA

View Full Version : The $25,000 Audio Sync Question

Griff1324
04-01-2004, 09:24 PM
I know that this question has been asked before, but I have been gone for over a month. So here it goes...How can I solve audio sync problems with my DTivo?

I am using TyTool9r11 to extract the ty from the DTivo to my hard drive. I have it set to patch the audio holes and set as a TY stream. I then use the batch file that is floating around (on TriLights website) to convert the Ty into an Mpeg. I then use Mpeg2vcr to edit out the commercials. However, the audio is still off by the slightest bit.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

thanks,

Chris

captain_video
04-01-2004, 09:42 PM
Use TyTool for the entire process from start to finish. If you need to use an aftermarket authoring program then at least edit and convert the ty files to mpegs using TyTools. Forget about using the batch file unless there is some reason you need to convert your audio to ac3. Most DVD players will play back mpeg layer II soundtracks with no problem. Your process is the reason you're having synch issues.

Griff1324
04-01-2004, 09:49 PM
Captain_Video,

You have helped me out in the past and I greatly appreciate it. However, this is my first time using TyTool to edit out the commercials and I am not sure of the proper steps to do so. Can you point me in the right direction?

thanks,

Chris

FredThompson
04-01-2004, 10:15 PM
http://themurrays.homeip.net/downloads/tivo/tivo.html

Griff1324
04-01-2004, 10:40 PM
Thank you for the link to the guide. However, when I use GOPEditor, I cannot get "exact" cuts. I still get snipits of commercials after I do the cuts. This is due to the fact that the slider doesn't go frame to frame. Is there a way to correct this?

thanks,

Chris

FredThompson
04-01-2004, 11:50 PM
field accurate cutting has been in tytool for quite a while. That's what you're looking for.

bato
04-02-2004, 12:59 AM
But I don't think the guide is up to date to show that.

Press PageUp/PageDown to get into FAE mode.

Griff1324
04-02-2004, 01:22 AM
Is it just me or is this a pain in the butt to do. I hit page up and it takes me into FAE but I can only go forward 99 frames, or about 3 seconds. Is there anyway to scroll through the whole clip frame by frame much like MPEG2VCR?

Thank you all for the help!

thanks,

Chris

Griff1324
04-02-2004, 01:45 AM
I got everything to work ok!!! Now I have hours and hours of editing to do!

I am not looking to burn the videos to DVD right now, however, I shouldn't have a problem doing so will I?

Right now, I am creating a video library on my PC and streaming them wirelessly to my Xbox (via XBMP) hooked up to a 65 inch Mitsubishi HDTV in our living room. It's kind of like video on demand. Then when I am ready to burn them onto DVD they are already to go...I think?!?!

I know a lot will jump down the throats of newbs or "less educated" people like myself for asking such a question. However, you guys didn't give me any flack and pointed me in the right direction. I don't need someone to hold my hand but a little guidence helps a lot! I have no problems reading, that is how we all learn, but it gets frustrating using the search feature and reading through hundreds of posts to only find that you couldn't find an answer to your question. You guys pointed me in the right direction, I read some, played around some, and got it!

Once again, thank you guys for all your help and to those who have contributed to this great tool.

Thank you,

Chris

BTW, if anyone needs a hand modding their Xbox or where to find the software just let me know!

ronnythunder
04-02-2004, 01:50 AM
no, you can't do the whole file frame by frame. just use the main menu to find the "last good" key frame and go into frame editing at that point. in other words, as you're going forward, when you get to a frame that has commercial, g back to the previous, and drop into frame editing.

trust me, after doing it just a few times, you'll be a pro and probably won't even like the mpeg2vcr way anymore.

ronny

jdiner
04-02-2004, 01:57 AM
But I don't think the guide is up to date to show that.

Press PageUp/PageDown to get into FAE mode.
Look at the new FAQ. It is in there.

--jdiner

jdiner
04-02-2004, 01:58 AM
Is it just me or is this a pain in the butt to do. I hit page up and it takes me into FAE but I can only go forward 99 frames, or about 3 seconds. Is there anyway to scroll through the whole clip frame by frame much like MPEG2VCR?
No. GopEditor remains a GopBased cutting system. For many this is much much faster to do. Less time spent trying to scan through every frame.

