PDA

View Full Version : Large Movies

ZiGz
04-03-2004, 12:31 AM
I downloaded a long movie (over 3 gigs) it ended up as 4 .ty files after getting it with tytools.

I followed the usual steps to create a DVD and it created 4 .vob files and I was just going to create 4 menu items. - Would the movie have played continuously? Or would it have stopped at each item?

Second Problem, when I went to create the IFO it had an error, I am not there right now but it was something about "Couldn't create Menu / GetLast == 2" I think.

Does anyone know why this happened or what this is from?

eastwind
04-03-2004, 07:30 PM
It would've played one at a time and gone back to the menu.

Try this. (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=106100&highlight=heist.ty.vob#post106100)

greyskies
05-16-2004, 09:17 AM
Have you found a solution that will let you play movie continuously without having to click on individual menu elements on SA DVD-Player??? If so, please advise, as I would love to be able to show my significant others (my wife and children) that we can burn movies direct to dvd without snags. Currently, the movies stop, and they have to click on the next menu element.

Hoping for your success to be shared with me.

Greyskies. :cool:

enchntr
05-16-2004, 11:14 AM
You should be making ONE .ty file out of the four if it's one movie. My understanding is TyTool has a problem with larger files (can't remember the size limitation though right now...just do a search).

To combine the files in Windows, just use:

copy /b "file1.ty" + "file2.ty" + "file 3.ty" + "file4.ty" completefile.ty

You should be able to do this with the VOBS as well...

captain_video
05-16-2004, 11:24 AM
I downloaded a long movie (over 3 gigs) it ended up as 4 .ty files after getting it with tytools.

I'm not sure what you did to get it as four ty files but you should have been able to download it as one large ty file. If the VOBs were created as a single fileset then they should play back one after the other. There's a 1GB limit by default on the size of VOB files so any authoring program would have created multiple VOBs during the compile process. Depending on the authoring tool you use, the VOBs will be compiled as a continuous set or as individual VOBs for each title. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

Continuous fileset = VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, VTS_01_3.VOB, etc.

Individual titles = VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_02_1.VOB, VTS_03_1.VOB, etc.

Either of the compilation methods will allow you to access individual titles from a main menu. TyTools will create individual titles when compiled. DVD-Lab will create a continuous fileset. Note that if an individual title exceeds 1GB in size then that title will have a continuous fileset for that title (VTS_02_1.VOB, VTS_02_2.VOB, etc.). Whether the VOBs will play sequentially without having to select them from the main menu depends entirely on how they were set up during the authoring process. This capability varies with each authoring program and not all of them will let you link from one VOB to start playback of the next one in sequence without having to go back to the main menu to select it. I believe TyTools now lets you link VOBs together with the current versions but I haven't played around with anything newer than version 9R8.

Waruwaru
05-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Not sure if this is your problem, but try these steps...

In TyTool (I am still on 9r13), you select the name of the show you want, and click GET, not Get Parts. That always produce a single Ty file for me.

In the IFO Editor, you can use the attach VOB option at the lower right side, this way, it only produce a single menu item for multiple VOBs.

Plasdaq
05-19-2004, 11:38 AM
...There's a 1GB limit by default on the size of VOB files so any authoring program would have created multiple VOBs during the compile process. Depending on the authoring tool you use, the VOBs will be compiled as a continuous set or as individual VOBs for each title. .

Maybe Im reading this wrong, but I havent had this happen. I have done several 2.8 GB movies with no problem. The VOB created was between 2.2 - 2.4 GB after editing, and it was only one VOB file.

Read here, posts 218 & 220 (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34402&page=15&pp=15&highlight=Parts)

I also extracted a movie that was 3.3GB and its in 1 .ty file. What version of Tytools are you using? Im using 9r14. If you can solve the 4 .ty file issue, this should fix your VOB issue..IMHO

eastwind
05-19-2004, 12:24 PM
Maybe Im reading this wrong, but I havent had this happen. I have done several 2.8 GB movies with no problem. The VOB created was between 2.2 - 2.4 GB after editing, and it was only one VOB file.

The 1 GB limit isn't imposed by your OS, it is imposed by the DVD spec. When you create an IFO fileset you will wind up with VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, VTS_01_3.VOB along with VTS_01_0.IFO and .BUP. Each VOB will be less than 1 GB.

ew