PDA

View Full Version : Attack of the Newbies.

Punisher
04-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Hello All,
As you may have guessed I am new to the board, extremely new infact, having just registered last night. So I'll apologize now for any stupid questions I might ask in the future.

I was wondering if there was another forum for the extreme newbies like myself, to learn the terms and what not, because after reading a majority of the posts in this forum, I have no idea what any of you are talking about, lol. However, I am greatly interested and would appreciate any and all help given, thank you.

mrblack51
04-02-2004, 07:23 PM
Hello All,
As you may have guessed I am new to the board, extremely new infact, having just registered last night. So I'll apologize now for any stupid questions I might ask in the future.

I was wondering if there was another forum for the extreme newbies like myself, to learn the terms and what not, because after reading a majority of the posts in this forum, I have no idea what any of you are talking about, lol. However, I am greatly interested and would appreciate any and all help given, thank you.

i would suggest reading all the faqs, how-tos, etc over at xbox-scene, as well as checking out their forums. this xbox area is generic, but due to the tivo focus of ddb, the xbox area usually relates more to getting the xbox to interact with the tivo

edrock200
09-07-2004, 03:17 PM
Start here:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?act=ST&f=18&t=105495

After reading through that look through the beginner section here:
http://www.xbox-scene.com/tutorials.php

And if you still have questions post here:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showforum=18

or this forum of course. Thats what I did, and I knew absolutely zip about xbox modding. Basically, the steps are this:

Buy a modchip
Crack the case of your xbox and install it (lots of FAQs with pics to help with this)
Install a larger HD (optional)
Get a loader cd from newsgroups or else where, get a BIOS
Get XBMC (optional, but very cool)
Flash the BIOS
Load a dash board with your loader CD
FTP XBMC to your Xbox and edit your XBMC config file (optional)

Thats pretty much it. It's much simpler than it seems. Keep in mind though never request a BIOS or XBox software on the forums. Since these tools are made with xbox SDK's and the bios' are copyrighted, it's frowned upon to request such items as it can get the board in trouble.

If you are very "technically" challenged then consider a premodded xbox from online vendors, but again it's really not that bad, just do your research.

I read up on xbox-scene for a few months before modding mine and except for one small problem (which I was able to succesfully troubleshoot because of my research) it all went over great. I'd say the xbox is just as important as my Tivo, and hands down the coolest gagdet in my entertainment center, especially if you have a HDTV. :)

Once you get all this done you'll get the hang of installing apps and such via FTP, and you can play with emulators, home brewed apps, streaming media, etc.

*edit* just realized this post is 5 months old. LOL, oops.

Shark2th
11-01-2004, 07:31 PM
Hey edrock200.
Not to worry too much on the length of time between the original post and yours, I gained a lot out of both. I had tapped in to my DTIVO series 2 a while ago and just now started sniffing XBOX items, so I appreciate the insight!