For some it is a completely different mindset.

--jdiner

FredThompson
04-02-2004, 04:58 AM
Whenever possible, use GOP cuts.

You were treated nicely because you asked in a way which wasn't inappropriate. It was obvious you had been researching and just didn't find the answer. That's fine. The folks who make such a claim yet the answer is on the previous page of a thread or in the title of a sticky thread or are just plain rude are the ones who get jumped on.

It's far easier to find information and get good results with extraction than 2 years ago, that's for sure.

eastwind
04-02-2004, 09:09 AM
I know that this question has been asked before, but I have been gone for over a month. So here it goes...How can I solve audio sync problems with my DTivo?

I am using TyTool9r11 to extract the ty from the DTivo to my hard drive. I have it set to patch the audio holes and set as a TY stream. I then use the batch file that is floating around (on TriLights website) to convert the Ty into an Mpeg. I then use Mpeg2vcr to edit out the commercials. However, the audio is still off by the slightest bit.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

thanks,

Chris
FYI, the reason the batch file doesn't work as well may be because it uses vsplit and Josh hasn't' been keeping vsplit up to the same developmental stage as the main tool.
ew

captain_video
04-02-2004, 09:29 AM
The Trilight method is already outdated for the reasons cited by eastwind. This was developed before TyTool had the FAE feature. I've only used the batch file for audio conversion a few times with mixed results and use it only as a last resort. I use MPEG2VCR for edits when reprocessing VOB files created with older versions of TyTool. I can use TyTool to edit them with GAE but the FAE function causes it to crash. I find that if I do rough edits first with GAE then mux them and do a fine edit in MPEG2VCR I don't have the synch issues associated with using MPEG2VCR by itself. I can get some of the edits where I want them using GAE and get the rest pretty close so it's a matter of cutting out just a handful of frames at each cut point when I re-edit in MPEG2VCR. This keeps the synch problems to a level that's completely unnoticeable. If you can edit from start to finish with TyTool it yields excellent results whether you compile the DVD in TyTool directly or mux the edited files and use them in DVD-Lab or other authoring tool.

Griff1324
04-02-2004, 05:07 PM
I have edited a couple of files already and they came out perfect. This much easier than MPEG2VCR.

Couple of noobie questions; if you don't mind answering.

I know that FAE stands for Frame Accurate Editing but:

What does GOP stand for?
How about GAE?

Captain, you mentioned MUXing. What exactly is this? Is it combining the audio track with the video track?

Fred, you state that whenever possible to use GOP cuts. What is the advantage of doing this. It is rare that I can find a cut right between the end of the show segment and the begining of the commecial.

Finally, is the VOB file that is created with TyTool the only file that I need to create a DVD? I am assuming that I don't need the CUT and TXT files that are created during the TyTool process. I haven't looked into creating DVD's yet because I don't have the need to, but I was just curious.

Once again, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate all of your help. After months of having a hacked tivo, I can finally get perfectly edited videos :D It is people like you who get and keep people like me into hobbies of this nature.

While I always go to the "search button" first, because I like to read up on things and I usually find good information that I wasn't exactly looking for, sometimes it can be quite a difficult task to find the info you want. Hell, I even did the "old school" non-Monte hack by hand on my Tivo just to see if I could get it to work. I could have used an install CD but what "fun" is that? Not to mention, you don't learn anything.

I have seen on this message board, xbox-scene.com, and other "unmentionable" message boards the number of people who get bashed for asking a question. There always seems to be the one person who just constantly flames any newbie! I can only imagine how many people have been turned off from "hacking" their Xboxs, Tivos, etc.

Thanks,

Chris

BTW, I have since gone Monte. I was sick of re-installing all of the hacks everytime the Tivo crashed, which was more often than I cared for. However, I did use a CD to do the Monte hack...I figured that I put in my hours of searching, reading, and typing for the original hack.

FredThompson
04-02-2004, 05:14 PM
There is now a FAQ file in the TyTool thread.

captain_video
04-02-2004, 05:59 PM
Yes, muxing combines the audio and video into one file.

GOP = Group of Pictures

GAE = GOP accurate editing